B Commerce/Science(adv MATH)[UNSW] versus B Commerce/Science (USYD) - which one?HELP! (1 Viewer)

deterministic

HSC

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: B Commerce/Science(adv MATH)[UNSW] versus B Commerce/Science (USYD) - which one?H

Also I thought commerce imports only went to UNSW - my ext1/2 tutor who's doing some law/commerce degree at unsw said UNSW commerce is fairly bad - main reason being the imports don't wanna speak to you (or are unable to speak to you)
>50% of usyd's business enrolment is international

in my tute for strategic management this semester, there were only 5 non-asians in my tute of ~20 people, including myself

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Re: B Commerce/Science(adv MATH)[UNSW] versus B Commerce/Science (USYD) - which one?H

It's a bad idea for you to pick Commerce if you don't actually like it.

And Adv. Maths is great. Totally doable if you're any good at maths. Getting high marks like mine... just requires a bit of effort over the semester.
lol what were your marks?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

lol what were your marks?
51. i think its pretty good myself.

(seriously though, High Distinction region)

cssftw

HSC

There is no significant difference between doing an "advanced maths" degree and doing a science degree with a major in maths.

Do this.
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE verify this? Sorry but how does Uni Maths work? is there a "normal mathematics" distinguishable from the Advanced Mathematics Course? Would majoring in maths in a Bcomm/Bsc course - would that be the same level of difficulty compared to simply doing Advanced Mathematics? Or is the major in maths of a lesser level compared to Advanced Maths?

Also SIDE QUESTION: Which degree do you see would allow me to reap the most benefits from it? Label your points, and get debating haha LOL

deterministic

HSC

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE verify this? Sorry but how does Uni Maths work? is there a "normal mathematics" distinguishable from the Advanced Mathematics Course? Would majoring in maths in a Bcomm/Bsc course - would that be the same level of difficulty compared to simply doing Advanced Mathematics? Or is the major in maths of a lesser level compared to Advanced Maths?

Also SIDE QUESTION: Which degree do you see would allow me to reap the most benefits from it? Label your points, and get debating haha LOL
The name of the degree is rather insignificant, rather its the courses you do that matters. A person doing a science degree with a major in maths can choose all the "advanced" math courses and hence there is no significant difference. Obviously doing com/sci gives much more variety of subjects than simply doing adv maths, while for advanced maths, you do an honours year (you can do this through a science degree with major in maths as well of course).

Disclaimer: I am currently doing com/sci degree with major in finance, maths & stats at UNSW.

cssftw

HSC

what should I do then?

Also why is the Advance Maths/ Commerce degree a few atar points higher than the Advanced maths/ science degree?? iS IT because it's better?

Tazzz

HSC

what should I do then?

Also why is the Advance Maths/ Commerce degree a few atar points higher than the Advanced maths/ science degree?? iS IT because it's better?
because commerce has a higher student demand then science ie. more ppl want to do commerce atar is about demand. i go to unsw and do com/sci unsw has better organised courses from what i hear especially 1st year. unsw unlike usyd doesnt have a maths summer school. i would go to unsw if i was u i cant really c any reason to go to usyd, i think maths and commerce is better in unsw and also its one less year

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad

Don't be fooled into thinking that the 'Advanced Maths' degree is more prestigious or anything. It's 100% the same as a normal science degree with a major in maths, except in the Advanced Maths degree you MUST do honours and MUST do the higher level maths in 1st and 2nd year. It's pretty much clever marketing to trick HSC kids into thinking they will be a doing a smart degree.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Don't be fooled into thinking that the 'Advanced Maths' degree is more prestigious or anything. It's 100% the same as a normal science degree with a major in maths, except in the Advanced Maths degree you MUST do honours and MUST do the higher level maths in 1st and 2nd year. It's pretty much clever marketing to trick HSC kids into thinking they will be a doing a smart degree.
tricked us both :(

Though seriously, if you want to do Honours in Maths - I'd suggest picking Adv. Maths because if you don't want to do Honours, you'll be kicked out of the degree anyway. If you do normal Science, you have to apply and meet WAM requirements and whatnot.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad

tricked us both :(

Though seriously, if you want to do Honours in Maths - I'd suggest picking Adv. Maths because if you don't want to do Honours, you'll be kicked out of the degree anyway. If you do normal Science, you have to apply and meet WAM requirements and whatnot.
pretty much this. if you are really keen on doing honours in maths, pick up advanced maths anyway. same if you think you might want to do it. it's easier to pick it up, decide not to do honours then drop to comm/sci, rather than picking up honours from comm/sci.

deterministic

HSC

Not really cos if you don't meet the WAM requirements for honours, you get kicked out of adv. maths anyway. It's not really that much harder getting into honours from science than from adv. maths.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Not really cos if you don't meet the WAM requirements for honours, you get kicked out of adv. maths anyway. It's not really that much harder getting into honours from science than from adv. maths.
I think you need 70 WAM to get into Honours in Adv. Maths while you need 80 WAM in normal Science?

nichorowitz

HSC

With the adv math/comm degree what subjects do you study in your first year? A combination of math and commerce or strictly one or the other? Cheers

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

With the adv math/comm degree what subjects do you study in your first year? A combination of math and commerce or strictly one or the other? Cheers
You choose the subjects you study and you follow a plan.

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad

You choose the subjects you study and you follow a plan.
you don't have to follow the plan. you can switch around things if you like (e.g. the plan says to do Accounting 1A in first year first sem, i left it until second sem and did discrete maths instead)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

you don't have to follow the plan. you can switch around things if you like (e.g. the plan says to do Accounting 1A in first year first sem, i left it until second sem and did discrete maths instead)
My bad. I worded it badly. I meant there are certain rules you have to follow - for example, you can't enrol in MATH2xxx courses until you've done several MATH1xxx courses. I suppose I should've called them 'degree requirements' as outlined in the Handbook.

There are suggested plans (which maps out what you do for each semester) on the maths website that you can follow, but as ML said - I switched a few courses around.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

what should I do then?

just do com/sc at UNSW
the only difference is that adv maths one has honours attached onto it, meaning less places available, meaning higher atar cut-off
if you do com/sc at unsw you can choose whether or not u wanna do honours

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

yeh I still havent done accounting 1B and im in 3rd year next year lol
will probs do microeconomics in year 4 or 5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)