B Commerce/Science(adv MATH)[UNSW] versus B Commerce/Science (USYD) - which one?HELP! (1 Viewer)

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: B Commerce/Science(adv MATH)[UNSW] versus B Commerce/Science (USYD) - which one?H

In that first link for maths major in b sci - there is no Higher Maths. What is going on??
Yes there is. MATH1141 = Higher Mathematics 1A, MATH1241 = Higher Mathematics 1B

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: B Commerce/Science(adv MATH)[UNSW] versus B Commerce/Science (USYD) - which one?H

http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/currentstudents/admission-to-honours

QUOTE: "Admission to the Honours Year
Entry

The Honours year can be taken part-time or full-time in either Applied Mathematics, Pure Mathematics or Statistics.

To enter Honours in Mathematics or Statistics, students must have either:

Completed a Mathematics or Statistics major in the Science and/or Mathematics program, including at least 30 units of credit in Level III Mathematics

So completing the maths/stats major is obviously doable in Bcomm/Bscience - but is "at least 30 units of credit in Level III maths" possible in Bcomm/Bscience - also, what does that mean exactly? 30 units, of level III??
30 units of Level 3 = 5 3rd year maths courses

deterministic

HSC

In that first link for maths major in b sci - there is no Higher Maths. What is going on??
Notice that there are 2 course codes for each subject. The 2nd one is the higher equivalent.
Eg.
MATH2011 (normal level) or MATH2111 (higher) - Several Variable calculus.

cssftw

HSC

What is level III mathematics?

Is it any course with MATH3### or something else???

Last edited:

deterministic

HSC

^ yes, any course with MATH3###

deterministic

HSC

Right thanks. I'm guessing you can't do Mathematics 1A/B AND Higher Mathematics 1A/B - (in respective order) - and you have to pick one of them? So what does Mathematics 1A/B include exactly? And what type of people would choose Mathematics 1A/B over Higher mathematics 1A/B AND VICE VERSA?

Like I did 4U and got 92 - but I'm guessing HSC isn't relevant at all in determing this? haha
If you are serious about majoring in maths, do higher. You learn more and it scales better. Given your 4U mark, you should be fine with higher.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

SHADOW! Why did you hate commerce at UNSW? What was wrong with it?

I'm thinking of doing commerce... :( :(
Because I hate the content. Simple. Well, the content in Finance courses, to be accurate. Microeconomics was interesting, so was accounting... but finance wasn't.

Ok...hopefully...ONE FINAL LAST QUESTION:

If I pick Bcomm/BScience - Could I, if I choose, do every identical course that one would do in BComm/Bsci(ADV MATHS)? - I.E. could I choose to do either Pure Mathematics or Applied Mathematics in Bcomm/Bscience - along with everyother course? So two people (one in Bcomm/Bscience and the other in BComm/Bsci(ADvanced maths) could POSSIBLE/TECHNICALLY do the exact same courses, whilst being in two different degrees?
yes

Are all the commerce majors/ commerce core subjects the same
And is STATISTICS the only similarity between the two science majors of the respective degrees
yes
yes

Once again repeating the question, could I choose to do ADV math majors from a Bcomm/Bsci course + could I do honours (like in BComm/Bsci(ADV maths). Haven't decided yet, just wanna keep the option open
No, because Comm/Sci has 'Maths' or 'Stats'. Adv Maths has four possible majors.

And yes, you can do Honours. But if you do Adv Maths and don't want to do Honours, you get dropped to normal Science.

yep. the only exception is that there is one compulsory course that adv maths people have to do. SCIF1121 is the worst course ever. i can't even begin to describe it. it's complete shit and irrelevant. other than that, with a science degree with a major in maths, you could have the EXACT same qualifications and done the EXACT same courses as someone with an adv maths degree.
SCIF is awesome. I met lots of people in the course, which I wouldn't otherwise have met. Suddenly, people in my maths lectures were no longer faceless robots - but people from SCIF.

Right thanks. I'm guessing you can't do Mathematics 1A/B AND Higher Mathematics 1A/B - (in respective order) - and you have to pick one of them? So what does Mathematics 1A/B include exactly? And what type of people would choose Mathematics 1A/B over Higher mathematics 1A/B AND VICE VERSA?
Higher Maths has 15% extra content than normal Maths. If you want to find what Math 1A/B has, you go and find the course outlines on the Maths website and you read them.

Like I did 4U and got 92 - but I'm guessing HSC isn't relevant at all in determing this? haha
Who cares what you got in HSC? Uni is a fresh slate. You work hard, and you get good marks.

I've seen people who got Band 6s in HSC maths fall to scraping passes in uni maths. Why? They don't care, they don't put effort.

What is level III mathematics?

Is it any course with MATH3### or something else???
MATH3xxx.

Last edited:

cssftw

HSC

If you are serious about majoring in maths, do higher. You learn more and it scales better. Given your 4U mark, you should be fine with higher.
I'm not serious, I just would like to have the freedom and flexibility to do it if I choose haha

So...In this link for adv maths:

http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/advanced-mathematics-science

Are all the set courses compulsory, e.g. for STATISTICS is MATH1141 and MATH1241 and MATH1081 COMPULSORY for Stage1??
Also using STage 1 as an example....

....what does the

"Computer Science courses totalling 6 units of credit
Elective courses totalling 18 units of credit"

are these electives/computer science courses separate from the MATH1141/1241/1081?? Also where are the options for those electives???

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad

I'm not serious, I just would like to have the freedom and flexibility to do it if I choose haha

So...In this link for adv maths:

http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/advanced-mathematics-science

Are all the set courses compulsory, e.g. for STATISTICS is MATH1141 and MATH1241 and MATH1081 COMPULSORY for Stage1??
Also using STage 1 as an example....

....what does the

"Computer Science courses totalling 6 units of credit
Elective courses totalling 18 units of credit"

are these electives/computer science courses separate from the MATH1141/1241/1081?? Also where are the options for those electives???
electives = whatever the hell you want to do. ANYTHING. literally ANYTHING.

computer science courses = COMP1911/1917

cssftw

HSC

electives = whatever the hell you want to do. ANYTHING. literally ANYTHING.

computer science courses = COMP1911/1917
Wow sounds bloody tempting haha

So looking at this one: http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/science -- there are no electives?? :( :

Also looking at the above link:
Go right down to the bottom where it says: "Double major in mathematics and statistics"

Right down at the bottom it says: Please be aware that to fulfill the requirements for a Double Major in Mathematics and Statistics you will be required to use one of your FREE ELECTIVES in order to complete the double major.

Free electives? I didn't see any room for electives throughout the page - so ummm... how does it work? Like how many electives would I get if I did Bcomm/Bscience with this double major

Is it 0?

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad

Wow sounds bloody tempting haha

So looking at this one: http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/science -- there are no electives?? :( :

Also looking at the above link:
Go right down to the bottom where it says: "Double major in mathematics and statistics"

Right down at the bottom it says: Please be aware that to fulfill the requirements for a Double Major in Mathematics and Statistics you will be required to use one of your FREE ELECTIVES in order to complete the double major.

Free electives? I didn't see any room for electives throughout the page - so ummm... how does it work? Like how many electives would I get if I did Bcomm/Bscience with this double major

Is it 0?
there are free electives there, they just didn't specifically state that. the courses listed aren't the only ones you do in those stages.

e.g. look at the very first one. you're not gonna be only doing 3 maths courses FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR.

cssftw

HSC

there are free electives there, they just didn't specifically state that. the courses listed aren't the only ones you do in those stages.

e.g. look at the very first one. you're not gonna be only doing 3 maths courses FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR.
So you know for Advanced Maths - were it says there are 18 or 12 units of electives for a year: http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/advanced-mathematics-science

Even though this website doesn't say anything, can I assume there are 12-18 units of electives in these majors: http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/science ??

LOL why wouldn't they specify anything about electives there?

deterministic

HSC

So you know for Advanced Maths - were it says there are 18 or 12 units of electives for a year: http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/advanced-mathematics-science

Even though this website doesn't say anything, can I assume there are 12-18 units of electives in these majors: http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/science ??

LOL why wouldn't they specify anything about electives there?
Yes. If you want to do com/sci (either finance or actuarial for commerce), you can find sample plans there.
Finance - http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/finance-study-plan
Actuarial - http://www.maths.unsw.edu.au/futurestudents/actuarial-study-plan

Last edited:

Hanataro

HSC

Because I hate the content. Simple. Well, the content in Finance courses, to be accurate. Microeconomics was interesting, so was accounting... but finance wasn't.
I understand. :)

What's the maths content like in commerce? So...
- How much maths is in commerce
- Rough indication of 'level' of maths (e.g. students who did general/2unit/3unit would be fine...)?

Just curious. I didn't do any commercial studies subjects for HSC, so just want to know how mathsy commerce is. :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

Maths in Commerce from what I've found is very little, perhaps 20-25% overall. General maths students will cope fine.

HSC
Uni Grad

Don't be fooled into thinking that the 'Advanced Maths' degree is more prestigious or anything. It's 100% the same as a normal science degree with a major in maths, except in the Advanced Maths degree you MUST do honours and MUST do the higher level maths in 1st and 2nd year. It's pretty much clever marketing to trick HSC kids into thinking they will be a doing a smart degree.
+1. That's why the cutoff for that degree is higher.

tricked us both :(

Though seriously, if you want to do Honours in Maths - I'd suggest picking Adv. Maths because if you don't want to do Honours, you'll be kicked out of the degree anyway. If you do normal Science, you have to apply and meet WAM requirements and whatnot.
yep. the only exception is that there is one compulsory course that adv maths people have to do. SCIF1121 is the worst course ever. i can't even begin to describe it. it's complete shit and irrelevant. other than that, with a science degree with a major in maths, you could have the EXACT same qualifications and done the EXACT same courses as someone with an adv maths degree.
To add:
SCIF is a shitty subject, but if you are good at english skills, it's a good WAM booster, from what I've heard. I recall that one of the assignments was writing about a biography of yourself. You even get to go to the SCIF camp. But then again, I would avoid this subject imo.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

SCIF is an awesome subject for meeting people, because I met many people I otherwise wouldn't have. And never, ever, ever underestimate the strength of that.

Fig Newton

HSC
N/A

It might be worth your while to take a look at the science, math and finance courses at UTS as you may find what you need there. They have some pretty good degrees and the place is easy to get to. FYI......The uni is having an info day tomorrow (4th of Jan).

If ya want to make real money, then choose a degree majoring in finance but with a heavy math component. A course in physics also helps. Impresses the hell out of employers when you tell them you have a degree that includes physics. They then put you in the rocket scientist category. Then aim to get into one of the big banks, insurance or stockbroking companies on the forex, futures or finance side.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)