• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Ban on Gay Marriage (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Phanatical said:
I don't support Gay marriage, since marriage as an institution has always had a religious grounding, even in non-western societies.
1. You make the fallacy of appealing to tradition. Simply because something has been the case does not mean it SHOULD be the case.

2. Marriage may have had a grounding in religion but it is now as much a legal matter as it is a religious matter. There are rights attached to marriage. Further there is symbollic equality attached to marriage which is being denied to gay people on no logical basis.

3. Further, as to this religious nonsense, my parents have been married for over 25 years, but they are not religious at all. Does that mean they are destroying the institution of marriage?

Phanatical said:
Many of my gay classmates in fact don't support gay marriage, for this same reason, and also because gay marriage is an attempt to "straighten" the gay community, or something like that. Whatever their reasons, there are many gay people against gay marriage. There are also lots of straight people against gay marriage.
You make the fallacy of appealing to majority, and also to authority. No matter how many people believe something does not mean it is right, no matter if they are gay, straight or whatever.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
If they don't support gay marriage due to groundings in religion why should they support marriage between two non religious people?

Naming it something else as different to straight people I just see as an attempt to segregate the two groups, particularly if they have different sets of legislation.

daiana

Mmmeo0owwWw
HSC
If Lil Johnnie had a thing for Bushy, then gay marriages will be permitted.

I believe one day that gay marriages will be allowed. Not sure if it's in my lifetime, but there'll be some type of "gay marriages movement" leaded by someone of my generation. whether they'll be successful or not is currently not of my strong interests. It's very cruel to ban gay marriages. Everyone's still a conformist and not allowing their minds to open up to new parameters. Tis quite cruel indeed.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Phanatical said:
I don't support Gay marriage, since marriage as an institution has always had a religious grounding, even in non-western societies. Many of my gay classmates in fact don't support gay marriage, for this same reason, and also because gay marriage is an attempt to "straighten" the gay community, or something like that. Whatever their reasons, there are many gay people against gay marriage. There are also lots of straight people against gay marriage.

Ummm... yeah. Marriage in OUR society is now largely a legal and social institution. Religion is much less likely to come into it.

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
Phanatical said:
I don't support Gay marriage, since marriage as an institution has always had a religious grounding, even in non-western societies. Many of my gay classmates in fact don't support gay marriage, for this same reason, and also because gay marriage is an attempt to "straighten" the gay community, or something like that. Whatever their reasons, there are many gay people against gay marriage. There are also lots of straight people against gay marriage.
i didn't know all religions were against homosexuality

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Not-That-Bright said:
I think one reason to ban gay marriages is to stop them procreating!
Well why don't we also stop those with undesirable genes from procreating as well. Seems a bit oppresive to say who can and can't procreate using technology.

Oh, and the technology isn't near the stage required yet ;)

budj

HSC
crazyhomo said:
i didn't know all religions were against homosexuality
All religions are not against homosexuality. Buddhism, for example, is not

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
milad_g said:
I hope gays enjoy their time in hell; check-out time: NEVER!!!
You are what we class as special people.

People who have lost all ability to think for themselves, and post with any sort of logic or argument to your posts.

People who sit there happily in church playing with their fingers while listening to the latest sermon, and then go home and go "La la la God/Allah/Zeus is so great la la la".

Don't worry I'm sure someday you will find someway to pass on your useless genes to the next generation so they may waste space on the earth.

At least gays can be productive on the Earth, much more so then religious fanatics.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Xayma said:
You are what we class as special people.

People who have lost all ability to think for themselves, and post with any sort of logic or argument to your posts.

People who sit there happily in church playing with their fingers while listening to the latest sermon, and then go home and go "La la la God/Allah/Zeus is so great la la la".

Don't worry I'm sure someday you will find someway to pass on your useless genes to the next generation so they may waste space on the earth.

At least gays can be productive on the Earth, much more so then religious fanatics.
i think he/shes more than a religious fanatic i think he/shes a religious fanatic who is shallow and does not even attempt to step into the shoes of someone other than his/her own

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I don't think they choose to be gay but they could control their desires...
I have no problem with people that are gay, i have a problem with people that are flamboyantly gay.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
how profound (after thoundands of posts in this thread) You mean gay people are not gay on purpose in order to destroy the world! shock horror!!!! :rolleyes:
i never said they were out to destroy the world. i think you probably thought that just cause im christian or something. ive always stuck by this view

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I disagree with gay people about the same ammount as i disagree with people that like to shit, piss on each other to get off, or set up elaborate odd fetishes..... does that make me homophobic too?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I disagree with them too.... the same ammount, it's about thinking someone's sexual practice is a little gross... it's not about me hating them or thinking they're lesser people because of it.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I'm not saying that i think they're carrying out a 'wrong' sexual act, i'm just saying to me it seems gross.

As you have voiced many times, you feel that fat people are gross and should look after themselves better.. but what right do you have to say that if i cannot express what i feel is gross or not?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
lukebennett said:
i disagree with homosexuality but i whole heartedly agree that they can live how they wish to. i endorse them for who they are and not what they are as i do for everyone. i completely accept that they should be able to live how they like. i just disagree with homosexuality for myself but i agree that they should be able to choose
So if they wish to be married then you have no problem with this?

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
So I can't have the opinion that different sexual practices are gross? You must have your own views on what is gross to you too... I don't support forcing my standards onto other people but i just have them, as do you.

I think you have an agenda that christian people (bennet) or right wingers (me) must inherently hate gay people and you're looking for a way to justify this.

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
id disagree with calling it marriage. a civil union which does the same thing maybe. but marriage was made for men and women and i think to respect that marriage should remain for man and women

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)