band cut offs (1 Viewer)

absorber

HSC
Re: Would this be enough for a band 5?

do you think it could possibly be 89?

(If it is ...)
Yes, it's possible... But, although the aligning probably won't be massively generous this year, this is all speculation, we can't pinpoint it down to an individual mark. In previous years 100 has gotten a band 6 though

ashllis92

HSC
Re: Band 6 Raw?

The difficulty in the paper came from the need for higher interpretation, once you knew what they were actually asking you to do and when you knew how to apply a concept the maths itself was relatively straightforward. This helps to pick the rote learners from the people who really understand the maths behind the pretty formula. So scaling could swing either way really, either they will say, "the maths involved wasn't too difficult so the mark will be a bit higher" or they might say "the paper involved a lot of interpretation and application of principles hence making it difficult so we'll lower the aligned mark" Hopefully the latter but as I said, it could swing either way!

Chapppo

HSC

i herd that a 72/120 in 2003 was scaled to 82 and this paper was at least in the same range as that that one. you can say that it wasnt that difficult, and that it was just the different setting of the paper that through people, but the fact is that general marks will be lower for this exam as a result. therefore i would hazard a guess, that around 75 is a safe band 5, and 94 will be close to band 6

Here's hoping

ashllis92

HSC

So what are we thinking for around about 110-112/120?

And rank 1st internally by around about 25%

xFusion

HSC

The difficulty in the paper came from the need for higher interpretation, once you knew what they were actually asking you to do and when you knew how to apply a concept the maths itself was relatively straightforward. This helps to pick the rote learners from the people who really understand the maths behind the pretty formula. So scaling could swing either way really, either they will say, "the maths involved wasn't too difficult so the mark will be a bit higher" or they might say "the paper involved a lot of interpretation and application of principles hence making it difficult so we'll lower the aligned mark" Hopefully the latter but as I said, it could swing either way!
Yes this is true. I didn't get time to finish the circle question = -1 mark LOL
WTH was the isosceles triangle question where you had to divide it into 4 isosceles? fail =.=
Im thinking ~110-115 after all stupid errors have been accounted for.

ashllis92

HSC

Yes this is true. I didn't get time to finish the circle question = -1 mark LOL
WTH was the isosceles triangle question where you had to divide it into 4 isosceles? fail =.=
Im thinking ~110-115 after all stupid errors have been accounted for.
I think you had to use a compass for it, that's what i did, just drew circles everywhere and joined a few dots haha probably didn't get it though! I just remembered doing something vaguely similar in year 8...
I couldn't get the rollercoaster question, i differentiated and all but my simultaneous equations were all over the place and i didn't wanna waste more time on it but yeah 110-112, Worst case scenario = ~ 105

M3riJaan

Another Member
HSC

I think you had to use a compass for it, that's what i did, just drew circles everywhere and joined a few dots haha probably didn't get it though! I just remembered doing something vaguely similar in year 8...
I couldn't get the rollercoaster question, i differentiated and all but my simultaneous equations were all over the place and i didn't wanna waste more time on it but yeah 110-112, Worst case scenario = ~ 105
compass?!?!

no way all you had to do was show that the triangle from the first part of that q was present in 2 forms in the blank triangle. I actually got that one, not worth the 1 mark though for the time people would have spent on it.

ashllis92

HSC

compass?!?!

no way all you had to do was show that the triangle from the first part of that q was present in 2 forms in the blank triangle. I actually got that one, not worth the 1 mark though for the time people would have spent on it.
Bummer! Ah well, it was only one mark at least. Knowing BOS they might've made it 2 or 3.
Did anyone else think that some of the mark weightings were a bit strange?

xFusion

HSC

Bummer! Ah well, it was only one mark at least. Knowing BOS they might've made it 2 or 3.
Did anyone else think that some of the mark weightings were a bit strange?
Really? I thought they were alright. What did you think were strange?

ashllis92

HSC

wait nope, they were ok that must've been a past paper i was thinking oflol

oh-em-gee

HSC

Hey, just sharing my opinion, no need to get angry if I accidentally say something inconsiderate...

This paper was quite easy, although it is true that generally q1-7 should be completed in about an hour, at elast, when I've done it. This exam, not the case - however, this did come, as some have said, from the ened to interpret the question, as well as a higher amount of logical deduction and inference required. Ie. loan repayments - completely different format to those usually tested, but all it required as an application of GPs, as usual.

Personally, I'm not sure how well I did, I wasn't counting the marks that I missed, and I did attempt all the questions.

johnny1991

HSC

Ok i fink i didnt do 2 bad but the thing that killed me was time management....
i fink band 6 cut of mite be around 97ish and band 5 cut of around 80/120.....btw any clues on approx 93/120 ??

Thanks much appreciated!!!!

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Cut off for Band 4?

What do you reckon it will be around, 50-52% raw, coz in 2003, some guy got a 61% raw and got 82/100 aligned.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Re: Cut off for Band 4?

This year I got 43 raw and 96 aligned. Band 4 cut-offs probably around 12-15.

La Bomba

HSC

what does everyone rkn 58/120 wuld scale to in hsc mark for this yr. 70?

whoisurdaddy

HSC

For reference i got 85 aligned last year and thought i got somewhere around 90-95/120 raw

Norcinu

Charliezard
HSC
Re: Would this be enough for a band 5?

D: Damn, I'm cutting it close for a band 5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)