Battle of the Broadband Providers!!! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
Cos it doesn't have peaks, which suck, however when you have 60 whopping gigs on each peak, it's really not even worth caring about unless you dl constantly.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
i really can't have the offpeak/onpeak crap.

i actually have two of the connections,
so its $260 a month,

but im not the only one using the internet,
quite a number of people do, so yeah.

id go for telstras $330 unlimited,
but that requires an ABN, and the techie to come and make sure nothing sinister's going on

w8t4hope

HSC
i personally wud so love to go on TPG but its so shit in rural areas..
speeds are irregular and often dont work.

Rage_Quitter

HSC
Someone save me,

Can someone tell me if I should use Optus? And how I do change Net Providers effectively and quickly, actually safely is a better way of putting it?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Exetel :D Although I don't know how they are with ADSL2 since here in the backwaters of Port Macquarie our only high speed options are Telstra and TSN :(

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
Internode is heaps more expensive than TPG. Also people who review shit for TPG are mostly the angry people who probably out of shit luck had their internet crash while their 1 gig download of a game reached 99%, and they have nothing to get back at so they make angry reviews.

Let's face it, every provider crashes time to time. It might even have something to do with your wireless.

also optus crashes practically every hour for me when i'm capped, and both optus and bigpond are 13098509385x more expensive than either internode or tpg
Sure, TPG are cheap, lots of data. If thats all you need then great, go with them.
Internode on the other hand care about their network as a whole, they care about the future, they provide lots of extras to their customers. Now you may not care about this, I'm a geek, I do.

The only time my internode connection has gone down when was I was upgraded to ADSL2.

I have friends who are with TPG and as soon as it hits off peak time the speeds drop. I never notice a speed difference.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
Someone save me,

Can someone tell me if I should use Optus? And how I do change Net Providers effectively and quickly, actually safely is a better way of putting it?
do that churn thing.
also make sure you have the termination in writing.
also make sure you can change without a fee.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Churning is usually fee free if you're not still in your contract. I went from Bigpond > Interchode... no problems.

HSC
We used to have the Telstra 12 GB plan but moved up to 120 GB for $50 with TPG. We pretty much just hibernate our computer so it automatically can download torrents offpeak time and turn off at peak time so it's pretty convenient if you download alot/ have a lot of users. However, I reckon Telstra certainly has better service so you need to consider the pros and cons of whichever service you use.

1. If you download <20 GB a month, go with one of the larger providers like Telstra because they are more likely to prioiritise customer service.

2. Make sure you get a plan where you don't get charged any extra after you get capped - Optus I think has some deals where every extra MB costs money which'd be INSANELY expensive.

3. If you download alot, it can be easy to go with TPG or whatever and set your computer to automatically download at off peak times so it's ready for you in the morning:)

4. Make sure you compare the capped and uncapped speeds. I think Telstra was much faster and more reliable when it wasn't capped than TGB but once it was capped it was horrendous and TGB was a bit better.

But it seems you've already chosen TGB which is pretty good in terms of downloading capacity which for us overrided its lesser customer service and cable relability.

ONE IMPORTANT NOTE WITH TPG: When we first got it was insanely slow, possibly slower than capped Bigpond. If this happens to you call them up and notify them so they can fix it. If it doesn't work call again until they fix it 'cause it took us like 2 -3 calls before they made our connection even vaguely close to the advertised speed. :)

Good luck choosing your new deal:)

xzkevinzx

HSC
TPG $50 for 120+gigs (as they upgrade constantly) enuf said

proringz

HSC
I have been with Optus (currently on ADSL2 12gb on peak and 24gb off peak) and am switching to TPG. Everyone I know who has it isn't complaining, and it's value for money is simple too hard to ignore.

Churning is usually fee free if you're not still in your contract. I went from Bigpond > Interchode... no problems.
lol

Someone save me,

There's a thing called churning where if both the ISPs support it, your internet service can be transferred in 1-2 days hassle free.
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=What_is_Rapid_Transfer_or_Churn
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/?tag=Free_Churn_ISPs

Last edited:

akore

HSC
im with TPG 150GB download limit $70 a month, ADSL2+ speed, never lags, awsome customer service. :D

HSC
Uni Grad
I have contacted some tpg friends to affirm speed doesn't drop (at least for them) when peak changes. It was mentioned before, iunno maybe it's a city thing.

kramxel

HSC
im with tpg and i sync at 20582 kbps. my actual download speed is around 1.7 MB/s
their dropouts arent too bad, usually only when there is bad weather in my experience.
their cap speeds are ok, every time im capped the 128k shaping becomes like 512k

xMaFF

HSC
im with TPG 150GB download limit $70 a month, ADSL2+ speed, never lags, awsome customer service. :D
You're kidding, right?
As my parents cannot speak English very well, I am responsible for doing most of the telephone calls. Today I called TPG and I would like to review my experience with them was shocking. The most unpleasant, stressing phone inquiry I've had.

I was transferred without notice 5 TIMES, each time having to repeat myself to a different person. After the sixth transfer, I thought it was ridiculous and just gave up.

Me: "Hi, I would like to make an inquiry about your ADSL2+ internet packages. Could you tell me a bit about your current offers?"
TPG: "Sure, I'll direct you to the sales department... Please hold"
Me: "Sure, ok.."

*After the 5th transfer*

TPG: "...Please hold"
Me: "I'VE BEEN REPEATING MYSELF 5 TIMES TO GET A DECENT RESPONSE FROM MY SIMPLE INQUIRY, CAN YOU PLEASE JUST TELL ME ABOUT YOUR ADSL2+ BROADBAND PACKAGES!?!?!"
TPG: "...Please hold :)"

AHHHH OMG!!!!! *Hangs up phone*

I think all that stress is enough to take a week off my life expectancy.
Sorry for all the drama, I just thought that the way they handle their customers over the phone was APPALLING. My parents are still keen on joining TPG (because they're affordable) so I'll give them a call another day. I don't think I have enough energy though to inquire / confront them again today..

Edit: Uuugghhh. FML.

Last edited:

kramxel

HSC
You're kidding, right?
As my parents cannot speak English very well, I am responsible for doing most of the telephone calls. Today I called TPG and I would like to review my experience with them was shocking. The most unpleasant, stressing phone inquiry I've had.

I was transferred without notice 5 TIMES, each time having to repeat myself to a different person. After the sixth transfer, I thought it was ridiculous and just gave up.

Me: "Hi, I would like to make an inquiry about your ADSL2+ internet packages. Could you tell me a bit about your current offers?"
TPG: "Sure, I'll direct you to the sales department... Please hold"
Me: "Sure, ok.."

*After the 5th transfer*

TPG: "...Please hold"
Me: "I'VE BEEN REPEATING MYSELF 5 TIMES TO GET A DECENT RESPONSE FROM MY SIMPLE INQUIRY, CAN YOU PLEASE JUST TELL ME ABOUT YOUR ADSL2+ BROADBAND PACKAGES!?!?!"
TPG: "...Please hold :)"

AHHHH OMG!!!!! *Hangs up phone*

I think all that stress is enough to take a week off my life expectancy.
Sorry for all the drama, I just thought that the way they handle their customers over the phone was APPALLING. My parents are still keen on joining TPG (because they're affordable) so I'll give them a call another day. I don't think I have enough energy though to inquire / confront them again today..

Edit: Uuugghhh. FML.
cant u just go online and check out their offers there?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)