Best/Most Useful Textbook (1 Viewer)

bawd

HSC
I use:

1. Maths in Focus (school)
2. Fitzpatrick
3. Online Tutoring at www.mathematics.com.au

I find Cambridge has too many irrelevant questions and since the explanations are all done in mathematic jargon, it is difficult to grasp certain easy concepts. But that's just me. :)

M@ster P

HSC
how about cambridge vs fitzpatrick + coroneous, this if for 3unit

I would be surprised if cambridge wins

qqmore

HSC
I'll say Cambridge yr 12 and 11 for extension maths are superior in all ways..... based on experience.

M@ster P

HSC
Would I be prepared for 3unit Hsc if i only relied on the green fitzpatrick book.

catsta

HSC
seems like cambridge is the three thumbs up winner. =D

i've been using cambridge for the last year or so & yea its quite a good book, but MAN is it horrible for your self esteem ==;;. the extension questions are near impossible for me & i find that REALLY discouraging & feel like flinging the book off my balcony.

also i dont seem to understand the topic introductions? they're so LOONG & filled with even LOOONNGGERR math-related words!

so basically i need a topic overview of every single topic before i delve into the cambridge questions to actually get what im trying to learn.

question,
does anyone use the excel 3U book? it has a really good summary of all the formulas and stuff you need to know & has working for all the questions. some of the methods are kinda questionable, but the workings there!

u-borat

Banned
HSC
i like couchman for an introduction into topics then cambridge for questions.

clearnote

HSC
no offense, but the maths in focus book is really easy, there's probably only one challenging question per topic and I'm only an average student.

Cambridge really tests your limits and helps you develop you skills on different levels...

imoO

HSC
I'm going to be using Maths in Focus this year in EXT.1 at school....I have Fitzpatrick but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough to get me 90+ for EXT.1. My teacher says if I can do every question in Fitzpatrick, I should be able to, but it depends on my rank so I dunno :S. I have to say Fitzpatrick is helpful though, went from 56% to 83% after I picked up the Fitzpatrick book.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Cambridge I found good for 3-unit. OUr school teacher INSISTs on Maths in Focus, which is quite annoying, and when we dont use that textbook we use Fitz. Coroneos ESCALATES in difficulty very quickly, if you can do it then you must be a machine/

Last edited:

counterman

HSC
I heard that the terry lee's text books are great.

Where can i purchase Terry Lee's textbooks such as Essentials of Mathematics ??

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
no doubt, cambridge is the bestest best. even if you can do development questions, you'll be sweet

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I heard that the terry lee's text books are great.

Where can i purchase Terry Lee's textbooks such as Essentials of Mathematics ??
Depends on which area you live in. If you live in the city you could probably purchase it from anywhere with Dymocks but if you live in a cheap place like Western Sydney then you can purchase it from a shop called Five Senses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)