Best NESA Approved Calculators (1 Viewer)

maryjane05

HSC
What's the best NESA approved calculator for math E1/E2. I'm talking as many functions as possible like vectors, complex numbers etc

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
These calculators are good in some aspects, and bad in others. It's pretty clear Casio is leaning towards making a 'checking answers' type of calculator, rather than building on what they had with the fx 100au and fx82aus. Personally, I feel this may lead to a big syllabus change in the future, likely rendering the functions of the calculator as useless. Using Perms and Combinations on that calculator is a huge hassle, and takes a heap of time. Even when you check answers its a huge process of changing heaps of settings. The exact values setting is cool and all, but doesn't this just make you more reliant on the calculator? All in all though, I'm clearly just pointing out the negatives here, im sure theres more functions that would be useful on it so pls don't quote me!!

Average Boreduser

𝙱𝚊𝚗𝚗𝚎𝚍
HSC
What's the best NESA approved calculator for math E1/E2. I'm talking as many functions as possible like vectors, complex numbers etc
For E1 and 2, just opt for the fx100au and you'd do absolutely fine. If you can buy two, I guess you should maybe purchase the 8200fx as well, but make sure that you know how to navigate through all of its settings!

carrotsss

HSC
These calculators are good in some aspects, and bad in others. It's pretty clear Casio is leaning towards making a 'checking answers' type of calculator, rather than building on what they had with the fx 100au and fx82aus. Personally, I feel this may lead to a big syllabus change in the future, likely rendering the functions of the calculator as useless. Using Perms and Combinations on that calculator is a huge hassle, and takes a heap of time. Even when you check answers its a huge process of changing heaps of settings. The exact values setting is cool and all, but doesn't this just make you more reliant on the calculator? All in all though, I'm clearly just pointing out the negatives here, im sure theres more functions that would be useful on it so pls don't quote me!!
the fx8200au has a much more intuitive ui, we’re all just too used to the old calculator. ive used it for a few months now and I couldn’t go back, it is so much better.

its not going to lead to any sort of a syllabus change, it’s not like a cheat (there were even other calculators that had its functionality before), it just saves a lot of time. being more reliant on ur calculator is a good thing, it just reduces your mistakes (and I think the whole ‘you won’t always have a calculator in your pocket‘ thing died a long time ago - year 12 maths is far beyond basic mental math)

some other features:
- wayyy better statistics menu
- variables that aren’t confusing af
- functions (you can use this to save formulas if u want)
- custom logs made easy
- complex number support - obv 100au has this too, but the exact values makes a massive difference for complex numbers because before you’d always end with long decimals which unlike normal numbers you can’t just square to find the value of, whereas now you just get the exact value

imo it’s worth it if you’re currently using an fx82au (for ext 2 students), I definitely wouldn’t buy the 100au anymore though it’s literally an extra $10 for a worse experience.

maryjane05

HSC
I currently have the fx-82au plus II so if I get the fx8200au I should be good for E1 + E2 right?

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
I currently have the fx-82au plus II so if I get the fx8200au I should be good for E1 + E2 right?
trust me dont buy it. its way too close to the HSC and it takes forever to learn to use cuz its completely different.
i take it into exams, but dont use it unless i need complex or exact values, which is rare because I'm used to doing it the normal way.

carrotsss

HSC
trust me dont buy it. its way too close to the HSC and it takes forever to learn to use cuz its completely different.
i take it into exams, but dont use it unless i need complex or exact values, which is rare because I'm used to doing it the normal way.
they’re in y11 it’s worth it for them

also I’d recommend just using it all the time you’ll get used to it faster than u think

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
they’re in y11 it’s worth it for them

also I’d recommend just using it all the time you’ll get used to it faster than u think
oh ok, then just ignore what i said.
ohhhhhhh its this maryjane confusing guy again, sorry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)