Biology Short Response Questions Part B (1 Viewer)

SpreadTheWord

HSC
Cool, i did the same as those.

For 27 (c), what did you write for how it ensures safety? I got the step in the flow chart right but not 100% sure if i explained how properly.
I put by taking the Nucleic acid out, it will weaken the virus or prevent it from being live and thus preventing the risk of contamination of the scientist. - general but i think i'll be alright.

Dylanamali

HSC
Good work man. But 25 (A) how can it be both ADH and water reabsorption - surely there are the same. Also, im pretty sure after it passes through the Bowman's capsule and into the tubules, any substances whether it be water content or glucose are selectively reabsorbed back into the loop.

I may be wrong.
25a) was label the processes that occur on the collecting ducts - which was 1) the action of ADH and 2) water reabsorption, as they go hand in hand...

2011_

HSC
And the one about the experiment on microbes in food and water. Had to list dependent variable, independent variable, control, and safety practices. The aldosterone question was 2 marks by the way. I can't remember exactly what it said either but i don't think it said blood? The active transport one in that question was C, but i think it said glucose reabsorption?
25a iii: I think it siad "body fluid composition" rather than blood.

dannielle_93

HSC
Ahh Vaccines are attentuated, weakened or genetically modified versions of a virus. By removing the nucleic acid, this creates a genetically modified version of the virus - which has the ability to trigger an immune response due to the presence of antigens, but because it has been genetically modified is unable to cause the disease or the symptoms of the disease... something along those lines.
It was only a 2marker.. so 1 for the step and 1 for a outline.. shouldn't have been too difficult to get the mark.
haha oh gosh, i spoke about how it puts it in a solute environment or something

smartalec

HSC
in regards to the similarities and differences question, is it too fa to say, as one difference, that the form was different, one was vertically presented and one was horizontally presented, with different axis labeling? or would they not accept that?

damo_g

HSC
in regards to the similarities and differences question, is it too fa to say, as one difference, that the form was different, one was vertically presented and one was horizontally presented, with different axis labeling? or would they not accept that?
I don't think they will accept that cause it's asked for similarities and differences in the "information" provided.

SpreadTheWord

HSC
25a) was label the processes that occur on the collecting ducts - which was 1) the action of ADH and 2) water reabsorption, as they go hand in hand...
Granted, but they are the same haha. If it had water reabsorption and Aldosterone then you'd be right. But i remember reading in regards to the filtration dot point, that water and glucose are reabsorbed into the loop of henle, which was the part that you had to label.

oh well, it all remains to be seen.

smartalec

HSC
what about for the flowchart one you guys were discussing? couldn't any of the steps be considered safety ad long as you justified it appropriately? I did the saline one coz it makes sure everything is out or something...can't remember rxactly. is that step ok?

-Jonny

HSC
27 a was 'Identify a virus' rather than an 'infectious disease'

-Jonny

HSC
I'm assuming the graphs were presented that way for that question specifically. It was used as a trick to separate the people who had studied and learnt their skills and the people who studied the syllabus.

shakky

HSC
How did everyone answer that Epidemiology question. I couldn't remember the exact features or whatever, but I did talk about observing/ analysing the diet, environment and genetics of those who had the disease and comparing to those who didn't have it. I elaborated on each aspect, but would this be ok to get atleast a 1-2/4

Tasha270494

HSC
How did everyone answer that Epidemiology question. I couldn't remember the exact features or whatever, but I did talk about observing/ analysing the diet, environment and genetics of those who had the disease and comparing to those who didn't have it. I elaborated on each aspect, but would this be ok to get atleast a 1-2/4
yeah. I'm pretty sure that would get you 1-2 marks.
I wrote about having a descriptive study - which is basically researching the disease itself (finding out the ages of people affected, the location/time period of affected people, their lifestyles, etc. ensuring that data was obtained from a large sample size on a variety of possible risk factors)
Then I talked about analysing the information and carrying out an analytical study (what you did) about having two identical groups of people (with similar lifestyles, ages, etc.). However, one group was exposed to the potential causative factor and the other group wasn't (control). This is carried over a prolonged period of time and then the results are compared to see whether that particular factor is the potential cause of the non-infectious disease or not. If no results, then repetition of the study is carried out on a different possible causative factor.

shakky

HSC
yeah. I'm pretty sure that would get you 1-2 marks.
I wrote about having a descriptive study - which is basically researching the disease itself (finding out the ages of people affected, the location/time period of affected people, their lifestyles, etc. ensuring that data was obtained from a large sample size on a variety of possible risk factors)
Then I talked about analysing the information and carrying out an analytical study (what you did) about having two identical groups of people (with similar lifestyles, ages, etc.). However, one group was exposed to the potential causative factor and the other group wasn't (control). This is carried over a prolonged period of time and then the results are compared to see whether that particular factor is the potential cause of the non-infectious disease or not. If no results, then repetition of the study is carried out on a different possible causative factor.
Wow. That answer will definitely get you full marks. What did you write in that stupid collaboration and communication of scientists question?

snorelacks

HSC
Anyone know the answer to the "how to increase the validity of the experiment" question?

Dylanamali

HSC
Anyone know the answer to the "how to increase the validity of the experiment" question?
ensure variables are constant - e.g. make the time of the test equal among all tests.
test a range of pH levels... the experiement presented only tested acidic levels, so test basic and neutral levels as well in order to address the aim more appropriately

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)