"Board of Studies lashed over HSC" and other stories (1 Viewer)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
re: "Board of Studies lashed over HSC", "HSC marks out of the dark"

Does that potentially mean that the board could lower the amount that they scale particular subjects because of this new thing.

If it does fuk ombudsman
The board doesn't do any scaling - that is UAC.

The board aligns and if the cut-offs are known why align at all.

The board will probably continue until there is too big a stink about how much they are upping the marks and then students might actually start to get their raw marks (I wish).

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A

Fuck yeah im famous. Will be signing autographs later.

ps. hi bos, long time no post

John McCain

Horse liberty
HSC
N/A

Students being swayed to pick subjects they may not enjoy/be good at because of the fact that something else 'scales' better. It happens already but if scaling numbers became official it would be worse 10 fold.
That's their prerogative. It will assist students who want to pick the highest scaling subjects.

The individual has to be responsible for their subject selection. If they want to select the highest scaling subjects, they should be free to do so, without being forced to do otherwise due to a lack of available data.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

A win for the students and Obudsmen.

I know I'll request my raw marks.

Last edited:

Lazarus

Retired
HSC

It could just lead to a greater number of students picking subjects because of scaling and more people complaining about the system. Transparency for the lose.
Students will not pick subjects based on scaling if they understand that there's usually no advantage to be gained by doing so.

The challenge for the future is to find effective ways to give students that understanding (as well as the greater educational community).

lol - finally at last. but with the board now required to give students their raw marks (upon request) does it mean that NSW may stand to lose their "Smartest State" title? would that be the case? or would the marks across the state be compared to other states in terms of raw rather than scaled marks?
No - there isn't any way to compare HSC marks and standards between states at the moment - the comparisons are based on other national tests.

Marking criteria have always been published.
bayan92 said:
By marking schemes I mean the answer sheets used by markers. Its in the report :)
As a marker that is what I am referring to - the marking criteria that we use to guide our marking and they have always been published.
In his report, the Ombudsman indicates that the Board sometimes draws a distinction between "marking guides" and "marking schemes".

The former are the "Notes from the Marking Centre" documents which appear on the Board's website. The latter are unedited versions of the former which include (amongst other things) correct answers and examples of answers which students might give. These sections are removed from the published marking guides.

The Ombudsman has recommended that all such documents be published.

Does that potentially mean that the board could lower the amount that they scale particular subjects because of this new thing.
No, I don't think there's any chance of that happening, but even if there were it would have no effect on ATARs.

Can we find a compiled list of raw marks and their scaled equivalents anywhere? Or do we have to wait for people to post their results first? Im talking about results from past years, so that I have a rough idea for myself in a months time.
The cut-offs are only useful where you can sit the examination paper for the particular year, mark it yourself and then align your own raw mark. They are essentially useless outside of that context, except to the extent that they give transparency to the system.

You can find a handful of cut-offs here, but there is no complete list available at the moment.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

It'd be good to see some raw/aligned marks and comparisons from people who sat the HSC last year or the year before.

Captain pi

HSC

@cem -- the marking criteria used at the time of marking is different to the notes from the marking centre published online; in particular, sample answers are removed before being published. (See p. 13 of the report.)

untouchablecuz

HSC

awesome

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

@cem -- the marking criteria used at the time of marking is different to the notes from the marking centre published online; in particular, sample answers are removed before being published. (See p. 13 of the report.)

As a marker I don't get given sample answers to use when marking.

All I get is a marking criteria so I don't know what he is getting at.

I never see a 'correct' answer - I suppose marking Modern History where there is no such thing might explain it but what is in the Notes is all that I have ever seen at marking - the marking criteria, which in Modern History hasn't really changed over the last 3 - 4 years.

-Onlooker-

HSC

Hello?

This is major bloody news!

Why aren't there like 3000 Posts already!

And OBD, excellent work.

As for the BOS lashing out $15 000 to conceal a few numbers... wtf! Not the best way to spend government funds or if we look at the bigger picture

There using our money (tax payers money) against us!

Damned evil BOS.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Hello?

This is major bloody news!

Why aren't there like 3000 Posts already!

And OBD, excellent work.

As for the BOS lashing out $15 000 to conceal a few numbers... wtf! Not the best way to spend government funds or if we look at the bigger picture

There using our money (tax payers money) against us!

Damned evil BOS.

As someone who knows how the aligning process works (having done it a couple of times) I can understand just why the BOS would want to protect these numbers - they don't want people to know just how low the raw marks are that are being reported as over 50 e.g. in some subjects a true Band 2 student could be getting a mark in the teens but being reported as 50%.

I hope this will see an end to aligning with all students automatically getting their raw marks. It would be more honest for kids who got 18% to be told that then told they got 50% due to aligning.

EvoRevolution

HSC
re: "Board of Studies lashed over HSC" and other stories

I hope this will see an end to aligning with all students automatically getting their raw marks. It would be more honest for kids who got 18% to be told that then told they got 50% due to aligning.
they can change it with the years to come, as long as its not this year ima happy.

unlikely anyway

T.Goodhew

Actuarial Co-op 06
HSC

Good work Captain Pi! I received your email and eagerly await the raw marks :) Best $10 i've ever spent!!

-Onlooker-

HSC

As someone who knows how the aligning process works (having done it a couple of times) I can understand just why the BOS would want to protect these numbers - they don't want people to know just how low the raw marks are that are being reported as over 50 e.g. in some subjects a true Band 2 student could be getting a mark in the teens but being reported as 50%.

You might of misunderstood me. Sorry about the confusion.

I'm all for students knowing they got 18% in exams.
Basically all alligning does is:
1) Make BOS seem like they produce smart and not retarded students
Essentially... They're just protecting themselves and the integrity of the NSW schooling system

If Ya ask me, I say, skip the whole alligning process and give us our bloody raw marks! This would have ZILCH effect on scaling and in my opinion make students work harder by redefining the standards they're expected to meet.

Also cem, what other subjects other than the history's have you marked???

Just my 2 cents

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

Essentially... They're just protecting themselves and the integrity of the NSW schooling system

If Ya ask me, I say, skip the whole alligning process and give us our bloody raw marks! This would have ZILCH effect on scaling and in my opinion make students work harder by redefining the standards they're expected to meet.

Just my 2 cents
Aligning could be done away with but the ATAR system should kinda stay the way it is (only fair systematic idea of ranking we have).

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Just my 2 cents

Like most people who mark I have only ever marked Modern History (I know some who have marked English and/or Ancient as well as that means that they teach those subjects). I only teach History (Ancient, Modern and Extension) but have only marked Modern as I got into that many years ago, made friends there and enjoy being with those people for a couple of weeks every year.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A

The cut-offs are only useful where you can sit the examination paper for the particular year, mark it yourself and then align your own raw mark. They are essentially useless outside of that context, except to the extent that they give transparency to the system.
Technically they are only of use to the particular year, but generally the raw mark cut offs for top bands stay the same, right?

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

Technically they are only of use to the particular year, but generally the raw mark cut offs for top bands stay the same, right?
Well, we'll need the raw marks to determine that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)