body modification in australian culture through both genders. QUESTIONNAIRE FOR PIP! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylorjayne

HSC
Hey guys, im doing my personal interest project on what influences male and females in australian culture to undergo body modification. it would help me a great deal if you could take some time to quickly fill this out for me to use as research for my pip. thanks! you can just reply on this or if you would like it to be anonymous forward it to my email address taylor-brown@live.com.au
also if you know anyone with body modifications please send me emails, myspace or facebook links or send them my email so they can get in contact
thankyou!

IF YOU HAVE BODY MODIFICATIONS:
male - female ?

what are your body modifications?

what were your parents reactions?

where did you get it done?

how have your friends reacted?

what attracted you to body mods?

how did you find out about them?

do you frequent body modification sites such as bmezine?

do you think body modifications restrict your acceptance in culture?

do you worry if it will affect career options?

do you plan on removing unpermanent mods when your older?

do you regret any mods?

IF YOU DONT HAVE BODY MODIFICATIONS:

male - female?

do you understand what is meant by body modifications?

if yes, do you like the appearance of them, dislike, or unfussed?

would you ever undergo body modification?

do you have any piercings (unstretched)?

do you believe it would restrict job opportunities for people with mods?

do you think people with body modification blend in with society difficultly or easily?

do you know any one with body modifications?

do you notice people with body modifications?

in general, do you believe body modifications add or detract to a persons appearance?

speedofsound

HSC
Re: body modification in australian culture through both genders. QUESTIONNAIRE FOR P

male - female? female

do you understand what is meant by body modifications? yes- piercings, tattoo's, plastic surgery, etc

if yes, do you like the appearance of them, dislike, or unfussed? unfussed to a certain degree- depends on the extremity of the modification.

would you ever undergo body modification? not extensive body modification.

do you have any piercings (unstretched)? yes, ears.

do you believe it would restrict job opportunities for people with mods? yes

do you think people with body modification blend in with society difficultly or easily? once again, easily if it is not extreme, difficulty if rather extreme.

do you know any one with body modifications? not particularly

do you notice people with body modifications? yes

in general, do you believe body modifications add or detract to a persons appearance? when extreme- it detracts.

taylorjayne

HSC
Re: body modification in australian culture through both genders. QUESTIONNAIRE FOR P

Brontecat

HSC

male - female? female

do you understand what is meant by body modifications? Plastic surgery, botox, piercings...

if yes, do you like the appearance of them, dislike, or unfussed? for the most part dislike, i just don't really see the point when you look at some of the risks, although smaller things like piercings don't really bother me. Tattoos however i kinda dislike, expecially as people get older and the tattoos don't really fit in with who they are anymore or end up wrinkled.

would you ever undergo body modification? no way, the idea of having needles stuck in my face to reduce wrinkles, or going under the knife to 'improve' myself have no appeal to me at all

do you have any piercings (unstretched)? yep, one in each year

do you believe it would restrict job opportunities for people with mods? i think it does, people that have tattoos and multiple piercings are perceived as rebellious law-breakers and people with botox and plastic surgery may suffer restricitons depending upon the modification e.g. severe botox (to the extent where they have difficulty speaking) may have limitations in the customer service industry

do you think people with body modification blend in with society difficultly or easily? Yes and no. People with limited tattoos or minimal piercings are generallly percieved as the norm. and in my experience people with botox and plastic surgery may be perceived as insecure, or as being arrogant.

do you know any one with body modifications? Just with piercings (e.g. 1 or 2 in each ear) and tattoos (along the arms).

do you notice people with body modifications? yes, they stand out quite a bit

in general, do you believe body modifications add or detract to a persons appearance?</SPAN> In general they detract to a person's appearance, to me they just seem like people who are insecure with themselves and too focused on external features rather than what's on the inside. Especially since, physically, we all reach the point where our appearance means a whole let less, particularly as we reach old age.

GOOD LUCK with the PIP, it's pretty good, something that most people wouldn't focus on :)

Last edited:

taylorjayne

HSC

thanks heaps :)

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC

http://community.boredofstudies.org...ys-research/236573/do-you-work-fast-food.html

male - female ?

what are your body modifications? piercings, lobe and helix

what were your parents reactions? positive

where did you get it done? at a hairdressers

how have your friends reacted? they like it

what attracted you to body mods? i liked the look of them

how did you find out about them? friends had them

do you frequent body modification sites such as bmezine? yes

do you think body modifications restrict your acceptance in culture? no

do you worry if it will affect career options? yes

do you plan on removing unpermanent mods when your older? no

do you regret any mods? no

taylorjayne

HSC

thanks guys keep them coming

Bella Casmin

HSC

male - female? Female.

do you understand what is meant by body modifications?
Yes- when the body is physically adjusted semi-permanently or permanently for non medical reasons or to 'enhance' ones physical appearance.

I don't really mind- it depends how major they are before I have an opinion really.

Probably not- each to his own, though.

Yes- two piercings in each ear.

In certain mainstream jobs then yes, because society is still that narrow minded. Although if they were to go into certain types of entertainment or even work at a body modification shop then it'd less likely restrict them.

do you think people with body modification blend in with society difficultly or easily? Again it depends on the severity. If they had large, noticeable ones they might find it more difficult. But subtle stretchers or cultural modifications should (hopefully) blend in easier.

Yes, several people.

Just as much as I notice the next person, it doesn't define them.

in general, do you believe body modifications add or detract to a persons appearance? I don't, really. I think they just... modify it. :S

:D Good luck.

lameee

HSC

male - female? female

do you understand what is meant by body modifications? yes-- body piercings, tattoos, plastic surgery etc...

if yes, do you like the appearance of them, dislike, or unfussed? i dont mind ear piercing but the unnecessary piercings and tattoos on the body i really dont understand and like!!

would you ever undergo body modification? no, unless it was for medical reasons

do you have any piercings (unstretched)? yes ear piercings

do you believe it would restrict job opportunities for people with mods?yes because, when i see an individual with extreme body modifications such as tattoos, piercings on the face they often times scare me!! so so i dont think they would be very approachable

do you think people with body modification blend in with society difficultly or easily? difficultly, we are all born as individuals and all have our own sense of identity but individuals with body modifications tend to stand out more in my opinion and not in a good way

do you know any one with body modifications?yes

in general, do you believe body modifications add or detract to a persons appearance? yes because i don't seen the point of having extensive piercings and tattoos if the individual is insecure and dose not like how their body looks why go to an extreme and add unnecessary attention,when they already feel like they dont belong in the society

hope that helped!!!

taylorjayne

HSC

:love:thankyou

SSRabbitohs2009

28:06:42:12
HSC

Do you know what is meant by body modification: By any means natural or unnaturally trying to change your body eg. diets & exercise with the intention of losing weight, tattoos, piercings, surgery (liposuction + sex changes + plastic surgery etc)
Tattoos and piercings I like, any type of plastic surgery I'm a little hard on, but each to his own

Already have piercings, but I would not get a tattoo (because I don't like the idea of a permanent tag) and I wouldn't have plastic surgery..

Yes- One ear (yes, one) and lip.

Absolutely. Very little employers will accept facial piercings or tattoos that can be easily seen.

do you think people with body modification blend in with society difficultly or easily? Depends on the degree of body modification. But yes, I do think they blend in.

Yes, several people.

Yes.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC

male - female ? Female

what are your body modifications? 1 tattoo (on my upper back), ear piercings – lobes and helix.

what were your parents reactions? The lobes weren’t an issue. Mum wasn’t too fussed on the idea of the helix, but I convinced her. I got my tattoo done without asking/telling her and she wasn’t all too happy. My father said that I was 18 and I could do whatever I liked, and my stepmum liked my tattoo.

where did you get it done? Lobes – hairdresser. Helix – nail/beauty place. Tattoo – Blacktown Tattoos.

how have your friends reacted? Overall positive :)

what attracted you to body mods? Personally I just like the look. My tattoo means something to me: even though it isn’t a unique design, it still has feelings and thoughts and experiences attached.

how did you find out about them? Uhh, they’re everywhere. I’d say body modification is everywhere in society today.

do you frequent body modification sites such as bmezine? On occasion. Currently considering a second tatt so I’ve been browsing it a bit recently. I want to get something like this - http://www.bmezine.com/tattoo/A80404/high/npci-white-ink-chest.jpg - just not on my chest, and a more effeminate design.

do you think body modifications restrict your acceptance in culture? No?

do you worry if it will affect career options? Not really, as none of mine are too obvious, and lobe piercings are commonplace.

do you plan on removing unpermanent mods when your older? No.

do you regret any mods? No.

_amy

HSC

male - female?

do you understand what is meant by body modifications? Yes

if yes, do you like the appearance of them, dislike, or unfussed? Generally I'm unfussed, but if it's over the top and there are more than a few facial piercings visible I lean towards dislike.
More often than not if it's something meaningful or something you can cover up/remove without too much difficulty I have no problem with them.

would you ever undergo body modification? I have my earlobes pierced and had the top of my ear done but let it close up, I would consider a tattoo but only something I have my heart set on getting and know I won't regret (i.e. have thought about it for a long period of time)

do you have any piercings (unstretched)? earlobes.

do you believe it would restrict job opportunities for people with mods? Depends on the company really; I think it can be inhibiting in many workplaces but with the rising incidence of modifications, restrictions are becoming less predominant

do you think people with body modification blend in with society difficultly or easily? Easily as far as I can tell, esp. with the rise in modifications so it has become basically a social norm.

do you know any one with body modifications? Yes, a few.

do you notice people with body modifications? Not necessarily anymore than I normally do, but like before if they are extensive and just for the sake of it then yes.

in general, do you believe body modifications add or detract to a persons appearance? Depends on the meaning/extent of the modification but it really doesn't have that much of an effect.</SPAN>

HSC
Uni Grad

male - female? Male

do you understand what is meant by body modifications? Yeh

if yes, do you like the appearance of them, dislike, or unfussed? Dislike, generally

would you ever undergo body modification? Highly Unlikely

do you have any piercings (unstretched)? Nope

do you believe it would restrict job opportunities for people with mods? Depends on the extent of the mod, common sense would be enough to understand what is or isn't acceptable in the workplace. Though generally no it would not.

do you think people with body modification blend in with society difficultly or easily?
Fairly easily, though if you are covered in tats/piercings it may be more difficult.

do you know any one with body modifications? Yeh, though none with anything extravagant.

do you notice people with body modifications? If they are covered in tats/piercings yes, If they have a piercing or something in a 'strange place', yes.

in general, do you believe body modifications add or detract to a persons appearance?
Effect is very minor but if I had to pick, and speaking in general, I'd say detracts.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad

male - female ?
female

piercings- lobes and helix

lobes- liked them
helix- was okay with mum, dad didnt notice for a year and when he finally did, he didnt like it

lobes- pharmacy
helix- hairdresser

lobes- nothing in particular, just occasionally "i like your earrings!" etc
helix- "i like your piercing, when did u get that done?"

lobes- everybody has them done, plus i always wanted to wear earrings
helix- wanted to do something extra

observation of others

no

no

no

no

do you regret any mods?
no

squirt_92

HSC

male - female ?
Female

Peircings- ears x2 and tragus
they were fine because I am old enough to sign for it myself
local peircing/tattooist place
Fine, peircings don't change your personality so they havent seen me any different
They look good if done in the right spots and not over done
friends and family
No
To a degree. Elderly people look down at you but its my body not theres
No, i can remove them later on if it does
If i really ahve to
do you regret any mods?
No

ayla_monique

HSC

male - female ? Female

what are your body modifications? Nose and ear piercings

what were your parents reactions? they were fine with them

ears- Grafton, Nose- Sunshine coast

how have your friends reacted? mellow- doesnt worry them

what attracted you to body mods? just personally like them and think they look good

a lot of people have them done at school

do you frequent body modification sites such as bmezine?no

do you think body modifications restrict your acceptance in culture? some older generation people look down upon you, but not all

do you worry if it will affect career options? no

do you plan on removing unpermanent mods when your older? no

do you regret any mods? no i love them and plan for more :)

Sadiah

HSC

male - female? female

do you understand what is meant by body modifications? Yes- plastic surgery, piercings, etc.

if yes, do you like the appearance of them, dislike, or unfussed? Unfussed to an extent, where the body modifications aren't too fake.

would you ever undergo body modification? Piercings only.

do you have any piercings (unstretched)? Yes, ears.

do you believe it would restrict job opportunities for people with mods? Yes.

do you think people with body modification blend in with society difficultly or easily? Difficultly if the body modifications are too fake-ish, or look plastic.

do you know any one with body modifications? Yes, but not in person. :D

do you notice people with body modifications? I like to think so.

in general, do you believe body modifications add or detract to a persons appearance? I think it detracts, I mean ... stick with your natural-ness. If you wanna get piercings and stuff like that then go for it, but don't go too extreme. As for things like tattoos and plastic surgery, I completely am in contrary.

Goodluck with your PIP! I remember being in your condition around this time last year, lol.

-siouxsie

HSC

male - female? female

do you understand what is meant by body modifications? piercings, tattoos, implants, scarification, etc.

if yes, do you like the appearance of them, dislike, or unfussed? piercings and tattoos, yes. implants, not so much.

would you ever undergo body modification? yes.

do you have any piercings (unstretched)? previous: surface piercing on hip (rejected), nipple piercing (took out) current: industrial piercing and 12mm lobes.

do you believe it would restrict job opportunities for people with mods? depending on the job and the location of the mod, yes.

do you think people with body modification blend in with society difficultly or easily? It would probably depend on the way the person with the mods acts about them.

do you know any one with body modifications? All of my friends have at least 1 or 2 piercings. I know a few people with tattoos, and my piercer has everything from implants to scarification.

in general, do you believe body modifications add or detract to a persons appearance?</SPAN> It would depend on what they are, but usually adds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)