Books that made you fall asleep (1 Viewer)

Pyrokinetic

HSC
PD James' The Skull Beneath The Skin never fails to put me to sleep. Not once. In all the 19 or so times i've attempted to read it through. & I'm a pretty tolerant person when it comes to books too, but my god.

:sleep:

Omegalomaniac

HSC
The whole Lord of The Rings series and The Book Thief -.-

i actually liked "Emma - Jane Austen" :p

HSC
Uni Grad
Romulus, my father - Other peoples life stories, it doesnt get more boring than that (imo).
Frankenstein - Marry Shelley's repetition of the words 'abhorred', 'countenance', 'benevolent', 'ardent' made it even more boring than it already was.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Anything by Jane Austen, except maybe Northanger Abbey (first half definitely yes, second half more interesting).
A Wizard of Earthsea. Though maybe I was too young when I first read that. I was about 8 I think.
The Lord of the Rings. Great idea, but written in the most boring way ever. Then again, maybe I was too young. Was 12 when I first read it.

One author I know for sure won't make people fall asleep--Matthew Reilly. Love the pace of his books!

The Frog Master

HSC
The Thomas Covenant Chronicles, great plot, but we don't need an insanely complicated and completely artificial psychoanalytical analysis of what was really just a bit of small talk.

If someone like David Eddings or Sara Douglass re-wrote them I would snap them up.

Good as a soporific though.

oceangirl31

HSC
PD James' The Skull Beneath The Skin never fails to put me to sleep. Not once. In all the 19 or so times i've attempted to read it through. & I'm a pretty tolerant person when it comes to books too, but my god.

:sleep:
lol im glad i wasn`t the only one

my whole class loved it
:jaw:

abhi23

Coming to the Toga Party?
HSC
Emma - Jane Austen.
Maybe because I'm a guy or maybe due to the mindnumbing language.
Probably a combination of both - stopped after about 40 pages.

jet

Banned
HSC
Albert Camus - The Plague. Had to read it for Extension english.

Bushra1209

HSC
N/A
Anna Karenina. My dad got that for me when I finished the HSC 4 years ago! I only ever got halfway through
LOTR, but I bought the boxset, hoping to eventually try reading it again
Pride and Prejudice..ugh can never get past the first page
Charles Dickens

future-doctor

HSC
Its good to know that other people also struggled to read emma....reading the novel was a mission and a half. On top of that i had to take notes while i was reading because i had like a 2000 word essay analysis to do on it.

Has anyone else read schindler's ark? i struggled to read that as well. It was like a documentary compiled to form a novel

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
okay, please don't murder me but...
The Lord Of the Rings.
><
actually i agree. Tolkien spent like 3/4 of a page to describe a single tree. urgh. the hobbit was good tho.

and i like jane austin to all those haters :) mr collins makes me lol haha.

hate:
cloudstreet
one flew over the cuckoos nest

muhahahahahaha

HSC
at first, to kill a mocking bird was soooo boring but then it got better. most boring book ever "lord of the flies" grr i hate that book..and everything shakespeare :devil:

beardedwoman

HSC
The Fiftieth Gate - Mark Baker. The definition of shit. I find it quite impossible to sit and read more than half a chapter at a time.
I think I'm studying that text for the History & Memories or w/e module this year for Advanced English. =[

Jane Austen is the worst tbh. Takes like 2 pages to describe a piece of furniture.

and shakespeare's writings aren't books... and I personally think his texts are legit. Its engaging once you get into it and can understand what the characters are saying as well as making your own interpretation!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)