Cadetship 2015 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pomsky

HSC
Mix of both ecs and academic , don't need to be an academic genius. And initiative with the EC's , don't just be a participant but actually do stuff
The questions might seem a bit specific, but I honestly don't know what kind of person they're looking for, and whether I fit their requirements haha.

In terms of ECs, are they looking for anything in particular? i.e leadership, volunteering, creative or..?

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
The questions might seem a bit specific, but I honestly don't know what kind of person they're looking for, and whether I fit their requirements haha.

In terms of ECs, are they looking for anything in particular? i.e leadership, volunteering, creative or..?
Only way you'll find out if you're the person they're looking for is by applying. You have nothing to lose from applying and everything to gain. Even if you don't make it, the application process itself is a great learning process. In terms of EC's I'd assume a jack of all trades, leadership in volunteering scenarios would be ideal as it shows you not only support good causes but take the initiative to do something about it, but it doesn't have to be these things. (My opinion on it all, I might be completely wrong.)

pomsky

HSC
Only way you'll find out if you're the person they're looking for is by applying. You have nothing to lose from applying and everything to gain. Even if you don't make it, the application process itself is a great learning process. In terms of EC's I'd assume a jack of all trades, leadership in volunteering scenarios would be ideal as it shows you not only support good causes but take the initiative to do something about it, but it doesn't have to be these things. (My opinion on it all, I might be completely wrong.)
Yep, thanks! :)
I suppose a better way to have reword it was; "I don't know my chances of getting in." haha, I was always set on applying.

Would I be correct to assume that at this point there will be no real requirements for relevancy in ECs? Also, in terms of academics, what is the range that they're generally looking for? (in terms of ranks, ATAR, or any other common measurements)

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
Yep, thanks! :)
I suppose a better way to have reword it was; "I don't know my chances of getting in." haha, I was always set on applying.

Would I be correct to assume that at this point there will be no real requirements for relevancy in ECs? Also, in terms of academics, what is the range that they're generally looking for? (in terms of ranks, ATAR, or any other common measurements)
They look for a balance of both academics and extracurricular/character stuff. I don't know if any standards exist, my marks were mediocre, one was pree shoddy but I worked it to my advantage when I was asked about it. Also I've been told that smaller firms care more about marks because they select less so they'd want a gun at both as opposed to bigger firms who might give less attention to academics. I DO NOT know if this is true or not, just stuff I've been told.

What do you mean by relevancy in EC's?

pomsky

HSC
They look for a balance of both academics and extracurricular/character stuff. I don't know if any standards exist, my marks were mediocre, one was pree shoddy but I worked it to my advantage when I was asked about it. Also I've been told that smaller firms care more about marks because they select less so they'd want a gun at both as opposed to bigger firms who might give less attention to academics. I DO NOT know if this is true or not, just stuff I've been told.

What do you mean by relevancy in EC's?
I see, approximately how well do you guys reckon they're looking for? Guesstimates will be very helpful :D

Relevancy as in how relevant or close it is to the role. i.e leadership (e.g Prefect) vs. black belt in Taekwondo. I think, from snooping around the web and careers adviser (ha ha), relevancy in ECs get more important in university cos they probs take you much more seriously then. And also I have a lot of randoms in ECs that I'm debating whether to put down or not.

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
I see, approximately how well do you guys reckon they're looking for? Guesstimates will be very helpful :D

Relevancy as in how relevant or close it is to the role. i.e leadership (e.g Prefect) vs. black belt in Taekwondo. I think, from snooping around the web and careers adviser (ha ha), relevancy in ECs get more important in university cos they probs take you much more seriously then. And also I have a lot of randoms in ECs that I'm debating whether to put down or not.
If you have the room to put them down and you can work it into your responses and the type of person you are, then why not, if its unique and defines your character it'll be a good thing, but ideally you can show that all EC's provide you with at least ONE skill relevant to the job (might take effort to show, but you can).

pomsky

HSC
If you have the room to put them down and you can work it into your responses and the type of person you are, then why not, if its unique and defines your character it'll be a good thing, but ideally you can show that all EC's provide you with at least ONE skill relevant to the job (might take effort to show, but you can).
Sweet :)
Brings to mind another question though- what are some relevant skills to the job?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Beyond basic computer skills I don't think much is expected at cadet/trainee level. The real test is your willingness/ability to learn and then apply yourself, and how well you'd fit into the respective firm's culture. Cadetships are all about the firm making an investment in taking you in now with the goal that longer term you will be a productive and valuable employee.

matchalolz

HSC
I'm not sure if all firms require it but I'm trying to put together a resume. So far my headings are: objective, experience and education. Does this sound ok or should i add a 'skills' section? The thing is i sort of incorporated the skills i attained in my experience section, so it's like through XYZ activity i did ABC and therefore developed whatever skill.
I have roughly 5 lines left before i hit one page, just confirming that this an ok length (just a relatively inexperienced yr 12 student)

feels when i have basically no school co-curricular activities. Would i still stand a chance if i had other outside activities instead of school ones?

one more question: i was just looking around on the web and I'm not quite sure about something: is the objective statement meant to be a few words stating the position you're looking for or is it meant to be a short introduction type thing?

Last edited:

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
I'm not sure if all firms require it but I'm trying to put together a resume. So far my headings are: objective, experience and education. Does this sound ok or should i add a 'skills' section? The thing is i sort of incorporated the skills i attained in my experience section, so it's like through XYZ activity i did ABC and therefore developed whatever skill.
I have roughly 5 lines left before i hit one page, just confirming that this an ok length (just a relatively inexperienced yr 12 student)

feels when i have basically no school co-curricular activities. Would i still stand a chance if i had other outside activities instead of school ones?

one more question: i was just looking around on the web and I'm not quite sure about something: is the objective statement meant to be a few words stating the position you're looking for or is it meant to be a short introduction type thing?
1. It doesn't hurt to have a Skills section with the minor skills you might have developed through hobbies, whether it be IT related or otherwise.

2. If I recall correctly the standard length is no more than two pages so you'll be fine if you surpass the one page length.

3. End of the day co-curricular/extracurricular activities reflect the skills you've developed and the sort of activities you involve yourself in outside of your basic school life. You shouldn't feel as if you don't stand a chance just because it isn't a school related activity. If anything it shows you go out of your way to look for things outside of what is just easily found at school.

4. A sentence or two from what I know.

matchalolz

HSC
1. It doesn't hurt to have a Skills section with the minor skills you might have developed through hobbies, whether it be IT related or otherwise.

2. If I recall correctly the standard length is no more than two pages so you'll be fine if you surpass the one page length.

3. End of the day co-curricular/extracurricular activities reflect the skills you've developed and the sort of activities you involve yourself in outside of your basic school life. You shouldn't feel as if you don't stand a chance just because it isn't a school related activity. If anything it shows you go out of your way to look for things outside of what is just easily found at school.

4. A sentence or two from what I know.
thanks for this! :)

just another question, should i include hobbies or nah?

Phaze

Pleb.
HSC
thanks for this! :)

just another question, should i include hobbies or nah?
I chucked in an Interests & Sports section which was pretty much hobbies and random programming skills or what not, whether or not I should have I'm not too sure. I feel as if it shows you have other passions/interests outside of the daily routine, can't hurt if you have the room. (I might be wrong :p )

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I chucked in an Interests & Sports section which was pretty much hobbies and random programming skills or what not, whether or not I should have I'm not too sure. I feel as if it shows you have other passions/interests outside of the daily routine, can't hurt if you have the room. (I might be wrong :p )
Gives the interviewer something else to ask you about. It also says you are a logical person.

gem19

HSC
Has anyone else noticed that PwC have taken their trainee program off the website at the moment?

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
Hey, I am trying to apply for some accounting cadetships however I am doing an engineering com degree at unsw which is 5.5 years. I am willing to drop my engineering degree if I am able to make it into a cadetship program, so I'm just asking whether or not they'll let me apply considering my situation, or will they interview me first (if i get in) and then discuss my finishing date for my degree?

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey, I am trying to apply for some accounting cadetships however I am doing an engineering com degree at unsw which is 5.5 years. I am willing to drop my engineering degree if I am able to make it into a cadetship program, so I'm just asking whether or not they'll let me apply considering my situation, or will they interview me first (if i get in) and then discuss my finishing date for my degree?
Are you doing Engineering/Comm at UNSW ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)