• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

can you borrow core subject textbooks from the library for the whole semester? (1 Viewer)

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
i cant afford to buy all the textbooks since ive got to pay $800 for rego/green slip soon, and my shit parents wont help me out.

is it possible to do this?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
and what does "IN TRANSIT" mean

KarmaKitten

HSC
Depends.

Is the textbook in the Reserve section? Then no.

Is it in the short loans sections? Then you will have to return it weekly and hope nobody else gets it and then re-borrow it.

But if its in the research section, you usually get 8 weeks, and as long as nobody else requests it, you can renew it.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
im pretty sure its in the reserve section :(

KarmaKitten

HSC
Yeah, usually core textbooks are in the reserve :(. You can always try photocopying important pages/chapters?

There are no other copies? Sometimes there are extra copies floating around the library.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
im not sure ill have to check i guess :\

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I got lucky once in I think first year and borrowed a text for the whole semester, so it can happen. Most textbooks are in reserve though so you might be better off going in each week and photocopying the readings you need.

Also maybe see if the readings are downloadable especially for copy centre notes so you can avoid buying them. You can access them through the library website.

Generally speaking I have had more success at the library with literature texts i.e. novels for English subjects because they usually have a few copies lying around of each title, but textbooks are harder to get.

danz90

HSC
Even if you do borrow them, expect it to be recalled the same day or day after you borrow it. I borrowed one today, and it was recalled 3 hours later LOL.

bio_nut

HSC
Even if you do borrow them, expect it to be recalled the same day or day after you borrow it. I borrowed one today, and it was recalled 3 hours later LOL.
Yup, this.

Try second hand.

missrockinrio

HSC
N/A
Buy secondhand. Borrowing really sucks when you have to return it the next day. I saved quite a bit of money on Textbookexchange Good luck hun!

izzy88

HSC
There is the SRC secondhand bookshop in Wentworth- or try to find some people in older years who are willing to sell you their old textbooks. It may not be the latest edition, but its better than nothing.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
you can usually get them from reserve for a few hours - and if you borrow them last thing before the library closes, you get to keep them for the night.
I found with the really expensive ones, a few hours a week in the library and photocopies of the pictures / summaries (like for anatomy) was enough - saved me hundreds!

Second hand is fine for most things, especially things that don't change much from year to year - but remember that the page refs for readings will be warped, so you might have to borrow the current book to translate the reading page numbers etc.

ballin

Banned
HSC
it really depends on the subject you need them for. if you are doing a double degree and they are for your main subject, then you need to get that money. do whatever it takes ;)

otherwise, if theyre for something laughable, like sociology, then dont even stress about it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)