Car of the 1337s (1 Viewer)

SlipStream

HSC
When I'm at MOTOR I'm going to push it to Number 1.

Get out of my way, SM. Modified cars are an endangered species.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
SlipStream said:
When I'm at MOTOR I'm going to push it to Number 1.

Get out of my way, SM. Modified cars are an endangered species.
hahahahaha...you of all people should know they're not

every single car that gets sold has a high chance of being modded to some extent, and then, as with racing, people want to be better than the next...

you know it wont die :)

SlipStream

HSC
braad said:
hahahahaha...you of all people should know they're not

every single car that gets sold has a high chance of being modded to some extent, and then, as with racing, people want to be better than the next...

you know it wont die :)
I'm pretty sure modified cars will roam only in the domain of our generation and upwards. They'll disappear within two generations methinks.

The influence of skyrocketing oil prices, horsepower-hating bureaucrats, higher running costs, modded cars being portrayed as an enemy of society... I'm afraid they'll become isolated into an enthusiast-only hobby as modified cars become more and more expensive to keep.

You and I will have a high powered rear wheel drive beast in our garage in retirement, but our grandsons will be focused on whatever the next big thing will be. Not petrol powered cars as they'll probably be obsolete by then, superseded for more practical, inanimate things like hydrogen powered lumps.

Sure the petrol powered car is doomed to loose its title as leader in world transport just as the horse and cart did about a century ago, but hey people still ride horses for fun just as we'll keep driving with our petrol fumes as the price plateaus at something like $6 or so a litre. The internal combustion engine will - within 2 decades - move over for the next big thing. Probably hydrogen.

But oil will never run out. Ever. It'll just become too expensive to be feasible as a fuel for primary transport, and become exclusive only to enthusiasts. I know I'll always have an internal combustion engine in my garage, even when the neighbours are complaining that it makes too many emissions yada yada yada , I'll tear up their front lawn with my EJ20T Brumby then smirk at the fact I just used $6 of petrol to do that. :cool:

People will dream of the "good old days when petrol was a dollar a litre" and I guess sales of magazines such as SM will be for more greater nostalgic purposes, but I'm afraid nostalgia is the stuff of dreams. Dreaming of modified cars means one thing: they'll become a very rare thing. Especially old V8s. I hate saying it, you can count on that, but it's gonna happen!

DaddyK: 150kW is a lot, y'know. And often in a car weighing around 1500kg, that makes for a pretty quick little thing. Sure, a 14.8 second quarter mile might not sound like much when you're used to hearing of "ten second Supras" et al, but if I sat you in the driver's seat of one of those "150kW beasts", I'm sure your sarcasm would evaporate pretty quickly. ;)

DaddyK

Is out drifting
Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways
HSC
150kw would be alright initially, but you would get used to it, whereas something with 300kw would never get boring because you never know when the wheels are gunna light up *opposite lock yada yada yada many panel beating visits* lol.

SlipStream

HSC
DaddyK said:
150kw would be alright initially, but you would get used to it, whereas something with 300kw would never get boring because you never know when the wheels are gunna light up *opposite lock yada yada yada many panel beating visits* lol.
True. I agree.

You'd get used to 150kW very quickly.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
SlipStream said:
I'm pretty sure modified cars will roam only in the domain of our generation and upwards. They'll disappear within two generations methinks.

The influence of skyrocketing oil prices, horsepower-hating bureaucrats, higher running costs, modded cars being portrayed as an enemy of society... I'm afraid they'll become isolated into an enthusiast-only hobby as modified cars become more and more expensive to keep.

You and I will have a high powered rear wheel drive beast in our garage in retirement, but our grandsons will be focused on whatever the next big thing will be. Not petrol powered cars as they'll probably be obsolete by then, superseded for more practical, inanimate things like hydrogen powered lumps.

Sure the petrol powered car is doomed to loose its title as leader in world transport just as the horse and cart did about a century ago, but hey people still ride horses for fun just as we'll keep driving with our petrol fumes as the price plateaus at something like $6 or so a litre. The internal combustion engine will - within 2 decades - move over for the next big thing. Probably hydrogen.

But oil will never run out. Ever. It'll just become too expensive to be feasible as a fuel for primary transport, and become exclusive only to enthusiasts. I know I'll always have an internal combustion engine in my garage, even when the neighbours are complaining that it makes too many emissions yada yada yada , I'll tear up their front lawn with my EJ20T Brumby then smirk at the fact I just used $6 of petrol to do that. :cool:

People will dream of the "good old days when petrol was a dollar a litre" and I guess sales of magazines such as SM will be for more greater nostalgic purposes, but I'm afraid nostalgia is the stuff of dreams. Dreaming of modified cars means one thing: they'll become a very rare thing. Especially old V8s. I hate saying it, you can count on that, but it's gonna happen!

DaddyK: 150kW is a lot, y'know. And often in a car weighing around 1500kg, that makes for a pretty quick little thing. Sure, a 14.8 second quarter mile might not sound like much when you're used to hearing of "ten second Supras" et al, but if I sat you in the driver's seat of one of those "150kW beasts", I'm sure your sarcasm would evaporate pretty quickly. ;)

dear boy...fuel prices will go down when only you and i are driving petrol powered cars :)

and 150KW in 1500Kg is shit....thats like my damned VN calais, and it's 13 years old...

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
SlipStream said:
150kW in 1.5t car would not go very fast at all.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
ooooh oooooh, reminds me, my next project, mini clubman, and 170bhp Vtec honda motor....

mmmmm

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
well i meant new as in, whats been happening, i dont car if it's new or old cars

is anyone working on a project or doing up their car? or SOMETHING car related which you can type?

SlipStream

HSC
My first project car is gonna be a Brumby. :p

*Takes a big breath*

Powertrain and drivetrain: EJ20T conversion, top mount intercooler with MY05 WRX scoop, boost controller, turbo timer, racing adjustable BOV, custom extractors, braided radiator feeds and oil lines, turbo-back mandrel bent 3" stainless pipe into high flow cat then custom dual pipe (split one way into a straight through set up and another into centre and rear cannon muffler - controlled by a valve and a cable, splits exhaust down racing pipe when throttle is open 75% or more so mega loud but otherwise through two mufflers offering a nice quiet drive OR perhaps switch operated), custom air box with triple cold air feed, larger throttle body, STi drivetrain: clutch, six speed manual gearbox, active centre diff, transfer case and front diff, R180 rear diff, custom lightweight tailshaft ... basically very stock set up but will make serious mods if I feel I need to. I need about 215kW at the wheels to run 11s.

Chassis and unsprung: Lowered with racing springs, semi-race adjustable struts, F & R strut braces, X-brace over tray for better rigidity, 5-stud WRX hub conversion with Brembo cross-drilled and ventilated discs at each corner - four pot front calipers and twin rear, calipers painted white, braided fuel hoses, ABS, 17"x7.5" chrome multispoke rims, machined lip with a large offset to extend track (other benefits: bigger footprint, better cornering stability, awesome stance), low profile sport tyres, semi-race sway bars, polyurethane bushes ... after a good cornering set up but with a comfortable cruising ride as well.

Exterior: 1981 wagon single headlight cluster and grille conversion (as opposed to Sigma-esque butt ugly twin light cluster set up), 6000k super white Xenon-gas filled bulbs, LED clear indicators, chrome front bumper, custom front lip side skirts and rear lip, debadged and painted metallic silver with twin vinyl black stripes, leather tonneau cover, aforementioned WRX scoop, custom LED rear tailights, plain white number plates (no custom shit here), darkest legal window tint, custom mirrors (undecided) ... chasing a very subtle, classy look but still admirable.

Interior: dash and centre console retrimmed in grey leather, doors retrimmed in grey leather with white suede inserts, STi seats retrimmed in charcoal leather with white suede inserts, double plush charcoal carpet with sound deadening material, sports perfectly rounded and weighted/balanced steering wheel (leather wrapped), custom instrument facia - aftermarket speedo and tachometer (white faced with chrome surrounds), expensive :)P) weighted leather shift knob, leather wrapped handbrake both with white leather boots with black stitching, WRX brushed aluminium pedals, dual zone air conditioning; CD/MP3 head unit with amp, 6x9" 3-ways (R), 6" splits (F), twin subwoofers mounted behind the seats (all speakers best quality brand, price no object); white faced fauges with chrome surrounds for: oil pressure, boost pressure, A/F ratio and water temp; electric windows, Impreza wiper motor (quicker), improved interior lighting (lights in doors, in dash to illuminate footwell, more in cabin) on door circuit, cruise control ... after a comfortable car to drive to work if I have to, as well as a nice place to be.

Safety and Security: full roll cage painted black with side intrusion protection and foot protection (also improves rigidity), white four-point racing harnesses for driver and passenger, remote central locking with high tech paging alarm system, WRX key pad, immobiliser, kill switch featuring concealed magnetised reed switch, detachable boss kit for steering wheel ... I'm trying to make my car thief-proof and if I do crash I won't die lol (the stock Brumbys - as well as most older cars - are a basic death trap my modern standards).

Also: fully enginneered. :p To show the cops when they pull me over. ;) My Brumby project is based on the same concept of this one:

(You have no idea how long it took me to write all that!!)

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
SlipStream said:
My first project car is gonna be a Brumby. :p

*Takes a big breath*

Powertrain and drivetrain: EJ20T conversion, top mount intercooler with MY05 WRX scoop, boost controller, turbo timer, racing adjustable BOV, custom extractors, braided radiator feeds and oil lines, turbo-back mandrel bent 3" stainless pipe into high flow cat then custom dual pipe (split one way into a straight through set up and another into centre and rear cannon muffler - controlled by a valve and a cable, splits exhaust down racing pipe when throttle is open 75% or more so mega loud but otherwise through two mufflers offering a nice quiet drive OR perhaps switch operated), custom air box with triple cold air feed, larger throttle body, STi drivetrain: clutch, six speed manual gearbox, active centre diff, transfer case and front diff, R180 rear diff, custom lightweight tailshaft ... basically very stock set up but will make serious mods if I feel I need to. I need about 215kW at the wheels to run 11s.

Chassis and unsprung: Lowered with racing springs, semi-race adjustable struts, F & R strut braces, X-brace over tray for better rigidity, 5-stud WRX hub conversion with Brembo cross-drilled and ventilated discs at each corner - four pot front calipers and twin rear, calipers painted white, braided fuel hoses, ABS, 17"x7.5" chrome multispoke rims, machined lip with a large offset to extend track (other benefits: bigger footprint, better cornering stability, awesome stance), low profile sport tyres, semi-race sway bars, polyurethane bushes ... after a good cornering set up but with a comfortable cruising ride as well.
EPA tests your engines DB reading..but at what % do they check at? if at or over 75% you'd need to do the switch

the large offset doesnt make a bigger footprint, they'll still be 7.5 inches wide. also having a larger 'offset' as you put it (depends on innner or outer) can increase the stress on your hub/suspension, and contribute to tyre wear. One thing you dont want when you're already having to replace snapped axles :)

SlipStream

HSC
braad said:
EPA tests your engines DB reading..but at what % do they check at? if at or over 75% you'd need to do the switch

the large offset doesnt make a bigger footprint, they'll still be 7.5 inches wide. also having a larger 'offset' as you put it (depends on innner or outer) can increase the stress on your hub/suspension, and contribute to tyre wear. One thing you dont want when you're already having to replace snapped axles :)
For the EPA tests I'd just bolt on the OEM WRX exhaust that would come with the half cut, then I'd put the aftermarket one back on the next day - after I had successfully passed their emissions and compliance examinations. :p

By footprint I meant the overall footprint of the car, not the tyre. A largish negative offset (relative to Subaru's stock Brumby reccomendations) increases track marginally, making for a wider car - a wider vehicle footprint - and lowering the centre of gravity further, improving cornering stability and weight transfer on the E/W axis of the car. Using negative offset to increase track can be detrimental like you said to the hub assembly, but that's only is you take it too far.

Anywho, braad and DaddyK - I've exposed my dream project. Your turn! :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)