• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Choosing Year 11 subjects (1 Viewer)

gunat61

HSC
lol thanks Street-10 .. I'll probably take bio and see how I go .. then in year 12 i could drop it if i'm crap at it. wow, you can actually get kicked out of a class? =.=

ahh Aquawhite .. WHY ? you're coming first! lol .. but true, music's crap if your teacher's not good .. last year i was coming 3/16 in music, and now, i'm almost last .. thank god it's just Year 10 elective.
thanks for ur advice! it's consoling. best of luck for next year!

gunat61

HSC
lol yeah i'll probably take 13 units .. gathering from all this advice =]
and maybe 3 eng .. but i still have time to decide anyways .. thanks pillar

lurveNpeace

HSC
Make sure you choose the subjects you want to do! Just make sure you think about what you really want to do :)
Cos for me i chose subjects i had to do because my school didn't offer anything else good and they were the only subjects left or they couldn't run the class because not enough people chose it, yeah ultimate gaaaay, LOL.

ancient hist,
biology,
business studies,
studies of religion
general maths
english

blaaaaaah.

gunat61

HSC
lolll thats pretty crappy aye lurveNpeace .. but yeah, i hope the lines for me work out . your subjects aint bad, trust me. i know a chick who does geo and she hates it .. i abhor it completely .. all cos of the lines >.>

gunat61

HSC
LMAO i agree . practically, what everyone at school is going to do .. curries included =P (im curry lol)

Street-10

HSC
I wouldnt call is offically "Kicked Out" but there not behaving etc and like "quote because they think its easy they just dont study" thats how there going to leave, if you dont meet certain levels being above 55% i think... you can be asked to leave at end of Yr 11

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Hey, I'm in Year 10 and I'm starting to think about subjects to take for next year. So far I've thought of taking English Advanced, 3 unit Maths, Economics and Chemistry.

I'm not sure of whether to take Biology or Business Studies. I hear they are both "scale-down" subjects. Will it affect my ATAR badly?
I'm not terribly good at science but I heard biology is easy. I think I'm alright at commerce but so many people are saying Business Studies will bring me down heaps. I'm confused =S

However, if I took both, is it too much work to handle 13 units and is it worth it?

Sorry for asking so many questions lol.
remove business studies for the glorious physics.
really, fools have mistaken this subject for its difficulty.

Go for:
-3U Math
-Eng Adv.
-Phys
-Chem
-Eco

Best combo imo.
except eco.
fuck economics.

Make sure you choose the subjects you want to do! Just make sure you think about what you really want to do :)
Cos for me i chose subjects i had to do because my school didn't offer anything else good and they were the only subjects left or they couldn't run the class because not enough people chose it, yeah ultimate gaaaay, LOL.

ancient hist,
biology,
business studies,
studies of religion
general maths
english

blaaaaaah.
typical combination that doesnt attract a high uai

Kiwi131313

HSC
Bio isnt that easy... And my girlfriend does business studies and its quite hard too. You should pick subjects that you enjoy, I picked ones to get into a course that I wanted to do but now Ive changed my mind (and probebly will a few more times) and ill have to do a bridging course at uni.

If you like Chemisty and your good at maths then you could look at doing physics. Pick subjects that you enjoy and you are good at and this will give you the best UAI.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
Bio isnt that easy... And my girlfriend does business studies and its quite hard too. You should pick subjects that you enjoy, I picked ones to get into a course that I wanted to do but now Ive changed my mind (and probebly will a few more times) and ill have to do a bridging course at uni.

If you like Chemisty and your good at maths then you could look at doing physics. Pick subjects that you enjoy and you are good at and this will give you the best UAI.
Hey hold on a minute kiddo.
Why the hell are you even talking about physics when you don't even do physics?
Year 10 maths only is needed.

poniekid

HSC
I'm in yr 12 and doing 3/4 biology helped me heaps for 3/4 chemistry and vice versa.
Business gets scaled down more than Biology but if you do really good it wont matter.
Biology is fairly easy just a lot of memorising but not harder than chemistry.
Doing both wouldn't be too hard but would be a lot of work and may not help you for mid-years or end-of-years.

Here's a scaling table for VCE but it could be helpful:
http://www.vtac.edu.au/pdf/scaling_report.pdf

gunat61

HSC
Lol, guys .. I'd probably not do physics. Not really interested. Even if it scaled, I'd do bad so it wouldn't make a difference.

Yeah poniekid, that's what I heard .. that both chem and bio connect sometimes. Probably will do both. Thanks for the table! =]

allira92

HSC
Hey, I'm in Year 10 and I'm starting to think about subjects to take for next year. So far I've thought of taking English Advanced, 3 unit Maths, Economics and Chemistry.

I'm not sure of whether to take Biology or Business Studies. I hear they are both "scale-down" subjects. Will it affect my ATAR badly?
I'm not terribly good at science but I heard biology is easy. I think I'm alright at commerce but so many people are saying Business Studies will bring me down heaps. I'm confused =S

However, if I took both, is it too much work to handle 13 units and is it worth it?

Sorry for asking so many questions lol.
although it might be considered easier than chem or phys, bio is not an 'easy' subject. it involes a lot of work and you shouldnt pick it because u think it will be a bludge.

gunat61

HSC
I got my report today .. I got 76% for Science and the average is 80% .. my school was ranked 22nd last year. Do you think I'd cope with 2 sciences? Or do you think I should just do Chemistry? The reason for doing chemistry is because I want to do Pharmacy in Uni .. Im leading towards picking it anyways .. but yeah lol.

dancing_mermaid

HSC
i've heard the same about biology, but we're studying it in year 10 now, and my its waaaay harder (for me, anyway) than physics and chem were.

apparently, bio used to be really easy, but since theres been so much research recently, the syllabus has got really complicated. senior science is probably the easy science now, but some schools (like mine) refuse to offer it coz its not academic enough, even though it studies really interesting material

pillar

HSC
bio isn't really hard

and if you're reasonably intelligent you could easily do chemistry and biology and do well in both I think

maybe have a look at the syllabus for the courses you're thinking of doing, see which ones look interesting (and you're pretty sure you could do well in)

gunat61

HSC
well i think i'll do both but yeahh (Y)
thanks a lot guys.

lpodnano

5eva alone
HSC
I'm quarreling over the same situation. My subject selection is in less than 2 weeks. I don't go to the best school so heaps of people are already predicted to receive N awards. I'm going to do 13 units :) I wanted to do 12 because of extra free periods but what am I going to do in all that time? Here are my following draft subject selections:
3 unit math
2 unit chem
2 unit phys
2 unit bio
adv english
and either art/textiles as a fun subject for year 11.

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I'm quarreling over the same situation. My subject selection is in less than 2 weeks. I don't go to the best school so heaps of people are already predicted to receive N awards. I'm going to do 13 units :) I wanted to do 12 because of extra free periods but what am I going to do in all that time? Here are my following draft subject selections:
3 unit math
2 unit chem
2 unit phys
2 unit bio
adv english
and either art/textiles as a fun subject for year 11.
:headbang:

Look at your subject choices.
Such a hero.
Thumbs up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)