Competition at your school (1 Viewer)

biopia

WestSyd-UNSW3x/week
HSC
There are/were competitive people in my year, yet the most it ever really came out was when someone was whinging about having done "badly", or the few times one of the guys skipped out on some parties and such in preference of studying [he topped maths and ext, physics, and came about 3rd in English].
Overall, we helped each other, but there were a few of us, who, through personal dislikes, decided that we simply had to beat a certain person.
In maths and ext, everyone could ask someone for help. In English and ext, we'd be given good essays that people in the class had written to look over, and later in English ext, whenever we wrote something, we shared it with the rest of the class before it was due, anyway. Teacher also had the idea of a lesson devoted to us giving "seminars", where we shared our notes on a certain text with the rest of the class.
I totally agree with this!
Before my trial paper 2 exam for english, I was sitting in a classroom going over notes and stuff, and all I could hear through a window was "Oh, I wish I studied. Oh I am going to do so badly." Blah blah blah... That is really annoying - when people search for sympathy as a means of justifying their laziness :<
It would be even worse if those people complained about the marks they got, but they didn't, so it's all good.

P.S. I don't think the OP is bragging lol. Merely emphasising that in one of their subjects, the rankings are too close to want to give notes to those people. And anyway, if the increments are that close, it sounds like they don't need help :p But to the OP, don't worry too much about rankings now. You've probably only had 1 assessment per subject. Start worrying late term two, because around then is when those first 5 rankings will start to separate a bit. Good luck with everything =]

Bootawa_Boy

HSC
I go to a relitively small school 700 people or so (80 in my year) and it is pretty competative everyone wants to come number 1 I find mainly the girls get into like they pretend they dont care but you can tell they would kill a small animal to gain an extra mark just so they can outrank there friend and they always suck up to the teachers ssoooo much at the end of the year it was so sad and funny to see to the extent that they would go to 'be nice' to the teacher

spyborg

HSC
N/A
I'm probably the only one in my grade that doesn't care about what others get.

muzeikchun852

HSC
回覆: Re: Competition at your school

they pretend they dont care but you can tell they would kill a small animal to gain an extra mark just so they can outrank there friend and they always suck up to the teachers ssoooo much at the end of the year it was so sad and funny to see to the extent that they would go to 'be nice' to the teacher
+1 same with my school.

strasiotto

HSC
Most competitive part of my school is teachers... they don't like people who do more than 12 units. Actively discouraged the 7 people who picked 13 units.

Apart from that, students are working together more than competing (in maths and sciences at least).
So true lol. I mean, there is competition to a degree (and the teachers really bitch about 13 units), but mostly people help eachother out, share note, send assignments to eachother for checking etc.

I remember last year a teacher constantly repeating that its a 'competition' between us, and always emphasising on us not helping eachother more than we need to. Basically I ignored her, I almost literally teach my advanced maths buddy the course, and I'm always there to help people for other subjects if they need it.

And, on the flip side, when I need help I'll always be able to find someone who understands what to do, and is more than happy to help me. We all just kinda push eachother to do the best that we can all possibly do.

I mean, we still have one kid dominating the english based subjects, and one dominating science, but its healthy.

Monsterman

HSC
give your notes to whoever asks for them, if your whole class is doing really well and you're still topping the class then that's even better for you
no. give your notes after the trials when the ranks are set, so you come first in the grade. ONLY RANKS MATTER. dont worry about assessment marks ONLY RANKS MATTER.

technicolour

HSC
For the most part our school is pretty good. We have a bunch of people that are the constant over-achievers, but it's evened out now. There are two girls who just refuse to be happy for their best friends if they beat them by one mark. I actually can't understand that way of thinking. Other than that our year is pretty relaxed.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
competition at our school exists amongst the top students, and that only. The rest couldn't give a f**k

However, i find that it is quite fierce.. to the point that people constantly lie in a bid to manipulate each other's minds..[not that i do] from that perspective, it is freaky.

eg.

Kid 1: Did you study last night?
Kid 2:pffft no. (although it's widely known he studies his arse off night and day)
Kid 1: Ahhk (thinks he doesn't need to study then)

Same thing happens for homework and that, where people make others feel bad for apparently, "Not doing homework"

A bit poorly worded, but yous get the point :jedi:

Sociasci010

HSC
Theres a lot of competition in my year. I don't mind it but i think people could at least have the common courtesy to be friendly!

shady145

Banned
HSC
ninetypercent, all you ever do is crap on about how your first in all of your subjects, i think we get it. congratulations, move on.
some people keep saying it as a joke, while others take it as constant bragging... =/

strasiotto

HSC
Kid 2:pffft no. (although it's widely known he studies his arse off night and day)

Same thing happens for homework and that, where people make others feel bad for apparently, "Not doing homework"

A bit poorly worded, but yous get the point :jedi:
lol, I think you get a few of the kid 2 in every grade. And apparently, at my school the competition I spoke about is only really in the higher subjects (I was corrected by various friends who do other 'subjects' such as ag/ sdd).

0bs3n3

HSC

Sadly, I am Kid 2 sometimes...mostly with subjects like English though, don't really mind helping people with maths, and me and friends quiz each other on Modern.

Well, I'm only Kid 2 with people I know are competitive, which is like my best friend and about 6% of the school.

speedofsound

HSC
So true lol. I mean, there is competition to a degree (and the teachers really bitch about 13 units), but mostly people help eachother out, share note, send assignments to eachother for checking etc.

I remember last year a teacher constantly repeating that its a 'competition' between us, and always emphasising on us not helping eachother more than we need to. Basically I ignored her, I almost literally teach my advanced maths buddy the course, and I'm always there to help people for other subjects if they need it.

And, on the flip side, when I need help I'll always be able to find someone who understands what to do, and is more than happy to help me. We all just kinda push eachother to do the best that we can all possibly do.

I mean, we still have one kid dominating the english based subjects, and one dominating science, but its healthy.
omg that's so terrible for teachers to ENCOURAGE heavy competition... my english teacher was just saying the other day that we all need to try and share our ideas and just not keep things to ourselves. she thinks it's quite unfortunate there's so much emphasis on competition in the HSC.

anulik

HSC
There is cometition in my school certainly. I would say that for maths, it is a healthy competition between two (me and another guy). But for sciences and english... especially when the difference is just one mark.
I do HATE when in front of me they just show how happy they are when first time in their lives they got higher than me... It just terrible. And after that How is it possible for me to have a healthy competition, when everyone is against each other.?
Like, the other day, just because of answering a question for science based on general knowledge, A girl (which is in unhealthy competition with me) told me I HATE YOU,because you have got brains, in front of the class outloud.

kyokaku92

HSC
Definite competition at my school for maths. Not too sure about other subjects, but my music 2 class is very competitive, but everyone still shares notes.:hat:

strasiotto

HSC
I HATE YOU,because you have got brains, in front of the class outloud.
Yeah man, we kinda presumed it was outloud, since, you know, you could hear it...

Just take it as a compliment- I get girls saying that to me all the time (which is actually a bit annoying, since my marks arn't normally too spectacular).

Cardea

HSC
I do HATE when in front of me they just show how happy they are when first time in their lives they got higher than me... It just terrible. And after that How is it possible for me to have a healthy competition, when everyone is against each other.?
Ditto. I mean, I get it - they're ecstatic about achieving a mark that they should be proud of, but it isn't particularly courteous to rub it in the faces of others. It's also a blow to the self-esteem too. But yeah, it is infuriating when someone insists on shoving their mark in your face.

Our school isn't overly competitive, it's usually confined to the top students. And up there, it's unspoken, but you're well aware of its presence. There's a guy who insists on boasting all the time about his achievements and the way he speaks is so condescending towards others. It drives me nuts.

Here, there is competition, but like someone before me said, it's healthy. I think we all do help each other out most of the time. I kind of wish we had that more at school. Either people don't care very much, or the competition is too tense.

technicolour

HSC
God, I hate when overachievers feel the need to constantly point their marks out. There are very few girls in our year that do that, but it's so aggravating.

The most annoying person at our school though is this girl that sits near me in legal and modern who is in a constant delusion about topping both subjects when she's getting really average marks. It's not even that, it's the tone of superiority that's in her voice when she's answering a question or asking about your mark. She competes with me over classwork. It's infuriating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)