Competition at your school (1 Viewer)

Nyxie

HSC
we've got this girl at our school who claims to get a mark or two higher of whoever got the top mark. The thing is, her ranks are very average, and it is pretty well known she lies through her teeth.
She takes it so far that the rest of us automatically ignore whatever mark she claims to have achieved.

It is interesting how some teachers really promote competition.

Our teacher for ext 1 and 2 english has always encouraged us to help each other out, have class discussions and encourage each other.
I guess that really works well with english though - sciences are probably different?

0bs3n3

HSC
The most annoying person at our school though is this girl that sits near me in legal and modern who is in a constant delusion about topping both subjects when she's getting really average marks. It's not even that, it's the tone of superiority that's in her voice when she's answering a question or asking about your mark. She competes with me over classwork. It's infuriating.
Amen. That whole "Hermione" tone really pisses me off.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Everyone apart from the top 5 students is crap. Yet those top five students, are really, really competitive, (two got offers for ruse), but it's healthy competition.

technicolour

HSC
Amen. That whole "Hermione" tone really pisses me off.
AHAHAH. That's exactly it. The Hermione tone.

Our teachers try to really encourage us to work as a group. We've had the cooperation lecture twice. I find it sad that some teachers actually encourage competition. All that's going to do is make your class hate each other.

waryap

HSC
everybody at my school is one big happy family ^^~
nah, we seriously are. either that or just most of my friends are really nice :]

jenga218

HSC
I find it sad that some teachers actually encourage competition. All that's going to do is make your class hate each other.
My Geography teacher was doing that. I dropped Geography because of her...

The competition at my school is unspoken. I'd say over half the year doesn't really care, but for us who do care, there is competition. The school captain who got #1 in all her classes is one of my best friends, and she's not competitive, just really smart. She doesn't hesitate to loan you her notes if you've missed a class, and loves helping people out with assignments, etc.

That's basically where all the competition is - in people who are just really smart or willing to work hard. The top 5 or 6 in the class are really smart, while the rest of them don't really care. Our teachers did try to tell us "The better everyone does, the better everyone does." Some of them emphasize it, announcing "So-and-so got top mark, but it was really close, while my Ancient History teacher, who's about the sweetest old lady I've ever met (besides my grandmother, of couse ;)) just says "Everyone did really well, and you should all be very proud of yourselves". :rolleyes:

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
God, I hate when overachievers feel the need to constantly point their marks out. There are very few girls in our year that do that, but it's so aggravating.

The most annoying person at our school though is this girl that sits near me in legal and modern who is in a constant delusion about topping both subjects when she's getting really average marks. It's not even that, it's the tone of superiority that's in her voice when she's answering a question or asking about your mark. She competes with me over classwork. It's infuriating.
But why would it bother you when she's only getting average marks? You could easily pwn her in the next test.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
I ve seen that people that are more helpful to others in most cases get the good marks. People that arent usually are loner with no real friends. Competition at my school is good but nothing too serious. We all help each other out, as there is only a handful that care. Guess thats what happens when you go to 200 something ranked school.

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
mmmz competition can be a good thing in that it gives u the motivation to study. But too much and it overshadow you and become a burden.

I ve seen that people that are more helpful to others in most cases get the good marks.
+1

This is because when you teach others, you're solidifying the concepts in your head and removing flaws in your own understanding. If you have to explain a concept to someone else, you can only do so if you first clearly understand them. In essence, a great learning technique which benifits everyone.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
The competition at my school is meh. There's this one gentleman who keeps me on the balls of my feet but thats about it... for english, though, its a different story.. I keep getting destroyed by girls.

speedofsound

HSC
The competition at my school is meh. There's this one gentleman who keeps me on the balls of my feet but thats about it... for english, though, its a different story.. I keep getting destroyed by girls.
oh no?

technicolour

HSC
But why would it bother you when she's only getting average marks? You could easily pwn her in the next test.
True, i could. It's just extremely annoying to hear the smugness in her voice. According to her, she is the oracle of everything. As annoying as it is, I can't help but laugh about it sometimes.

Then again, there's always obnoxious people in life that you have to deal with. I just recently learnt how bitchy our year can be and it's just hilarious when it comes to the golden kids at the top of our year. I reckon they'll end up stabbing each other in the back come HSC time. Literally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)