Debating (1 Viewer)

oliver.lacey

HSC
Anybody here into debating? as the son of two english teachers I've always competed in the catholic school competitions (the ajudicators are crap though) & it's a whole lota fun. Any debaters out there with a story to tell or wins to boast?

Kulazzi

HSC
I used to debate.....

waaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy back in primary school. They'd always make me first speaker because I was more confident than others. Sadly, I get really nervous these days doing speeches/uni presentations and I have no idea why =(. Oh well, we all change.

Stanzo88

HSC
oliver.lacey said:
Anybody here into debating? as the son of two english teachers I've always competed in the catholic school competitions (the ajudicators are crap though) & it's a whole lota fun. Any debaters out there with a story to tell or wins to boast?

Hey Oliver,

Catholic Schools is a great comp , I can speak from experience, doing it from yr 7-12 and now that I am out of high school I am a Catholic Schools adjudicator

Take care

:eek:)

ST

oliver.lacey

HSC
Stanzo88 said:
Hey Oliver,

Catholic Schools is a great comp , I can speak from experience, doing it from yr 7-12 and now that I am out of high school I am a Catholic Schools adjudicator

Take care

:eek:)

ST
OPPS probably shouldn't have said that! lol, I've never quite been there in the further levels but last week we had one of the nuns adjudicate...She didn't even pick up I forgot to give an introduction!

also a few years back we had a lady who gave the debate to the other team because she personally didn't agree with what we are saying :S

Hope to see you in some of the higher levels stanzo ;)

jahin

HSC
Debating is cool ... Just gets to show how much you can argue with the right and appropriate reasons. Itz actually fun .. haha . .:haha:

kaylz

HSC
it's more fun when lots of people are there. geddit?

Zantor

HSC
Ahh, the good old mass debating joke.

Debating is great fun, I always go third cause I can make crap up as I go along. Very enjoyable!

zdzislaw

Jack, much
HSC
I love debating..it's alot of fun.
What do we all think the best part of doing it was???

Well, for me it was meeting people. I meet my gf through debating......:) and that was sweet....it looks pretty good on your CV, resume and stuff

C@mM!

HSC
well, it was abit of fun. I always got made 3rd speaker though cuz I can rip shreds out of anyones argument. little rusty now that four letter words have invaded my vocab, but i can still tear down the best of em.

Logain

aka Will, Skis, Willskis
HSC
I'm rusty too. Our team came 8th in the Hume Barber Debating comp in 2004 and 12th in 2005. (In the state mind you). We were the only non- Sydney team in the comp by that point, and it was a lot of fun.

*hopeful*

HSC
C@mM! said:
well, it was abit of fun. I always got made 3rd speaker though cuz I can rip shreds out of anyones argument. little rusty now that four letter words have invaded my vocab, but i can still tear down the best of em.
hahah same reason why i was always 3rd speaker as well...i loved it...many 'best speaker' awards and moments

Kmahal1990

HSC
I remember this time when i was debating for the first time against St. Josephs college. The topic was something about should we force everyone to vote in the country. I don't know what i was doing, i made some remark about some statistic saying that only 4% of the residence of the middle west area in NSW have a tertiary education. Then cheerfuly went on to describe a map i saw in geography which depicted the percentage of tertiary educated residents in each suburb of NSW through colour coding, and the area previously described showed up white. Turns out that the adjudicator came from Berela and gave me a load of shit after the debate. And i just want to say this was not a reflection of my views, i didn't know what i was getting at.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Captain of HICES finalist team last year in senior division Woot! But now retired from debating.

Name_Taken

HSC
Captain of HICES finalist team last year in senior division Woot! But now retired from debating.
Mate you seem to be great at everything!

I love debating, been doing it since year 7. Usually go 2nd, but IDM really switching between roles.

Makdadddy

makdaddy.net
HSC
I would like to take up debating, what's it like? I've never done it. I'm in Yr 12, so would it be time consuming? How does it work, like the rules and stuff? I think it would be a great way to get my confidence up!

yoddle

is cool
HSC
I actually hate debating a lot. I'm not saying to cause offence, it just really irks me for some reason.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
I would like to take up debating, what's it like? I've never done it. I'm in Yr 12, so would it be time consuming? How does it work, like the rules and stuff? I think it would be a great way to get my confidence up!
By this stage in year 12, you may have missed out on School Debating. Your school probably has a team already picked, or at least, students already in mind for it.

It's not really all that time consuming. At most, you'd spend a couple of non consecutive days in comps, and a few lunchtimes for practice. It's manageable.

Ask your English teacher about it, and see what they suggest.

jet

Banned
HSC
Debating was an hilarious way to spend a Friday night. i always had fun.

I only started in year 10. Our school had try outs every year, even if there had been the same teams for a while. YOu should be able to. Just remember that you're going into it with no experience whilst there will be seasoned pro's. 6-8 mins of (somewhat improvised) speaking is tough.

HSC
I did it in primary school, and then in years 11 and 12, and I loved it. I'm going to an adjudicators' course next week, and hopefully helping out with the debating teams at my old school. And I'll definitely be doing it at Uni. :)

In answer to your questions, as I said, I did debating in the senior years, and I found it fine, time-wise. It really doesn't take up that much time, especially compared to things like rowing. And it teaches you how to think on your feet, and how to prepare a logical argument, which is great practice for subjects like English. Also, it's a great thing to do if you're not that sporty. I had a great time being part of a team and feeling like I contributed. Before, I'd been doing hockey, which I wasn't that good at, and never really felt a proper part of it all, but with debating, I was making a positive contribution, so it got my confidence up. It was also really good to be able to use the speaking skills I'd picked up in drama classes.

So, yeah, I think it's really worthwhile.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)