Did you choose the High School you now attend or did your Parents force it on you? (1 Viewer)

Did you choose the High School you now go to?

• Yes it was my choice

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • No my parents forced me to go to a particular school

Votes: 15 30.0%

• Total voters

lychnobity

HSC
Re: Did you choose the High School you now attend or did your Parents force it on you

were your parents forcing you or just encouraging you to go to that particular school. Did you still have enough power to be adamant and say 'No, im definitely not going to that school' if you really wanted to? IF you didnt have that, then you ultimately didnt get to to be the one who chose, your parents did. But it sounds like you did it for the sake of keeping them happy -> that was your choice to keep them happy. SO, i guess it was your choice, for me, others might think otherwise

hope i made sense
Now you do.

HSC
Re: Did you choose the High School you now attend or did your Parents force it on you

I chose the current school I've been going to for the last 2 terms.
I didn't get to choose the school I attended from yr 7- the beginning of yr 11. And wasn't allowed to move when I wanted to in yr 7 and 8.

My mum didn't want me to go to the current school I do, but my dad didn't mind :)

sydchick

HSC
N/A

I chose to go to the high school I wanted.

I wanted to be with all my friends so I choose that one.

My parents didn't really factor in. As long as it seemed clean, tidy etc and I could catch the bus there, it didn't really bother them where I went.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

I was kinda forced to go to my current school. But I thank my parents alot for that because that was the best school that I could go with my standards, situation, ability and circumstances.

EDIT: actually my school is the best =)

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC

me mum forced me into my skool....didn wanna go there in yr7,,,however in terms of academic performance im VERY glad me mum made me go there lol

MissGiggles

HSC

is there an option for "neither of us 'chose' it"? i had minimal problems so i just stayed in the catholic system and was moved along automatically with our "zoning" system. our files are sent automatically to the connected secondary school and then the senior college and they send us paperwork to confirm we're coming. our places are practically guaranteed.

since our parents obviously want us to have a catholic education, they usually don't come to year 7 and decide to change our school. we get all sorts of idiotic stuff shouted at us by public and private students walking home and sharing buses, so we hate the idea of joining them. and so most parents sign the forms and we all go happily to our next school together and gang up on other suburbs, minus people who get accepted to selective schools.

it's not like anyone's thinking "i really want to go to sfx!", it feels like our old school continuing.

Last edited:

Supaweak

HSC

realistic response :
MOST people are usually happy with the school they attend (yes i know there are exceptions if your are bullied/harrassed w/e) even though they didnt want to attend that school in the first place. You make friendships/get used to things to the point where your like 'hey im glad im at this school and not the one i originally wanted'. But if you DID go to the original school that you wanted then it is highly likely you would repeat the same things.

@sikhman, dude, keep the discussion simple lol,
im asking if YOU chose your school, doesnt matter if you got suggestions/encouragements from your parents, just because they influence or give input does not mean that they choose, ultimately ,YOU are the one who decides. the other option is if your parents disregarded your entire input and picked the school for you.

Supaweak

HSC

is there an option for "neither of us 'chose' it"? i had minimal problems so i just stayed in the catholic system and was moved along automatically with our "zoning" system. our files are sent automatically to the connected secondary school and then the senior college and they send us paperwork to confirm we're coming. our places are practically guaranteed.

since our parents obviously want us to have a catholic education, they usually don't come to year 7 and decide to change our school. we get all sorts of idiotic stuff shouted at us by public and private students walking home and sharing buses, so we hate the idea of joining them. and so most parents sign the forms and we all go happily to our next school together and gang up on other suburbs, minus people who get accepted to selective schools.

it's not like anyone's thinking "i really want to go to sfx!", it feels like our old school continuing.
ooh, a case thats a bit diff. So you just basically went on with the flow (i think) and didnt really have a session to decide which high school you went to. Well, was this choice to just go onto the secondary school YOUR choice? Could you of said 'no i dont want to go to this school' and picked another one? I think it is your decision that you just 'stayed with the system', it doesnt sound like your parents forced you on to stay and your primary school definitely does not have the authority to force which high school you go to.

edit: just reread everything and how you describe 'other' schools. You definitely chose to go onto your systematic secondary school. And you had the choice to move to another if you wanted.

Supaweak

HSC

ah k righto...get it now

nah I know that had I gone to my 2nd choice, I wouldn't have done a heap of stuff I am doing now...that said I've also missed out on a couple of opportunities by going to this school - but I think ultimately I made the right choice...

and thats all that matters:spin:

MissGiggles

HSC

ooh, a case thats a bit diff. So you just basically went on with the flow (i think) and didnt really have a session to decide which high school you went to. Well, was this choice to just go onto the secondary school YOUR choice? Could you of said 'no i dont want to go to this school' and picked another one? I think it is your decision that you just 'stayed with the system', it doesnt sound like your parents forced you on to stay and your primary school definitely does not have the authority to force which high school you go to.

edit: just reread everything and how you describe 'other' schools. You definitely chose to go onto your systematic secondary school. And you had the choice to move to another if you wanted.
when we were all at primary school, the teachers and parents would talk about "Clemente" as if we'd already signed up. by years five and six the teachers were saying "the Clemente teachers won't spoon feed you like this" and other parents would ask "so, you're going to [Clemente] too?".

the Clemente and SFX (the senior college) students would come by to get siblings or revisit teachers and teachers and parents would say that that would be us in however many years. and it is like brainwashing because at that age you assume you're just going to be sent to the same place as everyone else.

issue two is that i know i, at least, was too young to pick my school starting year 7. when did you discuss your choice of schools with your parents? and since i'd already started and gotten settled in with new friends at Clemente it made no sense to leave. i suppose i was able to consider other schools last year, but i had no problems with my mum's choice to sign me along to SFX.

i was happy to go to SFX because i respect that my mum is still my legal guardian and i am living in her house at her expense, and almost everyone i know made the jump with me. but if i complained about SFX (i wouldn't) or mum asked me to change then i would definately start going to the public school.

but i'd be nervous my first day as soon as someone asked where i was from. the public students at the train station used to hassle us until the police started hanging around the train station every day. that's the reputation they'e earnt in our neighbourhood.

aussienerd

Don't eat yellow snow.
HSC
Uni Grad

im at a hospital school at the moment so neither

Blaz-357

HSC

well i got a choice between a private skool and a public skool (my mum chose).
I picked the private one and my mum told me, "we cant afford it." :cry:

Gypo09

HSC

i was forced to go to a private school that i didn't want to go to. i hated it so i got a deal... if i still hated it after the first year i could then change schools. i stayed and i'm happy i did :)

maxrozen

HSC

Peter skrzynecki flashback anyone?

ftsklol_

HSC

I chose the high school I went to, but my parents did influence my decision, since my brother and sister went there and everyone agreed that it was a good school. Ultimately, it was me who chose which school to go to, even if it would take an hour to get home by bus and there was another high school within walking distance.

College was my choice as well, but it out of convenience. It was down the street of my high school, so I wouldn't need to learn any new bus routes and the majority of my high school friends were going to that college as well.

Niek

HSC

I was enrolled in two high schools as soon as I was born ;) long waiting list.
So I guess that counts as having to choose from my parents' selections... but at the time I wasn't thinking 'ughhh I don't wanna go to either of these but I GUESS I will go to this one' - I was quite happy with my choice :D

MissGiggles

HSC

for everyone prepared to travel around the city, we still only have a choice of one of any type of school so the decision isn't really a decicison. we try to get as far up this list as possible:

-Merewether for the academicly brilliant
-HSPA for the artistic
-HSHS for the athletic
-St Phillips for the rich (or on scholarships/willing to take a second mortgage out)
-grammar for the financially better off and academic but not as much as above
-any catholic high school then SFX College for students who want to be somewhere above but are on waiting lists/rejected/can't afford it (me...woo!) (+a few actually religious students)
-and then the public system for everyone else

and then we all get on the same busses and judge each other. SFX comes off as spockish because they make us wear blazers, HSPA are known by us for usually not talking or sitting next to someone in another uniform (if someone from HSPA is reading this, i don't mean to be rude, but we don't bite), the public school get on and scream at each other the rest of the way, and the few grammar students are always on their own so they make friends with us and the occasional social HSPA or lone HSHS students. they have so many more opportunities than us.

it's not like any of us are thinking "yes this school sounds really good, i want to go there", it's "i want to do music" or "i can afford to go to the private school"

Last edited:

css

HSC

i got full scholarships to a few places and into selectives, but at that stage i was so sick of selective streaming (oc class) i chose to go private. my parents let me choose, but if i hadn't got scholarships i would have gone selective, and if i hadn't got selective i would have gone to the local public (where my brother goes which as it turns out is pretty decent anyway).

MissGiggles

HSC

where the hell is st phillips? i thought it was in cessnock?
there could be one in cessnock. there is a group of them and the one close to me has almost bought out the whole block it's on. their uniform shop is an entire house!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)