• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you believe in God? (1 Viewer)

Do you believe in God?

• Total voters

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Re: Do you believe is God?

The purpose was to merely show you that I have at least *some* basis for my belief, and that it isn't based out of merely following my parents/social situation/seeking comfort/being batshit insane.
I don't think your batshit insane. :) And I don't think there is much for either of us to be gained in me countering your counter-claims. Although to this:

http://www.eternal-productions.org/101science.html

I will say: Hindsight is amazing, isn't it? Consider this when reading the list. Nostradamus also made plenty of predictions.

A little piece from Sam Harris as well:

But just imagine how breathtakingly specific a work of prophecy could be if it were actually the product of omniscience. If the Bible were such a book, it would make specific, falsifiable predictions about human events. You would expect it to contain a passage like, "In the latter half of the twentieth century, humankind will develop a globally linked system of computers-the principles of which I set forth in Leviticus-and this system shall be called the Internet." The Bible contains nothing remotely like this. In fact, it does not contain a single sentence that could not have been written by a man or woman living in the first century.

Again, none of this is posted to make you change your mind. An d no malice intended.

I would posit though that I am an atheist not because I disbelieve in a God. I am an atheist because there is insufficent evidence to suggest there is a god. Therefore, atheism becomes a default position until theists can prove otherwise. The same true of goblins, the loch ness monster, bigfoot etc. Disbelief is the default position under sufficient proof is provided.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A

To be quite honest, you are doing exactly the same thing.

However I do agree with you on the point that some people on both sides of the argument can speak down to you in order to enforce their beliefs. I am not one of these people and I really don't care what people believe in. Why should I? It doesn't concern me as much as it doesn't concern me as to what clothes you wear, or how you style your hair. It's your choice at the end of the day, and you are entitled to it.

hmm. if you REALLY believed everyone who didn't share your particular flavour of christianity was shortly (in relative terms) about to burn in hell for all eternity, I think you'd care a bit more

I don't think you really believe it.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

I don't think your batshit insane. :) And I don't think there is much for either of us to be gained in me countering your counter-claims. Although to this:

http://www.eternal-productions.org/101science.html

I will say: Hindsight is amazing, isn't it? Consider this when reading the list. Nostradamus also made plenty of predictions.

A little piece from Sam Harris as well:

But just imagine how breathtakingly specific a work of prophecy could be if it were actually the product of omniscience. If the Bible were such a book, it would make specific, falsifiable predictions about human events. You would expect it to contain a passage like, "In the latter half of the twentieth century, humankind will develop a globally linked system of computers-the principles of which I set forth in Leviticus-and this system shall be called the Internet." The Bible contains nothing remotely like this. In fact, it does not contain a single sentence that could not have been written by a man or woman living in the first century.

Again, none of this is posted to make you change your mind. An d no malice intended.

I would posit though that I am an atheist not because I disbelieve in a God. I am an atheist because there is insufficent evidence to suggest there is a god. Therefore, atheism becomes a default position until theists can prove otherwise. The same true of goblins, the loch ness monster, bigfoot etc. Disbelief is the default position under sufficient proof is provided.
I agree in all honestly, and it is refreshing to speak to someone productively (which the old thread mostly lacked), so thank you for that.

Hindsight still does not mean the facts are invalid. I'm not trying to create the implication that the bible is authentic on this alone, but rather these facts do infact add weight to its authenticity in my opinion.

As far as Sam Harris is concerned, I find his statement overly simplistic and misleading at best.

I don't like getting into these discussions because they are generally pointless. People have their own beliefs and they will stick to them because they were not randomly formed.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

hmm. if you REALLY believed everyone who didn't share your particular flavour of christianity was shortly (in relative terms) about to burn in hell for all eternity, I think you'd care a bit more

I don't think you really believe it.
I don't understand what you mean, sorry. What don't I really believe?

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A

I'm saying I don't think you really believe in god in the way you believe, say, there's air in the room around you. I think you'd just really really like it to be true.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

I probably believe in God more than the more vocal batshit insane Christians who tarnish the reputation of Christianity. The difference however is that I actually know what's in the bible, rather than what the pope or some minister has fed me, which is probably why I'm tolerant of everyone's beliefs.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A

well, at least the fundies' actions are consistent with their beliefs

HSC

The bible tarnishes its own image. You are entitled to ur opinion. I am entitled to criticise your opinion to the very edge of the cliff.
Basically the bible is so full of flaws that no religious person accepts it. In fact, now they are trying to come up with all these stupid excuses that it has different meanings. I don't want to criticise beliefs but christianity and other religions are simply unavoidable from criticism. PLUS SCIENTOLOGY IS GAY. What if scientology's ideas are true? How would you know? Because it is complete nonsense that represents pure fantasy.
You are entitled to your own opinion, but damn it, would you re-read your posts before actually posting them! I seriously don't mean any offence, but I just can't understand what you're saying.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

All and all, believers will stay firm on their beliefs and call others ignorant (even if you don't say so, you are clearly saying others are ignoring the fact that god does exist. Simply like this -> reworded in a 'nicer' way.). And we atheists will completely assure you using full logic that god and religion are bullshit (at least by me). But we can never seem convince you that the entire thing just seems to unreal (well here I go again).

Actually, that is why I'm adopting an idea which is that even if religion and god is true, we don't need it. Obvious since I can live without it, so can you!
IF that god happens to be your god, I will FUCK HIM for making a world full of flaws that are so easily identified.

EDIT: Creating light, then creating light source. It is in the BIBLE! That was funny. Yet people simply say otherwise. Also, there was a religious guy who agreed with me that the holy texts were man-made. um, that's the point? yet ignore that a divine book can't simply be so full of flaws. OTHERWISE WHY CALL HIM PERFECT?
Obviously you were raised as a Christian and you were probably touched inappropriately by a priest/religious figure or your parent died or something and you're upset at God for not making you have a perfect life

Either way you still believe in God and take your anger out on those who haven't questioned their faith yet

Lentern

HSC

Obviously you were raised as a Christian and you were probably touched inappropriately by a priest/religious figure or your parent died or something and you're upset at God for not making you have a perfect life

Either way you still believe in God and take your anger out on those who haven't questioned their faith yet
Clearly he is a gay who just wants to get married.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A

maximum trolling

Jaundice

Banned
HSC
N/A

Guys what have the Holy Trinity done for me recently?

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC

Sounds like you're more agnostic, instead of a definite Atheist as Atheism is the position of rejection of gods, whereas agnosticism is the view that there may be deities but not necessarily proof of the fact.

I'm an Atheist, and I enjoy having conversations with a Christian friend of mine about beliefs. I accept that his beliefs and he doesn't try to force them on me which is great, but people who do try to force it on me are those which aren't worthy of my time.

I could give a list of why I don't believe there is a God, but there are a lot that are shared by others which have been heard thousands of times.

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A

Sounds like you're more agnostic, instead of a definite Atheist as Atheism is the position of rejection of gods, whereas agnosticism is the view that there may be deities but not necessarily proof of the fact.

I'm an Atheist, and I enjoy having conversations with a Christian friend of mine about beliefs. I accept that his beliefs and he doesn't try to force them on me which is great, but people who do try to force it on me are those which aren't worthy of my time.

I could give a list of why I don't believe there is a God, but there are a lot that are shared by others which have been heard thousands of times.
agnosticism is the silliest position of all

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)