Do you believe in God? (1 Viewer)

Do you believe in God?

• Total voters

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Do you believe is God?

Well as a Christian speaking from a biblical perspective, I don't know why these natural disasters have occured, nor am I going to try and invent my own explanation and pass it off as fact.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Well as a Christian speaking from a biblical perspective, I don't know why these natural disasters have occured, nor am I going to try and invent my own explanation and pass it off as fact.
Well as an atheist speaking from a non-religious perspective, I don't know how the universe occured, but I am not going to try and invent a religion and pass it off as fact to answer the question.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC

hahaha well played

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

Well as an atheist speaking from a non-religious perspective, I don't know how the universe occured, but I am not going to try and invent a religion and pass it off as fact to answer the question.
That is your perogative and it doesn't really concern me.

Athiesm for me doesn't answer some fundamental questions, or put to rest some fundamental concerns. For example, I haven't witnessed nothing creating nothing yet so I am inclined to believe the universe has a creator.

People have been debating this since the beginning of time because it is a conversation that keeps going around in circles.

Also, people can ultimately believe in whatever they like as long as it isn't forced on me, and beliefs on all ends are respected.

RANK 1

HSC

These disasters take place in order to test man kind, it is to see how people react and how patient a person is because in these instances many people start to deny the belief in a deity and start saying the exact thing "If there really was a God out there why would he do such and such?". Trust me i've personally experienced this when a loved one passed away but at the end of the day it is something we will all go through, if not through an earthquake it will be some other way. So what i personally believe is that prayer and patience in these times of calamity is beneficial, as a Muslim i belive the more prayers you make the better it is as stated in the Quran "Remember Me; I will remember you. Be grateful to Me; and do not reject faith. (Holy Quran [2:152). Remeber god during your good times and god will remember you during your difficult times, this earthquake may be a sign for some people you never know.
At the end of the day each person has their own belief and i respect that, we should always have an open mind and heart to learn about other religions in order to make a decision of what we think is right.
some1 passing away is not the same as some1 getting killed...and if god really is all powerful whats the point using an earthquake to kill them and destroying millions of lives in the process, why not just kill them

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

I find it unfathomable that a god could exist. Therefore, I'm atheist. I could seriously go on for days about why I don't believe in God, but everyone is pretty set in their beliefs. If someone gave me days of reasons why God existed, I still wouldn't believe them.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

Athiesm for me doesn't answer some fundamental questions, or put to rest some fundamental concerns.For example, I haven't witnessed nothing creating nothing yet so I am inclined to believe the universe has a creator.
No it doesn't, it is not really a philosophical position, much a aunicornist isn't a position. I'll pose to you a few questions to consider. Firstly, why can the universe not have existed forever; why can't it be the final position? Logic dictates that if everything much have a creator, then God respectively must have a creator. You can't argue that a creator is proof for god, because god is subject to it. If god is not subject to it, why is it the exception, and not the universe?

Secondly, why is it necessarily a Christian God that created the world? Why not God with the attributes given by Muslims, or the Jews? Or the Hindu gods? Or those of the Norse or Greek.

Also, people can ultimately believe in whatever they like as long as it isn't forced on me, and beliefs on all ends are respected.
This is true. I support this as well. In Australia the problem isn't too bad. But take a look at America were a large percentage. 40% IIRC, don't believe in evolution. Or the anti-vaccination campaigns propagated by the Christians that has assisted in the death of thousands of children infected with disease. Belief is not a problem; you are entitled to them and I can respect those that have them. But when religion is used a device to spread lies and cultivate fear, that's what I have a problem with.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

There shouldn't be ethic classes in primary schools

Because then we can't indoctrinate children

And that is the greatest evil

Chemical Ali

지금은 소녀시대
HSC
N/A

mods you have like 5 minutes to lock this thread or it's getting filled up with humorous atheistic images

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A

mods you have like 5 minutes to lock this thread or it's getting filled up with humorous atheistic images
As long as you're not spamming the forum with them, feel free to post.

ibbi00

HSC

Oh I miss these threads.........

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

No it doesn't, it is not really a philosophical position, much a aunicornist isn't a position. I'll pose to you a few questions to consider. Firstly, why can the universe not have existed forever; why can't it be the final position?
It is commonly accepted in the scientific and broader community that the universe has not existed forever (hence the Big Bang Theory, for example). The evidence for the creation of the universe, is staggering and cannot be ignored. The fact that both religion and science can agree on this post ultimately makes it difficult to reject. I cannot argue on your second point because I don't know whether the universe is the final position or not. Religion may very well be alluding to things such as other realms, rather than the creation of a heaven outside this universe.

Logic dictates that if everything much have a creator, then God respectively must have a creator. You can't argue that a creator is proof for god, because god is subject to it. If god is not subject to it, why is it the exception, and not the universe?
By the logic in your first question, I could also argue that God has existed forever. My belief is derived from the principle that something creates something, and nothing creates nothing. While I will not claim to understand how God has come into existence as much as you cannot understand how the universe came to be, I find it more logical to accept the idea that there is creator who has created everything that has come into existence today. A house, car, boat, computer, textbook, mobile phone, piece of paper, pen, or just about anything that has come into existence cannot be created out of thin air. All these things require a creator. I am merely using this same logic.

Secondly, why is it necessarily a Christian God that created the world? Why not God with the attributes given by Muslims, or the Jews? Or the Hindu gods? Or those of the Norse or Greek.
There are many reasons why I believe the Christian God to be the creator, however I am not going to go through that list and disprove other religions. What I will say however, is that I believe the bible contains an array of scientific facts which were written before they were officially discovered. Click here for some. In addition to this, the discovery of the dead sea scrolls has further added authenticity to the content within the bible.

Which other book in the history of mankind has been composed by authors hundreds of years apart, yet managed to flow together so smoothly while simultaneously predicting world events? For example, it can be argued that the disintegration and subsequent rise of the state of Israel was foretold in the bible years before it actually happened.

This is true. I support this as well. In Australia the problem isn't too bad. But take a look at America were a large percentage. 40% IIRC, don't believe in evolution. Or the anti-vaccination campaigns propagated by the Christians that has assisted in the death of thousands of children infected with disease. Belief is not a problem; you are entitled to them and I can respect those that have them. But when religion is used a device to spread lies and cultivate fear, that's what I have a problem with.
I agree with you here. I hate batshit insane Christians who manipulate the bible to suit their own purposes. I hate the church and I hate the pope because in my opinion they have gone against what Christianity has stood for. I don't look down on other belief systems and in fact, I believe each has its own merits. Athiesm for example has a significant reliance of science to answer questions, while some religions or at least religious sects, try to avoid this. There is no reason why science and religion have to be mutually exclusive, and the world would be a much better place if people could accept the fact that they do not have all of lifes answers.

The purpose of my post was to not to try and convince you that Christianity is the true religion or brainwash you into accepting what I believe in. The purpose was to merely show you that I have at least *some* basis for my belief, and that it isn't based out of merely following my parents/social situation/seeking comfort/being batshit insane.

Azure

Premium Member
HSC

All and all, believers will stay firm on their beliefs and call others ignorant (even if you don't say so, you are clearly saying others are ignoring the fact that god does exist. Simply like this -> reworded in a 'nicer' way.).
To be quite honest, you are doing exactly the same thing.

However I do agree with you on the point that some people on both sides of the argument can speak down to you in order to enforce their beliefs. I am not one of these people and I really don't care what people believe in. Why should I? It doesn't concern me as much as it doesn't concern me as to what clothes you wear, or how you style your hair. It's your choice at the end of the day, and you are entitled to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)