• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you believe in God? (2 Viewers)

Do you believe in God?

• Total voters

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Do you believe is God?

Am I right in saying that God doesn't reveal himself because he believes that we should have free will and thereby we should find him? As any revelation of himself would be considered intruding and biased?

RANK 1

HSC

bahahaha

so u dont even know ur perspective yet but are willing to shape it based on my answer

well, im sorry mate

i cant provide a unified static definition of god

it varies for everyone
exactly, which is why i need to know your stance on god, so therefore i won't be making any generalisations as i am debating the existence of god with YOU.

noworriez1

HSC
N/A

And, i think epicurus is wrong

Yes, IT is able but not willing

Is it then of malevolent intent? of course not

Is humanities need for an omnipotent being to rectify their mistakes due to a need for irresponsibility? i think so

i hate when people turn to aphorisms/epithets to prove a point
it really just shows they lack a mind for themselves

noworriez1

HSC
N/A

Am I right in saying that God doesn't reveal himself because he believes that we should have free will and thereby we should find him? As any revelation of himself would be considered intruding and biased?
i would agree

nice point

edit: even if we said you weren't right, we are in no position to claim what is right or wrong

dont ever ask for anyone to affirm ur beliefs

Last edited:

noworriez1

HSC
N/A

exactly, which is why i need to know your stance on god, so therefore i won't be making any generalisations as i am debating the existence of god with YOU.
no
u made a generalised statement that was not directed at anyone specifically

and of what purpose to your own stance would it be in refuting mine?

just admit
u dont know what you believe in
but want to be cool/different/seemintelligent by repudiating the values of christianity that are widely held

i hate seeing people do that

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
ur dumb
and very narrow-minded
please riddle me this
if we were born and made FREE
of what purpose would it be to constantly intervene?
are we then all that free?
freedom bears privileges and consequences
- most consequences have been a direct result of our action
- how will we ever learn if god will say "hmm, well they fucked up YET AGAIN better patch things up"
also, we arent the only free-beings
the ecological system is free to be temperamental
we have caused our own self-restrictions due to crime/a lack of trust
+ not believing in the CHRISTIAN God because of CATHOLIC dogma and patriarchal beliefs is just straight out stupid
i am a christian who believes in god but does not align myself with the catholic interpretations (nor any other denom for that matter)
please think b4 u post and make me waste my time
If "god" truly made us free then why did he set rules to restrict our freedom (Decalogue, etc.)?
If all this "bad stuff" happens because it is the direct consequence of our actions then why did the Japan Earthquake/Tsunami happen? What did they do to deserve it? As an entire nation they surely couldn't have done anything that bad.
You're not of any denomination? Why? Just because Catholics are out of touch with modern day society doesn't mean all the other sects are. It just shows that you haven't even explored your religion/god enough to find one that suits you.

Also, he asked you to define God because usually you define the topics of a debate before you begin debating. (I'm a master debater)

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
If "god" truly made us free then why did he set rules to restrict our freedom (Decalogue, etc.)?
If all this "bad stuff" happens because it is the direct consequence of our actions then why did the Japan Earthquake/Tsunami happen? What did they do to deserve it? As an entire nation they surely couldn't have done anything that bad.
You're not of any denomination? Why? Just because Catholics are out of touch with modern day society doesn't mean all the other sects are. It just shows that you haven't even explored your religion/god enough to find one that suits you.
only read ur first 2 qs and cbb reading the rest

i didnt say EVERYTHING is a direct consequence of our action

we arent the only free beings

why would god fashion a world where we are instantly protected from everything? that is not freedom at all

freedom comes with unpredictability.. in the ecology, in the thoughts of a human being, in everything

yet, it also comes with the gift of diversity, creation, and completely destroys the notion of the impossible

+ he did not give rules that we had to follow and straight away restricted our being

i do not believe that any interactions were made with god besides Jesus Christ and the rest were just metaphorical or a means of providing a basis for why their rules should be implemented
i do not believe god made a covenant with moses and abraham
thats just part of the egotism that structures the jewish faith

but if u do ill go through that anyway
they were basically guidelines

RANK 1

HSC

but if he knows everything already then free will is just an illusion and therefore he would already know who is going to find him or not(assuming he existed), which would mean that whether or not an individual is going to burn in hell for eternity is already predetermined from the moment of birth. this would also mean that people in ireland, england, etc will have less of a chance to be sent to hell as opposed to people in china, thailand and india.

RANK 1

HSC

no
u made a generalised statement that was not directed at anyone specifically

and of what purpose to your own stance would it be in refuting mine?

just admit
u dont know what you believe in
but want to be cool/different/seemintelligent by repudiating the values of christianity that are widely held

i hate seeing people do that
you're kind of just avoiding the debate here.... and i dont believe in anything unless there's substantial evidence supporting it. and my purpose for a debate is so that i can gain a better understanding of your way of thinking.

noworriez1

HSC
N/A

but if he knows everything already then free will is just an illusion and therefore he would already know who is going to find him or not(assuming he existed), which would mean that whether or not an individual is going to burn in hell for eternity is already predetermined from the moment of birth. this would also mean that people in ireland, england, etc will have less of a chance to be sent to hell as opposed to people in china, thailand and india.
i dont think everything is predetermined

but IT can foresee where our behaviour will take us

just like IT may see that tomorrow i will stay in bed (at this point in time)

IT can also see that i will change my mind and decide to wake up earlier (later on during the day)

just because IT may be able to foresee what we will do, does not mean we are in any way restricted to a predetermined path

if IT can see into the future, that just means that IT has insight into what will take place tomorrow based on our decisions for IT to take place. i never understood why people thought that this meant our paths were predetermined.. its our decisions that lead us to the impending future that IT may already know about in advance

+ im not sure i entirely believe that IT can seee into the future
but i havent made my mind up on that issue yet

noworriez1

HSC
N/A

you're kind of just avoiding the debate here.... and i dont believe in anything unless there's substantial evidence supporting it. and my purpose for a debate is so that i can gain a better understanding of your way of thinking.
no
ur ignorance is just mentally fatiguing and ive lost the will to talk anymore

ill let u stay with ur belief/or non-belief whatever the fuck it is

ive got to learn just to leave the dumb and stupid alone

RANK 1

HSC

i dont think everything is predetermined

but IT can foresee where our behaviour will take us

just like IT may see that tomorrow i will stay in bed (at this point in time)

IT can also see that i will change my mind and decide to wake up earlier (later on during the day)

just because IT may be able to foresee what we will do, does not mean we are in any way restricted to a predetermined path

if IT can see into the future, that just means that IT has insight into what will take place tomorrow based on our decisions for IT to take place. i never understood why people thought that this meant our paths were predetermined.. its our decisions that lead us to the impending future that IT may already know about in advance

+ im not sure i entirely believe that IT can seee into the future
but i havent made my mind up on that issue yet
so he doesnt know everything?

noworriez1

HSC
N/A

so he doesnt know everything?
i havent decided what i believe in yet in that realm of things

but from my explanation, i took the assumption that IT did

i can just tell from ur qs and deductions that u aren't that intelligent

anyways, im just going to stop posting

all i ask is that u do some research or some serious thinking b4 making an idiot of urself

at least then, we can give u some merit for trying and still looking stupid

RANK 1

HSC

noworriez1 heres a video on the nature of a debate, because you dont seem to understand the point of a debate,

RANK 1

HSC

i havent decided what i believe in yet in that realm of things

but from my explanation, i took the assumption that IT did

anyways, im just going to stop posting

all i ask is that u do some research or some serious thinking b4 making an idiot of urself

at least then, we can give u some merit for trying and still looking stupid
fuck me dead, are you fucking stupid? the only thing you're doing is insulting me and telling me that im ignorant and stupid, but u dont give any proper reasons for it. whereas im giving you reasons as to for the things i say, you're just insulting me to substitute for your lack of reasoning. so in the end you're really worse than me.

and according to your assumption it knows the future, and as he is a perfect being, that would mean he is right and given that he knows the future, it would be without doubt that the future is predetermined to happened the way he saw it. otherwise he would not be all-knowing and perfect

noworriez1

HSC
N/A

fuck me dead, are you fucking stupid? the only thing you're doing is insulting me and telling me that im ignorant and stupid, but u dont give any proper reasons for it. whereas im giving you reasons as to for the things i say, you're just insulting me to substitute for your lack of reasoning. so in the end you're really worse than me.

and according to your assumption it knows the future, and as he is a perfect being, that would mean he is right and given that he knows the future, it would be without doubt that the future is predetermined to happened the way he saw it. otherwise he would not be all-knowing and perfect
lmao
i gave reasons for why u are

did u only deduce from those massive walls of text that u are stupid?

please stop kidding urself

if it knows the end... it doesnt mean we are restricted to a predetermined course for the means

it is aware of our decisions

its like watching a movie/documentary of a historical event

we already know how it turns out, but we observe the decisions they made to get there
and decisions are a sign of freedom

also, if a debate is about "winning" for you (as demonstrated in ur video post) then i feel that there is not point talking to u any further

ur just stupid and stubborn.

RANK 1

HSC

lmao
i gave reasons for why u are

did u only deduce from those massive walls of text that u are stupid?

please stop kidding urself

if it knows the end... it doesnt mean we are restricted to a predetermined course for the means

it is aware of our decisions

its like watching a movie/documentary of a historical event

we already know how it turns out, but we observe the decisions they made to get there
and decisions are a sign of freedom

also, if a debate is about "winning" for you (as demonstrated in ur video post) then i feel that there is not point talking to u any further

ur just stupid and stubborn.

and also it knows everything according to your assumption so therefore it knows EVERYTHING, the end result does not count as everything

also
this does not count as valid reasoning you also need to provide examples

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
only read ur first 2 qs and cbb reading the rest

i didnt say EVERYTHING is a direct consequence of our action

we arent the only free beings

why would god fashion a world where we are instantly protected from everything? that is not freedom at all

freedom comes with unpredictability.. in the ecology, in the thoughts of a human being, in everything

yet, it also comes with the gift of diversity, creation, and completely destroys the notion of the impossible

+ he did not give rules that we had to follow and straight away restricted our being

i do not believe that any interactions were made with god besides Jesus Christ and the rest were just metaphorical or a means of providing a basis for why their rules should be implemented
i do not believe god made a covenant with moses and abraham
thats just part of the egotism that structures the jewish faith

but if u do ill go through that anyway
they were basically guidelines
cbb reading this (as you would say)
Here's what I think of freedom:

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad

sometimes people's stupidity pisses me off, i go to a catholic school and it annoys me whenever they say lets pray for something. if god was real we wouldnt have to pray in the first place, i.e lets all pray for japan. well if an omnipotent all-loving god existed japan wouldnt have gotten fucked over in the first place
This is one of the best arguments for the non-existence of God. However, it is still bad.

If Christianity could not account for the existence of evil and suffering, then this would be good criticism of the the Christian faith. The Bible is very clear on the origin of evil, suffering and sin, its nature, its effects, how God feels about it, what God does about it, what God will do about it. In fact, there is even a Christian doctrine and philosophy that deals only with sin (called Hamartiology, if your interested)

Atheists, on the other hand, talk out of both sides of their mouths concerning evil, suffering and sin. They complain when God doesn't punish sin, then they complain when God does. They then say that since God doesn't handle problems the way atheists think God should, that is proof God doesn't exist.

It is arrogant to assume that everyone who doesn't agree with you is mentally deluded. Atheists cannot defend what they believe, so they attack what other people believe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)