• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Do you believe in God? (1 Viewer)

Do you believe in God?

• Total voters

noworriez1

HSC
N/A
Re: Do you believe is God?

In what way?

edit:

i understand nao

(didnt read his full post cos too much retardation is going around)

Last edited:

Haemolymph

Banned
HSC

y do my posts keep getting deleted?!!/1!?1
I LOVE GOD AND I WONT BE SILENCED!11;!!!

noworriez1

HSC
N/A

No ones deleting them
What have u posted?

And I love u 2

RANK 1

HSC

This is one of the best arguments for the non-existence of God. However, it is still bad.

If Christianity could not account for the existence of evil and suffering, then this would be good criticism of the the Christian faith. The Bible is very clear on the origin of evil, suffering and sin, its nature, its effects, how God feels about it, what God does about it, what God will do about it. In fact, there is even a Christian doctrine and philosophy that deals only with sin (called Hamartiology, if your interested)

Atheists, on the other hand, talk out of both sides of their mouths concerning evil, suffering and sin. They complain when God doesn't punish sin, then they complain when God does. They then say that since God doesn't handle problems the way atheists think God should, that is proof God doesn't exist.

It is arrogant to assume that everyone who doesn't agree with you is mentally deluded. Atheists cannot defend what they believe, so they attack what other people believe.

i never said that they're delusional, i said that the whole concept of praying is stupid. logically and statistically, praying does not do anything.

and the fact that there is evil would pretty much mean, that god is not omnipotent. and i not saying that god is not handling things the way we think he should, im saying that god is not handling things the way that an omnipotent, omnibenevolent god should. i mean why use natural disasters as a way of punishing sin and get all the innocent people in the crossfire? why not just kill people such as murders, rapists, etc with heart attacks or something?

and also i dont believe in anything. hence why im an atheist and given that you're claiming that there is a god the onus is on you

shugadaddy

HSC

I'm an atheist BUT i dont want to be one..... o_O

Freddici

HSC

DO people who believe word for word in the bible, actually believe that incest is where humans came from?

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad

i never said that they're delusional, i said that the whole concept of praying is stupid. logically and statistically, praying does not do anything.

and the fact that there is evil would pretty much mean, that god is not omnipotent. and i not saying that god is not handling things the way we think he should, im saying that god is not handling things the way that an omnipotent, omnibenevolent god should. i mean why use natural disasters as a way of punishing sin and get all the innocent people in the crossfire? why not just kill people such as murders, rapists, etc with heart attacks or something?

and also i dont believe in anything. hence why im an atheist and given that you're claiming that there is a god the onus is on you

So you say God is not handling things the way that an omnipotent, omnibenevolent God should? But then, you have to make a judgement...how does an 'omnipotent, omnibenevolent' God handle things? Is this not reflective of your own judgement's and criteria, set by you and your perspective of what God should ideally do? Thus, you are indirectly, knowing or unknowingly stating that God isn't doing things the way you think God should, and therefore, God doesn't exist. This is a common mistake made by most atheists.

Yes, the onus is on me, if I wish to claim God exists. However, the onus is on you to prove that 'God' should handle things in the way that an 'omnipotent, omnibenevolent god' should. Why should God handle things in a specific way, as you claim? These standards of how God should handle things, ultimately, are standards set by you, are they not?

Inevitably, to reject God, or any entity for that matter, you must have a definition. Think in the shoes of a theist, now try to define God. To a theist, on a metaphysical level, what is God?

Last edited:

Garygaz

HSC

So you say God is not handling things the way that an omnipotent, omnibenevolent God should? But then, you have to make a judgement...how does an 'omnipotent, omnibenevolent' God handle things? Is this not reflective of your own judgement's and criteria, set by you and your perspective of what God should ideally do? Thus, you are indirectly, knowing or unknowingly stating that God isn't doing things the way you think God should, and therefore, God doesn't exist. This is a common mistake made by most atheists.

Yes, the onus is on me, if I wish to claim God exists. However, the onus is on you to prove that 'God' should handle things in the way that an 'omnipotent, omnibenevolent god' should. Why should God handle things in a specific way, as you claim? These standards of how God should handle things, ultimately, are standards set by you, are they not?

Inevitably, to reject God, or any entity for that matter, you must have a definition. Think in the shoes of a theist, now try to define God. To a theist, on a metaphysical level, what is God?
as i have previously mentioned, why would a 'god' make human life? why would an infinitely powerful entity make small peons, who of which he knew, due to his incredible intellect, exactly what they would do and when they would do it. if you are to assume that a god gave us 'free will', the common excuse that many believers make for everything that goes wrong in this world, you must postulate that when this infinitely powerful god gave it to us, he must of immediately have known of the consequences. people were destined to be burned alive, maimed as children, to start up thousands of religions practically praising false prophets, lives full of disease, famine, war, torture, inequality, injustice and death. but apparently, this god enjoys his creations, similarly to how we enjoy watching our pets, if they are good we will reward them, if they are not, not so lucky. but do we watch as our pet squirms in pain from breaking its leg? do we watch as another pet attacks our pet? no, we do not. the very idea of evil is a joke. to assume god created everything is to assume he created evil. free will is to freeness to commit evil. this god watches indifferently as children infected with aids suffer, their stomachs swelling, their body degrading. this god watches neutrally as a suicide bomber blows himself up in a night club in bali. he watches without action as a quadriplegic takes his own life due to the inability to live a full life.

but all of this is okay. this god is ominpotent and omnisicient, it's okay because we are simply peons to this sadomasochist, and he is too great for us to understand. and after 500,000 years of human beings existence, he finally sends his son to eternally save us all. and weren't you lucky if you died before him, because you just received automatic inclusion into heaven. so where does god send his son? to china, where comprehensive language and historical records exist? no, he sends him to the desert in the middle east where all of the world's religions seem to start, where literature is poor and the records poorer.

Garygaz

HSC

and on top of this, he mocks us. to give his followers miracles to help and reward their faith, he does so only in ways that can be explained by medical phenomina and science alike, that have happened before and will happen again. no, he does not perform a true, unquestionable miracle like growing the leg of a amputee back or levitating a crashing plane to a safe landing, he spites us with questionable and unmiraculous miracles.

Freddici

HSC

Faith/Religion is used to explain the stuff that normal thinking (science) cannot explain. Look at Zeus.

noworriez1

HSC
N/A

and on top of this, he mocks us. to give his followers miracles to help and reward their faith, he does so only in ways that can be explained by medical phenomina and science alike, that have happened before and will happen again. no, he does not perform a true, unquestionable miracle like growing the leg of a amputee back or levitating a crashing plane to a safe landing, he spites us with questionable and unmiraculous miracles.
ur post left me confused at the end as to whether u were mocking the notion of an omniscient and omnipotent god or supporting the free-will rationale that i proposed..

either way, i wont pounce on ur belief because u took the time to explain urself and prove a solid reasoning for ur decision

that and im too tired to type massive walls of text anymore

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

ur post left me confused at the end as to whether u were mocking the notion of an omniscient and omnipotent god or supporting the free-will rationale that i proposed..

either way, i wont pounce on ur belief because u took the time to explain urself and prove a solid reasoning for ur decision

that and im too tired to type massive walls of text anymore
A conversation between the lord and Adam.

The Creator: Now that you had disobeyed me by eating from the Tree of Conscience you are banished from the Garden of Eden and will experience death when the time I feel is right for you.

Adam: Pardon me, Sir. But how was I supposed to know that eating from The Tree was wrong in order to refrain from doing so before obtaining the knowledge of good and evil, which could only be achieved from eating from The Tree?

The Creator: Silence! You have no authority to question my will and wisdom.

Adam: Please Sir, would you not show me some mercy?

The Creator: I could have killed you immediately after you ate from The Tree. But I chose not to until you have gone through years of hardship and agony. Am I not merciful enough?

Adam: Will you not forgive me, Sir?

The Creator: I will forgive you by crucifying my only Son.

Adam: Great! Err... What does the term "crucify" mean?

The Creator: It's a verb. It means "put someone to death by nailing or binding them to a cross".

Adam: Gosh! Why would you kill your son in order to forgive me?

The Creator: So that you would feel guiltier for what you have done to my beloved Tree.

Adam: Err... fine. If that's the only way I can be saved by you and from you, so be it. I am waiting.

The Creator: Good. I'll do it in a few thousand years' time.

Adam: But why, Sir?

The Creator: Because the cross is yet to be invented, you fool.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad

as i have previously mentioned, why would a 'god' make human life? why would an infinitely powerful entity make small peons, who of which he knew, due to his incredible intellect, exactly what they would do and when they would do it. if you are to assume that a god gave us 'free will', the common excuse that many believers make for everything that goes wrong in this world, you must postulate that when this infinitely powerful god gave it to us, he must of immediately have known of the consequences. people were destined to be burned alive, maimed as children, to start up thousands of religions practically praising false prophets, lives full of disease, famine, war, torture, inequality, injustice and death. but apparently, this god enjoys his creations, similarly to how we enjoy watching our pets, if they are good we will reward them, if they are not, not so lucky. but do we watch as our pet squirms in pain from breaking its leg? do we watch as another pet attacks our pet? no, we do not. the very idea of evil is a joke. to assume god created everything is to assume he created evil. free will is to freeness to commit evil. this god watches indifferently as children infected with aids suffer, their stomachs swelling, their body degrading. this god watches neutrally as a suicide bomber blows himself up in a night club in bali. he watches without action as a quadriplegic takes his own life due to the inability to live a full life.
The world isn’t black and white or right and wrong, there is a degree of multidimensionality to everything.

I do not know why God created humanity. I will gladly state I have no idea.

However, in regards to evil, suffering, pain and death, like I said before, this is one of the best arguments for the non-existence of God. However, it is still bad.

Like I said,

"If Christianity could not account for the existence of evil and suffering, then this would be good criticism of the the Christian faith. The Bible is very clear on the origin of evil, suffering and sin, its nature, its effects, how God feels about it, what God does about it, what God will do about it. In fact, there is even a Christian doctrine and philosophy that deals only with sin (called Hamartiology, if your interested)"
The answers to disease, poverty and suffering are our problem, here on earth. Here on earth, Gods work, must truly be our own. The Christian faith expresses this in its teachings.

but all of this is okay. this god is ominpotent and omnisicient, it's okay because we are simply peons to this sadomasochist, and he is too great for us to understand. and after 500,000 years of human beings existence, he finally sends his son to eternally save us all. and weren't you lucky if you died before him, because you just received automatic inclusion into heaven. so where does god send his son? to china, where comprehensive language and historical records exist? no, he sends him to the desert in the middle east where all of the world's religions seem to start, where literature is poor and the records poorer
Christianity and all religions for that matter, are man made. I don't believe every word of the Bible, because it was composed thousands of years ago (especially the old testament), copied hundreds of thousands of times, by tens of thousands of monks. Many things have been lost in translation, but I, like most Christians, know the world wasn't created in 7 days, I know evolution is real and the biblical creation story is not, but was it meant to be taken literally? 5000 years ago when this story of Genesis was written, no one really had an education, did they? So perhaps this was a way of explaining their existence.

I believe God knows no religion, because God is perfect, and religion is man made. The Greeks made up a religion, so did the Hindus, the Egyptians etc. But that does not mean they made up God.

You see there is no distinction between 'Zeus' or 'Amun" or "Krishna" or "Allah" or "God". These Gods were created by societies and humans who can't comprehend a transient God, so they create religion as a means of comprehending God, and achieving spiritual salvation.

Last edited:

K4M1N3

HSC
^ essentially you don't have to be religious to achieve spiritual enlightenment.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
^ essentially you don't have to be religious to achieve spiritual enlightenment.
Never said you have to be. But it certainly is a means, and quite a popular means at that too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)