Do you guys think a single commerce degree will get me a job straight away? (1 Viewer)

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Would it be unwise to do a degree in IT when you are hopeless with computeres?

I didnt do any IT related subjects in high school

The reason why I am considering IT is because I am thinking about doing it as a double degree with my commerce degree.

I think that the IT degree will help me greatly in pursuing jobs and also will complement my marketing major (which I plan to do) greatly?

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Also
whats the difference between IS(information systems) and IT

Atlas

HSC
N/A
Re: Would it be unwise to do a degree in IT when you are hopeless with computeres?

I didnt do any IT related subjects in high school

The reason why I am considering IT is because I am thinking about doing it as a double degree with my commerce degree.

I think that the IT degree will help me greatly in pursuing jobs and also will complement my marketing major (which I plan to do) greatly?

Suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Also
whats the difference between IS(information systems) and IT
There are other combinations which will fit well with marketing, namely media - which you can do with a B Arts, not sure how you would fare in an IT degree if you weren't interested in the area though.

twistedrebel

HSC
Re: Would it be unwise to do a degree in IT when you are hopeless with computeres?

IS aint really an IT degree. Comp sci/seng is, it will come down to motivation if you are motivated you ll succeed in getting past it, but if you arent your fail.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Best uni for bachelor of information technology

Usd

unsw

uts

umaq

anu

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Re: Best uni for bachelor of information technology

Usd

unsw

uts

umaq

anu
The only way you're going to get an accurate result, is if someone actually went to all those universities and actually evaluated each one.

sghguos

HSC
N/A
what do you guys think about B comm/ B IT ???

My main focus is on commerce majoring in marketing

I thought IT degree will help me complement my marketing degree

I am really bad with computers

What do you guys think of the degree overall

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC

How 'hopeless' are you? You don't need to know how to code before coming to uni, but you definitely need to be comfortable with using one - I'd suggest installing Linux as a test: if you can manage that alright, you probably have enough computing skills to pass, although whether you have the right mind for programming is a different question.

IS and IT are quite different - you may want IS given your Commerce focus.

HSC
N/A

Most universities teach Computing degrees from scratch, so you don't need experience. And remember, experience with using a computer won't have much to do with Software design.

Computing can be applied to all industries now (can you think of a single industry that doesn't use computing today?), so yes, it can be useful to combine with Marketing - but only do it if you are interested - doing it simply to increase your chances of a job might not be the best decision.

IS and IT/Computing: A quick (but probably over simplified) comparison would be that IS applies Software and Hardware to a business application, while Computing (especially Engineering) is more about designing and building Software and Hardware.

I hope that helps.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Re: Best uni for bachelor of information technology

ANU is awesome

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Honestly if you transfer courses do employers look down on you?

What im trying to ask is say if someone was doing B.comm at Macquarie and then transferred to a UNSW b.comm

When the person graduates will he be looked exactly the same as other candidates who have studied B.comm at UNSW from the very start???

Do employers know if you've transfered courses??

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Honestly if you transfer courses do employers look down on you?

Simple answer no.

The fact that you had to transfer is not an accurate depiction of the graduate which is seeking to be hired. If anything, it shows the desire to improve and get to where you wanted to go.

The big tip to getting employment is being pro-active, not studying in a well-regarded degree program from the off.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

They'll know from your academic transcript/transcripts.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

They'll know from your academic transcript/transcripts.
Transcript*. Once you've transferred, the results from the previous University you attended are not necessary anymore, since you may receive exemptions for the subjects you've already completed. One academic transcript is enough.

I don't believe employers will look down on you if you transfer from one University to another. I mean, who cares? To some respect, it's developing your "decision making" skills while being an adult. Many students switch from one career to another.

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A

you have to realize, some of the employers are not much older than yourself

there will be a thought that goes, "this guy couldnt make unsw, only made umaq" but the weighting would be pretty minimal, your uni marks/interview would be a make or break

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Do you guys think a single commerce degree will get me a job straight away?

For a while now I wanted to do a commerce degree at university. Commerce degree's are only 3 years in duration. I was wondering if I could get a job in the marketing industry straight away after my commerce degree, it seems like so many other people are doing double degrees commerce/eco commerce/law commerce/eng etc...

sghguos

HSC
N/A
Which University is best for marketing. UNSW, UMACQ, UTS

Out of these Univresity courses which is the best if I wanted to do marketing later.

Bachelor of Business (city) at UTS

Bachelor of Commerce UNSW

BaChelor of commerce UMACQ

Bachelor of commerce USYD

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
No variation of commerce (straight or combined) will guarantee a graduate job. It is more dependent on marks, extra-circular activities, interview and what-not.

delian

HSC
N/A
No variation of commerce (straight or combined) will guarantee a graduate job. It is more dependent on marks, extra-circular activities, interview and what-not.
Very true. Also depends a bit on the business cycle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)