Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (2 Viewers)

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Re: Called up Board of Studies regarding 2 related texts

Basically, unless an extremely high percentage of the state used 2 related texts then at the marking centre they will adopt marking guidelines that specifically only instruct markers to mark one related text.

This has been the case in previous years (note the plural, YEARS, ie. it has happened more than once) where people wrote about three related texts instead of the two that the question asked.

This will more or less be the case whether you like it or not. That is, regardless of whether you ask me "Don't talk about things you clearly have no idea about".

And yes in reference to that wall post, someone actually quite high up in the BOS (ie. not those telephone operators) has said this.

Scinery

HSC

LISTEN EVERYONE

IF YOU CUT OUT YOUR SECOND RELATED, THAT MEANS THAT YOU HAD THE *OPPORTUNITY* TO DEMONSTRATE A DEEPER UNDERSTANDING OF YOUR FIRST RELATED.

IF you DON'T HAVE that deeper understanding THEN YOU GOT OWNED.

If you wrote TWO relateds, YOU WERE DISADVANTAGED because you did not have TIME to demonstrate your DEEP understanding of one of the related texts.

BOTH TEXTS WILL BE MARKED.

The system doesnt favour ANYONE. If you knew one of your related texts WELL, you will be rewarded marks for it. THATS ALL!

People who think they were "DISADVANTAGED" by the "one related" thing will NOT be rewarded marks for trying. People who think they were "DISADVANTAGED" by writing 2 related texts; you WERE, unless you wrote a greatly in depth response.

the only people who benefitted from this are those who wrote IN DEPTH about one or both of their related texts.
+1 lol you guys are idiots...every second person has already called the board and it has been revealed that both texts will be marked evenly, marks wont be deducted.

Top Secret

HSC
Just skimmed through, funny thread, sort of. :p

Firstly, to the few people you are having a fit because they wrote about more than one related: Go and have a cry. Technically you are angry because:
1) You did not bother to use 1sec (out of 7800) to read the ques, or
2) You believe there is some supernatural force that BOS has broken which was supposed to make them produce a question that students wanted/needed.

But towards the main issue, I might as well dump my opinion:
Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I believe the markers will read through your whole essay (don't believe bs about covering up second related etc), and give you a mark based on your prescribed, and your best related.

absorber

HSC
Just skimmed through, funny thread, sort of. :p

Firstly, to the few people you are having a fit because they wrote about more than one related: Go and have a cry. Technically you are angry because:
1) You did not bother to use 1sec (out of 7800) to read the ques, or
2) You believe there is some supernatural force that BOS has broken which was supposed to make them produce a question that students wanted/needed.

But towards the main issue, I might as well dump my opinion:
Don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I believe the markers will read through your whole essay (don't believe bs about covering up second related etc), and give you a mark based on your prescribed, and your best related.
It would be inequitable if they based it on best related, if there's any marker of any intelligence it'll be based on first

michellemma

Premium Member
HSC

Actually, I think a fair few would of done 2 because they simply didn't have enough information on 1... Luckily I had enough.
That was my problem. I saw that it said "ONE", but I wasn't going to waste my awesome analysis of my two related texts, nor was I going to grasp at straws and try to improvise new points on just the prescribed and one related. As long as there are no penalties (and it sounds like there aren't thankfully), then I think I will get better marks having written two than I would have got with only one.

PaulFrankkie

HSC

That was my problem. I saw that it said "ONE", but I wasn't going to waste my awesome analysis of my two related texts, nor was I going to grasp at straws and try to improvise new points on just the prescribed and one related. As long as there are no penalties (and it sounds like there aren't thankfully), then I think I will get better marks having written two than I would have got with only one.
The exact reason why there should be penalties. So as to not disadvantage the people who obeyed the question. You don't deserve to get better marks by blatently disregarding the question (misreading is one thing, but this is stupid), and I hope despite whatever BOS has said, they realise this and act accordingly. However, I don't think this will be the case.

*kate

HSC

Did it say and one related text or and at least one related text?

and i only just wrote one :spin:
I'm pretty sure it said at LEAST ONE? didn't it?

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC

I'm pretty sure it said at LEAST ONE? didn't it?
It said one.
I don't get why people are still so worked up about this. I don't think writing about two related texts is going to put anyone at an advantage or disadvantage. People just didn't read the question properly is all. Not reading questions properly is, funnily enough, a very common mistake.

Last edited:

Scinery

HSC

So as to not disadvantage the people who obeyed the question.
If you obeyed the question, you had the opportunity to write more. Hence you were advantaged.

If you had nothing more to write, then your essay was shit?

ethan.1991

HSC

regardless of whether or not you used 2 related texts or 50 related texts, you will be marked by the question given which stated ONE related text. It will be the first related text mentioned. They cant nor would they take into consideration a second or a third related text if you have used it because a) you have answered the quetion incorrectly and b) it would be unfair for those who answered the question correctly and used (as specified) one related text. Its as simple as that! who care who rang who, the markers on the day (Just like every other year) mark by the question. If you havent answered it properly well you will not be able to get full marks. But like i said they will mark the first related text mentioned (not the best one you have used) and they will just ignore completly any others.

youngminii

Banned
HSC

jm01 said:
unless an extremely high percentage of the state used 2 related texts
youngminii said:
Dude: The marking centre is going to have a briefing since lots of students wrote one related text and lots wrote two.
Can't believe this thread is still going lol

ethan.1991

HSC

No. They wont. If 100percent of the state answered the question incorrectly, they will be marked accordingly its as simple as that. No one is disadvanteged or at an advantage for using more then one text. They will mark the first text mentioned and ignore any others. Fullstop.

aceofspades1

HSC

so now we're rewarding incompetence in reading the question?

ethan.1991

HSC

Its as simple as this: Board of Studies marking = positive marking. You will not be deducted marks for using two related texts nor will u be marked on using a second or a third text. They will mark the first mentioned related text and that text only. If its the weaker one of the two that you might have used well bad luck you should have read the question.

oh-em-gee

HSC

Well, having read most, if not all of this thread... I'm about to repeat some things that have been previously mentioned. Firstly, I find it interesting that so many people were able to have such a discussion about this before Paper 2. For those of you who could because you were well-prepared enough, well done. Oh, and I'm about to start making generalisations, so if it doesn't apply to you, then ignore it. It would seem that the bulk of people who wrote two did so because they decided that they would have a better quality essay, or because they didn't read the question, or because they had only a memorised answer. I'm not saying everyone falls into one of these categories, but I think that's generally what happened. It should be simple to understand the students' reactions from both points of view. Clearly, the people who did one supplementary text would feel cheated because they had fulfilled the requirements of the question unlike those who wrote about two (or more), whatever the reason. The people who wrote two for some reason or another would like to be marked on all of the texts that they wrote, unless they feel confident about omitting all but one. Since English is not marked in a way that allows marks to be deducted for what you write, unless it contradicts or ignores the concept, we can be assured that no-one will be directly penalised for writing on two supplementary texts. However, as they are going to mark on the basis of quality, it is likely that there will be comparisons made based on depth, breadth and the quality and frequency of textual evidence. It is clear that if this is the case, the candidates who wrote about only one would have had the opportunity to write in more detail. This may not be the case for everyone. If there were two related texts, then you would do as well as someone who wrote outstandingly well about one if your essay was of a similar quality. So that's my opinion on the marking/whatever. A couple of other things I'd like to comment on: I'm sure that when people say that if you wrote about two texts you "couldn't" read, but rather "didn't" . The number of posts I've made has nothing to do with the validity of my opinion; whether or not I've read the thread does. It would be, in some cases, completely impossible to ignore supplementary texts beyond the first, especially when a response is well-integrated. The number of pages you write is not a standard against which you can analyse the marks. Some people write eight words a line, others write three, others write ten. Because this wasn't a short response, it adds up. I find that in exams I tend to write more per line, and more succinctly. So you can't compare in that manner. Finally, if someone's about to make the point that it's all over now, and that we should move on and stop stressing about it, I completely agree - this is my break from revising maths, maths extension, French, and English Extension, all of which I have next week. And I'm capped at the moment so the formatting has removed my line breaks. Yay!

Last edited:

mR sinister

HSC

^ +1

To all the people who wrote 2 related, Stop wasting your time on this thread, because you will NOT get marked down.

And to the people who wrote 1 related ALSO don't waste your time, since it will not affect you in any way.

So to everyone:
You got your HSC so start studying !

Temporary22

HSC

Only people pissed off here are people who did 1 and wern't prepared for 1 or those who did 2.

mmo

HSC
Hey guys

It seems like its getting heated in here;
But i wanted to share an experience with u guys
At one of the English teachers associations it was said that if an essay covers all aspect of the question then it will be able to gain full marks regardless of the number of related texts used. It was even mentioned that this is possible even without a single mention of the related text.

So it seems abit ambiguous
So I suggest that u decompose wat u've written and try to mark ur self

Gd luck guys

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A

youngminii said:
Dude: The marking centre is going to have a briefing since lots of students wrote one related text and lots wrote two.
Uhh, you do realise that about 1/3 of the marking centre's time each year is spent going through student responses and then making marking guidelines right? So they'd have the 'briefing' regardless of how students misread the question.

Also do note that the outcome of adopting marking guidelines in the past has been to as such to only mark the number of related texts as specified by the question. I don't think it's going to be any different this year, going by some reputable sources.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)