Do you lose marks for having 2 related texts? (1 Viewer)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Re: Called up Board of Studies regarding 2 related texts

I have to ask, if the questions asks specifically for ONE in capital letters, why on earth would you write about two? Comprehension in my opinion plays quite a large role in english so i think people who are unable to interpret one properly should be marked down.
While I understand weird things happen under pressure, I have to agree with this. If you can't read the question, I don't think you should be awarded the same consideration as somebody who did.

eriito

Elite Member
HSC

While I understand weird things happen under pressure, I have to agree with this. If you can't read the question, I don't think you should be awarded the same consideration as somebody who did.
FARK i shoulve just wrote about 2 related. i was running out of things to talk about and so i think i got a bit repetitive lol

NewiJapper

HSC

If so many students in the canditature wrote two related texts, when they are marking i think it could be fair for the marker to read the information about the two related texts and determine which one is the stronger arguement and just mark according to the better usage of the better related text *hope that made sense haha*Kinda like how they take your best 10 units?

iol

HSC

If so many students in the canditature wrote two related texts, when they are marking i think it could be fair for the marker to read the information about the two related texts and determine which one is the stronger arguement and just mark according to the better usage of the better related text *hope that made sense haha*Kinda like how they take your best 10 units?
I don't think they should, that's like writing two answers when they only ask for one, and then having them look at both and choose the one which is more correct. They certainly wouldn't do that in Maths so I can't see why they'd do that in English. They should only be marking the first additional text imo, that's how it works in Maths as well.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC

Copied and pasted from the other thread since that's just ridiculously long and nobody probably reads it anymore. This topic still seems to be relevant as the other thread somehow got 20+ pages.

Okay I just called up the Board of Studies (unhelpful son of a bitches)
To be honest, the guy was pretty patient since I kept asking virtually the same question over and over.
This is how it went:
Me: So how is section 3 going to be marked for the people that wrote 2 related texts?
Dude: The marking centre will be briefed on the situation and the papers will be marked accordingly.
Me: ..What? So what does that actually mean?
Dude: Well this matter is up to the marking centre, but what I can say is that you won't be directly penalised for using 2 related texts (goes on to explain positive marking). The responses will be marked according to their quality.
Me: Okay so people that used 2 won't be penalised, but are they still going to be marked normally? (Do you see what I mean by me asking the same question over and over)
Dude: The marking centre is going to have a briefing since lots of students wrote one related text and lots wrote two. Then depending on the quality of the response, they will mark the responses accordingly.
Me: ..Wait so if it's all the same marking as always, isn't that unfair for people that wrote one related?
Dude: Did you write two or one?
Me: One.
Dude: Okay, in that case your response will be much more in depth then people with one related text and that will be taken into consideration when being marked.
Me: Riiiiight..
Dude: Would you like to speak to someone else?
Me: Nokthxbai

TL;DR they're going to have a 'formal briefing' with the markers as to how to handle the situation (we don't know what's going to be said at the briefing). Both related texts will be read and taken into consideration. Since the question only requires one related text, generally speaking people that used one will have better quality/greater in-depth responses (due to the amount you can write in 40 minutes) and hence, will be marked higher than people that wrote about two (because you're giving less quality and unnecessary quantity). So if you wrote two but you wrote really damn good then it will get 15/15, it's just harder because people that wrote one have more analysis on each text.

TL;DR you won't be penalised directly, only in that your responses may be weaker in quality than people that wrote one related text

TL;DR relax
gg shoulda wrote 2 .

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A

They will ignore the 2nd related text. This has been the case in the past.

Duffman0

Kick ass, chew bubblegum.
HSC

THIS IS

UNFAIR

IF YOU CANT READ THE FRIGGIN QUESTION YOU SHOULD NOT BE ENTITLED TO THE POSSIBILITY BETTER MARKS

"POSITIVE MARKING"

THIS IS A FLAPPING DISGRACE, A FLAMING PILE OF BULLTURDS.

tl;dr if you can't read its your own fucking fault stop whinging, the people who can read should not be disadvantaged because of "consideration" for the people who "prepared" beforehand and in a moment of arrogance declined to read the question properly.

flap off.
Hey you, guy - You'd best unfuck yourself and calm down. You're acting way to agressively about this damn thing - and perhaps you'd do well to "stop whinging". Your own advice is often the best.

bayan92

HSC

Email from the BOS: When answering any examination question, it is important that students read it carefully to make sure they understand the requirements of the question. In Question 3 of the English Paper 1 examination, the question required students to concentrate on two texts – one prescribed text and one related text of their own choosing. This gave students the opportunity to concentrate deeply on these two texts to encourage a considered and detailed treatment of how the texts represent the interpretation of belonging. In considering students’ responses, markers award marks for demonstration of achievement in relation to the requirements of the question. While marks will not be deducted for responses that refer to more than one related text, students who wrote such responses may not have given themselves the opportunity to demonstrate in as much detail how the texts represent the interpretation of belonging. The Board will follow its usual practice of reviewing a wide range of responses before the actual marking process begins. Any unusual responses will be taken into account at that stage. Students who wrote about more than two texts may still have made valuable points in their responses. All students can be reassured that all responses to this section of the examination will be marked on their merits. Regards Garry Webb Assistant Director, Assessment and Reporting Office of the Board of Studies NSW p: (02) 9367 8093 f: (02) 9367 8474

Scinery

HSC

LISTEN EVERYONE

IF YOU CUT OUT YOUR SECOND RELATED, THAT MEANS THAT YOU HAD THE *OPPORTUNITY* TO DEMONSTRATE A DEEPER UNDERSTANDING OF YOUR FIRST RELATED.

IF you DON'T HAVE that deeper understanding THEN YOU GOT OWNED.

If you wrote TWO relateds, YOU WERE DISADVANTAGED because you did not have TIME to demonstrate your DEEP understanding of one of the related texts.

BOTH TEXTS WILL BE MARKED.

The system doesnt favour ANYONE. If you knew one of your related texts WELL, you will be rewarded marks for it. THATS ALL!

People who think they were "DISADVANTAGED" by the "one related" thing will NOT be rewarded marks for trying. People who think they were "DISADVANTAGED" by writing 2 related texts; you WERE, unless you wrote a greatly in depth response.

the only people who benefitted from this are those who wrote IN DEPTH about one or both of their related texts.

4theHSC

HSC

Im pretty sure most of the people wrote two because they misread the question..and not purposely wrote two because it said one..- -'' (why didn't they write 3 related texts then?, i wonder if anyone did actually...? haha) Well people that wrote one can easily bag out people that wrote two, good on ya. I wrote two haha. Oh well
yeah I wrote two and so did a lot of people in the state, they are marking based on QUALITY, so everyone stop complaining, they can tell how good of a student you are based on your first related text...

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

They will ignore the 2nd related text. This has been the case in the past.
You are absolutely incorrect.

absorber

HSC

Copied and pasted from the other thread since that's just ridiculously long and nobody probably reads it anymore. This topic still seems to be relevant as the other thread somehow got 20+ pages.

Okay I just called up the Board of Studies (unhelpful son of a bitches)
To be honest, the guy was pretty patient since I kept asking virtually the same question over and over.
This is how it went:
Me: So how is section 3 going to be marked for the people that wrote 2 related texts?
Dude: The marking centre will be briefed on the situation and the papers will be marked accordingly.
Me: ..What? So what does that actually mean?
Dude: Well this matter is up to the marking centre, but what I can say is that you won't be directly penalised for using 2 related texts (goes on to explain positive marking). The responses will be marked according to their quality.
Me: Okay so people that used 2 won't be penalised, but are they still going to be marked normally? (Do you see what I mean by me asking the same question over and over)
Dude: The marking centre is going to have a briefing since lots of students wrote one related text and lots wrote two. Then depending on the quality of the response, they will mark the responses accordingly.
Me: ..Wait so if it's all the same marking as always, isn't that unfair for people that wrote one related?
Dude: Did you write two or one?
Me: One.
Dude: Okay, in that case your response will be much more in depth then people with one related text and that will be taken into consideration when being marked.
Me: Riiiiight..
Dude: Would you like to speak to someone else?
Me: Nokthxbai

TL;DR they're going to have a 'formal briefing' with the markers as to how to handle the situation (we don't know what's going to be said at the briefing). Both related texts will be read and taken into consideration. Since the question only requires one related text, generally speaking people that used one will have better quality/greater in-depth responses (due to the amount you can write in 40 minutes) and hence, will be marked higher than people that wrote about two (because you're giving less quality and unnecessary quantity). So if you wrote two but you wrote really damn good then it will get 15/15, it's just harder because people that wrote one have more analysis on each text.

TL;DR you won't be penalised directly, only in that your responses may be weaker in quality than people that wrote one related text

TL;DR relax
I've been thinking about this, and I'm not saying you're lying, but I'm pretty sure second texts won't be marked...How would that guy know, they don't know until the markers have all met up

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A

Apparently one of the supervisors during James Ruse's exam read out the exam question for the Belonging essay including the "one related text" bit and I'm not joking.

Last edited:

boredusb

HSC

this is govt education for you the lunatics have taken over the asylum they should mark the first related text and ignore the 2nd one period no buts no ifs i am sick of our make students feel good for nothing education system

boredusb

HSC

Hold on- are you suggesting that because I used two related texts I can't read?

That's rubbish- for those you used only one related text, I can easily say the same thing about you- in fact, I think I might:

Can't you guys read? It says clearly, in the rubric above the question, "analyse, explain and assess the ways belonging is represented in a VARIETY of texts"

Now, I'm no expert on linguistics, but using only ONE text is NOT a variety! And even if it was, that would not stop a person from using more than one related text. In fact, it's basically the green light to use as many as you please.

The BOS do not mark based solely on the question- if they intended for us to write about only ONE related text, they would have put it in the rubric!

Bah!
actually, one elated text is a variety because if you add that one to your prescribed it becomes 2 1+1 =2, therefore variety

heli.copter

HSC

lol i love how youngmini just told everyone what board of studies, and everyone on the last NINE pages, have been complaining, on how it SHOULD be marked.

WHO

FUCKING

CARES

!

i mean its over. so is paper two. get fucking over it. its finished. cheer up and study for your other exams.

ffs

goodluck alll :)

ijaz101

Lord
HSC

People who did 2 essays:

You guys are complete douche-bags and deserve a zero 4 making such stupid mistakes as not reading the question which said clearly on white paper with black ink: One text. Making this mistake in the hsc is like cutting the red wire on a bomb when you were supposed to cut the blue wire... So u deserve to die!

What the hell were you thinking?

And... Its that minority of idiots that began this whole issue up and is making the majority of us smart people to worry...

This is the most ridiculous thing i'm reading... The whole possibility that you idiots might not lose marks is raising my blood pressure above the sealing... Im fuckin furious.

absorber

HSC

Honest question here, why did people write about 2 texts - was it blatant disregard, or a misreading of the question? I actually don't understand what you're complaining about...
I think it was a mixture of people who didn't read the question, looked halfway through or at end, and went into a state of self-denial and continued on as normal anyway. If they really had extra time there was nothing much to lose

katerebecca

HSC

This thread is making me go iinnsaaaane! Everyone grow up, stop being so petty. Its done. The markers will decide what is the best way to handle this...not you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)