Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
the difference bettween christian (protestant) and Catholic or orthodox beliefs are actually quite huge. Catholics believe in salvation by good works, protestants believe in salvation by grace ( it is by grace you have been saved through faith in christ jesus, this is not of yourselves it is a gift from God not by good works so that no one can boast. eph 2:6-7) Christians also see christ as the head of the church, catholics see the pope.

On another note there are many christians (protestants) that are infact scientists.
I have a book that just one of them wrote. I think that protestants are more open then catholics to Science.

I believe that catholicism does not empasise a relationship with God

Free thinking does NOT go against christian beliefs.

The protestant movement began due to corruption in the catholic Church

I think this sums up my views to the posts i have read

I have got this knowledge from experiencing both of the catholic and protestant faiths and i am now a protestant.

Last edited:

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
11kloseboy said:
I don't believe in god if it did exist i would be playing along side Rooney and Ronaldo at the Old Trafford. Ok if god did exist why is there people of different status's in the world?Not everyone is rich and famous.Some people are born deaf, some are born with special talents. If God did exist, everybody would be the same
It is humans fault there is this in the world we sinned and we made this happen.. we can not Blame God for our wrong doing

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Malfoy said:
I think it's because of my background... brought up as an essentially secular Jew, found I didn't believe in it and was agnostic for a long period, and came to Catholicism on my own... but because I came to it with well-defined libertarian beliefs, I had to reconcile the two, and I've kind of got a "well, I believe in the essential tenets, but I had beliefs about secular things beforehand and I'm not going to change them now just because I'm told to (e.g. on abortion, homosexuality), and I'm not going to try and convert anyone because of beliefs in pluralism/freedom/otherwise."

Some of my best friends thought I was atheist for a year or two before they finally worked out that I wasn't. I'm fairly laidback about it though.

Though in my experience there are some hardline Catholics, the people who tend to scare me the most are the very, very devoted evangelicals. And surprisingly, some atheists are almost as dogmatically anti-religion as religious people are fundamentalist, which worries me, because I always thought atheists tended to be free-thinking.
You are catholic Yet you have the most unbiblical beliefs how does that work.. i would really be examining the beliefs you have and figure out what God thinks is right. Like how can you believe in abortion when the bible says do not kill, and homosexuality when the bible says it is unnatural

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Iron said:
Oh, well, sure SORRY I DIDNT REALISE THAT THE POPE GAVE UP HIS DISCRETION TO DEFINE TRUTH
You are forgiven, my son.

emytaylor164 said:
You are catholic Yet you have the most unbiblical beliefs how does that work.. i would really be examining the beliefs you have and figure out what God thinks is right. Like how can you believe in abortion when the bible says do not kill, and homosexuality when the bible says it is unnatural
See, it's people like you that are wrong with the world.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Slidey said:
You are forgiven, my son.

See, it's people like you that are wrong with the world.
no i just consider that his two beliefs completely contradict each other. I think abortion, homosexuality, pre-marital sex, euthanasia, the death penalty are all wrong.
I Believe the bible is the word of God and so do catholics ( although i think there interpretations are a off) so how can you believe two things that are different

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
so works, then.
no FAITH and GRACE NOT GOOD WORKS
btw grace if you are unsure is Gods Riches At Christs Expense is an easy way to understand it

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
so how can you believe two things that are different
Read 1984.

Moreover, this is exactly why I was saying Protestants hinder free thought; to them everything has to be set in stone, there is only one correct answer, anybody who disagrees is unequivocally wrong. :rolleyes:

At least Catholicism encourages both interfaith and scientific dialogue.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
^ Watch out for all the narrow-minded atheists lurking on these boards since you've just called yourself a Catholic.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
TacoTerrorist said:
^ Watch out for all the narrow-minded atheists lurking on these boards since you've just called yourself a Catholic.
I am not a catholic if you were refering to me i am a protestant.
There are many Protestant Scientists.
I think you will find that catholics also believe the bible is the only correct thing all christians go.
I believe that the bible is correct.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Yes if it works out that the earth is 6000 years old due to the bible
then YES

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
TacoTerrorist said:
Okay I disagree but you're entitled to your own opinion.
I know thankyou for acknowledging that and not going off at me for it as some people do.

HSC
TBH I tend to at least somewhat agree with Sam Harris when he says if you're a bible literalist you've abandoned reason, if you're an atheist you've abandoned religion and if you're a liberal theist you've abandoned reason and religion - But tbh these are almost pointless concepts/arguments to me given, once again, that I don't accept your claimed beliefs are really held (that's what I think makes the double think so particularly easy).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)