Does God exist? (6 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Stevo.

no more talk
HSC
Here's a question for all us veterans of this thread. Why do we bother trying to explain such complex ideas to children who are without a doubt unable to comprehend such things?

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
The first video was at least semi-reasonable up until the point where he claims that the source of the energy of the universe had to be "incredibly intelligent." He provides almost nil justification for that claim. Also, I have my doubts about the accuracy of our intuitions regarding space-time when thinking about the origins of the universe.

U

Ubik

KFunk said:
The first video was at least semi-reasonable up until the point where he claims that the source of the energy of the universe had to be "incredibly intelligent."
He's right about it being odd for the conditions of the universe, and particularly earth being ideal for supporting life, but there are a good number of other explanations and theories to explain that, which don't require intelligence or god.

If there is an infinite number of universes, with the laws of physics randomised in each of them, eventually there will be one that supports life.

Due to the observers paradox, the fact of us existing in the universe automatically means we will assume it is odd and special for us to exist, or for life to exist at all, because we exist to observe it.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
All men need something greater than themselves to look up to and worship. They must be able to touch the divine here on earth.
AGREE OR UNAGREE?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Can't they just settle for the almighty dollar like the rest of us?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Money really only ever represents self-interest. Are you suggesting that men need to see the divine in the mirror?
I think a good many do, but I find that pretty hollow scarybunny

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah probably.
But I think that individuals are insufficient inspiration to do great things. I think our default setting is to devote our lives to accumulating as much personal power as possible, for its own end (power).
I find this empty. I think this God debate has been a bad excuse to claim that there is nothing greater than ourselves and our own interest.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
NEIN
OBJECTIVE
ABSOLUTE
EXTERNAL VALIDITY
DU KANNST MIR GERN DEN BUCKEL RUNTERRUTSCHEN UND MiT DER ZUNGE BREMSEN!

etc.
Can you at least admit that it's a shame, ill accept this, that it's a shame that there is no greater truth beyond the individual?
That we are poorer for this?
If so I will be satisifed with this Speer and not be forcesd to take the necessary actions

Last edited:

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Schroedinger said:
I ordered Breaking the Spell
Dan Dennett is pretty amazing, one of my favourites :eek:
Stevo. said:
Here's a question for all us veterans of this thread. Why do we bother trying to explain such complex ideas to children who are without a doubt unable to comprehend such things?
For the most part... people just don't explain to them 'such complex ideas' ?
politik said:
Of note, was his conversion was based on finding the bible to be historically verifiable, which is interesting.
Many religious texts have a good level of historicity, why does he choose christianity? I mean... How much have we learnt from the writings of the anicent egyptians, but surely we don't believe in Amon Ra?

It's pretty awesome that you're doing this Alan, engaging with different people etc. It'd be cool if you could at usyd who denies physicalism perhaps, if u want a particularly interesting argument.
Iron said:
All men need something greater than themselves to look up to and worship. They must be able to touch the divine here on earth.
An ideal world? A construct of 'goodness' that could be achieved? A belief in the 'human spirit'? I think we can have such beliefs without any sort of diety for sure...
Iron said:
I think this God debate has been a bad excuse to claim that there is nothing greater than ourselves and our own interest.
Well technically, you could say "I think this God debate has been a bad excuse to claim that there's nothing greater than collecting stamps", since it's true that many atheists have put forward the idea that there is no inate greater value in doing X over Y, they are all equal...
Iron said:
Can you at least admit that it's a shame, ill accept this, that it's a shame that there is no greater truth beyond the individual?
It is a shame and hopefully one which philosophy/neuroscience will get us that much closer to dealing with... though they do seem to form a bit of a strange loop (philosophy to justify our understanding of external observations, neuroscience to understand our internal workings).

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Wow, that cracker box shit is a terrible example of what constitutes a straw man argument. Also, statements which made me laugh:

"We deserve to die. That's what the bible teaches."

"I think that the bible is the most scientifically accurate book in the entire world."

"This is god saying 'this is dead serious and I will kill you if you get in the way of my purposes'. Praise god for being that serious about the salvation of the entire planet."

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
I was not calling you a bad person it is just that your beliefs contradict each other.
lol. Coming from a literal creationist Protestant that's truly some comedy gold.

How do you think computers work exactly, emytaylor? Because if you say electricity, you're one big fucking hypocrite. At least if you were to say divine intervention it'd be somewhat consistent with your stupid beliefs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)