Does God exist? (5 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Re: Proving Christianity

Matt1120 said:
.....everyone at some point in their life will probably ask God for help coz we need a higher source of power.
We do?

News to me.

jcurry

HSC

Matt1120 said:
Hate to say I told you say but I told u so...its starting to get crazy...last bit of opinion from me then I'm going 2 stop procrastinating. Though it is stupid to try and prove every aspect of christianity...Whats wrong with faith.....everyone at some point in their life will probably ask God for help coz we need a higher source of power. Christianity is not about fact...Its faith thats all...just thought I'd add that before you all start trying to kill each other.
Neway back to Extension History:angry:
been there, done that
did absolutely nothing for me
why not asks those around you for help instead?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A

Schroedinger said:
God's logic, as written in the Bible, every word of which is true. And we know every word is true because the Bible says that the Bible is true, and if you remember from earlier in this sentence every word of the Bible is true! Now, are you following me here, or are you some kind of mindless zealot?
Mindless zealot?

I believe in Gods word the Bible , yeah.
Maybe i am a mindless zealot. The term is not as derogatory (to me) as you may have thought.
To me , it is illogical to be a Christian and think you can prove the existance or doctrines of God to be true. I have faith that God's truth is in the bible.

Faith can be seen as mindless because it is believing without seeing/understanding.
But there is plenty of mindlessness in believing only what you see too. Because there is so much we dont see/understand.
I cant argue my point im not clever enough. But i have faith yes.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
No, it was not proven at the time of publication, any more than the prophecies of Jesus' birth/death were.
Yes it was... Do you deny that the christian bible was mocked at the time of publication?

*TRUE* said:
You only want me to be right about God if he is a God that will fit into your own logic and reasoning. My God will never do that. He is too BIG.
K fine then whatever, I don't actually believe you though since you're bothering to engage me with rational thoughts...
*TRUE* said:
You are willfully forgetting that God demands your faith not your reasoning.
You are willfully forgetting this:
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart , and lean not on your own understanding"
Actually I can't be willfully forgetting that considering I never really knew that to be true.. I've heard what appear to be different views from various christian theological sources but maybe it can all be reconciled somehow.

All I know is that God is demanding something very silly, if we go trusting in things 'with all our heart' then how are we to know if it's right? Our hearts lead us astray rather more easily than good reasoning ever could... Surely you know that people of other religions believe they're following their heart, right?

*TRUE* said:
Enteebee , you will never stop picking at the flaws in my grammer , logic , reasoning....and you will always find alot of that
I'm just doing what I do for every other question in my life, if there is some inate 'listen to your heart' part of a human which leads them to the bible I am definately open to it, but it just doesn't seem to be there in me.

*TRUE* said:
I dont know where you are going to find a God that fits your idea of what a God should be
I have no idea exactly what a god SHOULD be... I'd be very happy with one that allows us an afterlife etc, but tbh I just want to know the truth as best I can.

*TRUE* said:
I think the way you are going you will never find him - i am fairly confident that you will come to the conclusion that you are your own god.
Well that's very sad if there is a God and I'll never find him, because I honestly do with all my heart, more than anything in the world... truly want you to be right. I don't think I'm my own God at all, my effect is very minimal.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
*TRUE* please stop posting Hovind's shit. It's driving me mad.

You have no understandings about the real world and how the world is functioning. You are wasting your life, and your pathetic threats are laughable and remind me of a child having a tantrum.

You go on believing your nonsense and I'll go on enjoying my life and trying to better my understanding of the world.

If I'm wrong, well, I'll see you in hell.
Schroedinger:
I have as much right as you to post my thoughts here.
You have no way of knowing whether i have understandings of the real world or not.
I am not wasting my life , im living it! Not to mention loving it.
I have not threatened you , i posted a bible verse i read. I did not write the verse, and i am not God.
I am not throwing tantrums i have listened to you even when you have called me retarded etc. If anyone has been throwing a tantrum it is you not I. You say I have driven you mad. I have not been driven mad.
You have no way of knowing whether what i believe is nonsense or not.
I will continue believing as i do.
Enjoy your life.
Im sorry i make you so miserable , i was not trying to.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Hi Enteebee:)
Im really sorry Ill have to reply to your post a bit later....
I have this massive essay to finish up tonight.
Talk to you then.
:)

X

xeuyrawp

Right guys, let's have another intelligent discussion about theism and religion! I reckon this time, we can definitely bring new and fresh ideas to the forum! :D:D:D

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
*TRUE* said:
I am a little , well , for the want of a better word - worried. I just read :
"First off , you need to know that in the last days,mockers are going to have a heyday. Reducing everything to their puny level, they'll mock...."
The passage goes on much further, it talks of how people will "willfully forget" that God created the world with His word , and that it was partially destroyed by a worldwide flood, also by his word - and that by "forgetting" this, they will no longer have respect for his word and live by their own fleshly desires.
We don't simply mock in this thread, *true*. Certainly, such statements are made in facetious moments and I apologise if we offend. However, many arguments have been put forward in this thread (look through my back-catalogue if you wish) which create problems for biblical literalists (I am not saying that they are insoluble problems; but merely that they are reasonable enough to warrant serious rebuttal). I also feel I should point out that you run into problems when you cite the word of the bible in order to argue for biblical validity or to combat anti-biblical arguments/claims --> because most such attempts are question begging. When seeking validation/falsification for some set of claims 'X' (where 'X' may be the set of claims in the bible, or the claims of newtonian physics) it makes little sense to start an inquiry by assuming their truth/falsity. To do so is to fall victim to a fallacious prejudice.

X

xeuyrawp

Stevo. said:
All praise the Sun God! Amon Ra!
Praise to the Sun Disc as he rises in the morning!
Praise to the Divine Beetle (fucking lols, amirite?) as he travels over the sky!
Praise doubly to Re as he descends to battle the fallen one!

etc

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
no i just consider that his two beliefs completely contradict each other. I think abortion, homosexuality, pre-marital sex, euthanasia, the death penalty are all wrong.
I Believe the bible is the word of God and so do catholics ( although i think there interpretations are a off) so how can you believe two things that are different
Moreover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp2eOHOlBxE

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
3unitz said:
*TRUE* we are not willing to discuss against verses (prophecies / commandments etc) in the bible. this thread is not the place for bible verse regurgitation, especially from the message (is that even a real bible lol?) and you wont get much of a serious response if you do so. alot of us have read the bible, and understand your religion and beliefs.

we are more interested in discussing:

1. what evidence is there for gods existence
2. why you believe what you do

if you want a productive discussion stick to these (with no bible verses).

i have some questions for you:

1. why do you believe a god exists?
2. why do you believe the bibles truth over any other religious text?

for question 1, if you say something along the lines of "because the world is so complex, and couldnt be a result of chance or come from nothing at all". we can talk about what i, and many others believe in this thread (evolution). if you ever asked yourself:

why is science so right about the world, yet so wrong with evolution?
what evidence is there for evolution?
isnt evolution just a "theory"?

these are some points we can talk about. until you understand our perspective on things i dont think you will get far with bible quotes.
The Bible says it, I believe it, that settles it.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
*Science says it, I believe it, that settles it.
Fresh Worshiping

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
Those aren't your beliefs? You claimed a flood was soon coming, based on the bible.

:grinshak::grinshak:
LOL.
Not a flood. According to the bible judgement , but not by water. By fire.
They are my beliefs :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)