• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (6 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
LOL.
Not a flood. According to the bible judgement , but not by water. By fire.
They are my beliefs :)
True, how do you differentiate yourself from muslims/jews? From where I stand there are many different faiths and while their texts/customs are quite different the rationale of the believers is always so damn similar.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
Man, I'm gonna base my irrational beliefs on Discworld, that way I can just ask Pratchett if I have any problems.
Good luck with that....

phatchance

HSC
Kieran, shouldn't you be off saving lives or something?

My argument for the potential existence of God, or that is, a universal consciousness is pretty simple really, on a subatomic level consciousness collapses probability waves, that is to say, fundamentally, a thing is not certain until it observed, nothing cannot observe nothing, therefore at some point there had to be an initial observation, this is what we refer to as God.

The idea of a universal consciousness CANNOT be proven or disproved, I think those throwing stones at others for harbouring antiquated religious beliefs should look at the revaluations and revision of what was once 'contemporary' scientific belief, there is no more permanency or solidarity in modern scientific thought, than we can presume for people pointing wands at the sky to call down the sun god, and, on a basic level, you can thank religion for society.

Something I found funny here Kieran was that you criticised someone in this thread for attempting to utilise religion to prove religion, aren't you attempting to use science to prove science? What if the laws and governing elements of science are temporal and dependent on a gracious god allowing them to be constants?

I'm not defending the fundamentalists, but, I believe there is a lot to be gained from the bible or from other religious texts. Besides, if one chooses to look a little outside the square there's a lot of potentiality for extremely complex metaphor in the bible, for instance, seven days... somebody please tell me how long a day is when there's not yet light? One would presume that might be a really long time.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
phatchance said:
Kieran, shouldn't you be off saving lives or something?

My argument for the potential existence of God, or that is, a universal consciousness is pretty simple really, on a subatomic level consciousness collapses probability waves, that is to say, fundamentally, a thing is not certain until it observed, nothing cannot observe nothing, therefore at some point there had to be an initial observation, this is what we refer to as God.

The idea of a universal consciousness CANNOT be proven or disproved, I think those throwing stones at others for harbouring antiquated religious beliefs should look at the revaluations and revision of what was once 'contemporary' scientific belief, there is no more permanency or solidarity in modern scientific thought, than we can presume for people pointing wands at the sky to call down the sun god, and, on a basic level, you can thank religion for society.

Something I found funny here Kieran was that you criticised someone in this thread for attempting to utilise religion to prove religion, aren't you attempting to use science to prove science? What if the laws and governing elements of science are temporal and dependent on a gracious god allowing them to be constants?

I'm not defending the fundamentalists, but, I believe there is a lot to be gained from the bible or from other religious texts. Besides, if one chooses to look a little outside the square there's a lot of potentiality for extremely complex metaphor in the bible, for instance, seven days... somebody please tell me how long a day is when there's not yet light? One would presume that might be a really long time.
Who is Keiran?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Hi :)
My beliefs
In terms of your reasons for belief, do you think they have any lesser a reason to believe in their god than you do in yours? Do you think if they somehow were to 'truly' search their heart they would find jesus and are just so far incapable of doing so?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
Well you make the same distinction when choosing to be a Christian over a Muslim or any other religion.

You logically deny the truths of other religions and use the same processes we use to deny your own beliefs. Doublethink is wonderful.
No i dont use logic at all. Which is why people like you despise me:)
Its all about Faith.
there is a difference of beliefs between Christians & Muslims etc.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
In terms of your reasons for belief, do you think they have any lesser a reason to believe in their god than you do in yours? Do you think if they somehow were to 'truly' search their heart they would find jesus and are just so far incapable of doing so?
Yes I do think if they sought God they would find him.
I think everyone believes in something , even if its.... nothing.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
*TRUE* said:
Its all about Faith.
there is a difference of beliefs between Christians & Muslims etc.
I agree i believe. there are major differences between the different religions and christianity is the most different.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
True, how do you differentiate yourself from muslims/jews? From where I stand there are many different faiths and while their texts/customs are quite different the rationale of the believers is always so damn similar.
What? I think your post changed. There is one difference that is glaringly obvious to me. Jesus.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Christianity is different in one may thing that is that Christians believe that you can not earn your salvation and that it is a gift.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
Based on the exact same claim to revelation that has no distinction except for the culture you happened to be born in. What I'm saying is that your own personal revelation is based on culture, not on the power of the revelation.

You would be an equally committed fundamentalist muslim were you born in the middle east. Your beliefs are interchangeable and thus are not in any way, shape, or form, divine.
Schroedinger I see where you are coming from.
But my beliefs are not interchangeable. You have no way of knowing... not that i disrespect you , but my faith is in God and not you. Or my own understanding.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
*TRUE* said:
I think you need a name change. I think *FALSE* would be suitable.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Also... you do know why a day is called a day, right? It's the period of time it takes the earth to rotate... it's not based on sunrise or sunset otherwise you would have very long days in the poles.
NO THERE ARE 4 SIMULTANEOUS DAYS IN ONE EARTH ROTATION

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
I think you'll have a hard time proving that a messiah born of a virgin who claimed to be the son of god and healed the sick/etc is in any way a new concept when Jesus came around.
She doesnt need to prove that. Its true. She is not God's PR person here to make God seem more believable to you....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 6)