Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Can you even tell me what you believe in then when you say "I believe in god" ? Obviously all definitions have their problems, but we can work the best we can with what we're given, as we do for any other question. Anyway the point of my questioning was just to show that... well, your god isn't more believable than that of mainstream Christianity at all.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Can you even tell me what you believe in then when you say "I believe in god" ? Obviously all definitions have their problems, but we can work the best we can with what we're given, as we do for any other question. Anyway the point of my questioning was just to show that... well, your god isn't more believable than that of mainstream Christianity at all.
what makes mainstream christianity unbelievable?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Well many things, but it was *TRUE*'s claim, not mine. I guess my reasons are something along these lines:

If I were to really accept belief in a God, I would then most likely need to accept belief in any other supernatural entity and at the very least all knowledge I hold true (and I can't see a practical way to hold as anything other than true) would be called into great question, if there's a God then who's to say that 1+1=2, maybe God's just magically tricking me?

I believe that one of the truest things we can know is that God does not exist, whatever you think you know can likely be wrong if such a creature were to exist.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Well many things, but it was *TRUE*'s claim, not mine. I guess my reasons are something along these lines:

If I were to really accept belief in a God, I would then most likely need to accept belief in any other supernatural entity and at the very least all knowledge I hold true (and I can't see a practical way to hold as anything other than true) would be called into great question, if there's a God then who's to say that 1+1=2, maybe God's just magically tricking me?

I believe that one of the truest things we can know is that God does not exist, whatever you think you know can likely be wrong if such a creature were to exist.
so what if you are wrong?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
Maybe a bit random and maybe you've already said but cbf searching the whole thread, so -

What were your beliefs before you became religious? How would you have explained the universe? And what made you so certain all of a sudden that these beliefs were undeniably wrong?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
The times i cannot trust God is when i lean on my own understanding in regards to his character , what he should/shouldnt do etc.
I guess this is when i assume that he must operate in a way which i find acceptable.
The God of the bible warns me not to do this.
Um... i have no idea why i quoted Enteebee there...oops

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
*TRUE* said:
The only time i cannot trust God is when i lean on my own understanding in regards to his character , what he should/shouldnt do etc.
I guess this is when i assume that he must operate in a way which i find acceptable.
The God of the bible warns me not to do this.
Um... i have no idea why i quoted Enteebee there...oops
Well that isn't not trusting God, that's not trusting yourself.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
katie tully said:
Well that isn't not trusting God, that's not trusting yourself.
Katie , i DONT trust myself one hundred percent at all.
I like to think i am a good person , but the reality is , there are alot of things that i do not have the wisdom , experience , foresight , even knowledge to handle. I just dont.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Maybe a bit random and maybe you've already said but cbf searching the whole thread, so -

What were your beliefs before you became religious? How would you have explained the universe? And what made you so certain all of a sudden that these beliefs were undeniably wrong?
I was only about 12 when i became a christian, I always thought i was a christian and then i suddenly found out i wasnt i sorta had a mixture of catholic beliefs and just things like everyone goes to heaven except bad people like murderers, then God opened my eyes and i noticed i was wrong then i decided to become a christian.

I think that knowing that i am saved and that i am going to heaven and seeing the changes i have made in my life is what has made me know i am undeniably right.

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
Hey are your parents christian?
My parents?
Oh , haha! The old , you've been raised a Christian , you havent been free to make the decision wholly line :)
Its ok though ill answer :)
My mother was not a Christian , but she is now. My father - lol. No.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
Holy shit you've finally seen the light! Wow. Freudian slip if there ever was one.
opps, i was trying to listen to something when i was typing and had other things go through my mind and typed the wrong thing fixed it now.

Oh and sorry to get your hopes up.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
But you are... quite easily wrong, just because a person convinces themself something is the case doesn't make it true.
i didnt convince myself, i heard and i believed.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Schroedinger said:
But you are... quite easily wrong, just because a person convinces themself something is the case doesn't make it true.
Are you speaking to Diana or emy?
If you refer to me: I agree.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
Well it basically means that I can know god does not exist better than I know I live in Australia... I cannot truly accept that I do not live in Australia any better than an insane man who thinks he's santa claus can accept he is not, it is my reality as far as I understand it.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Well it basically means that I can know god does not exist better than I know I live in Australia... I cannot truly accept that I do not live in Australia any better than an insane man who thinks he's santa claus can accept he is not, it is my reality as far as I understand it.
but what if you die, then you are standing before God giving an account of your life, what then.
At least if i am wrong, (which i dont believe i am ) then I have nothing to lose.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
but what if you die, then you are standing before God giving an account of your life, what then.
At least if i am wrong, (which i dont believe i am ) then I have nothing to lose.
Oh lol you're going that angle?
In that case, I'll refer to dawkins' line of argument from dans' video...

What if you're wrong and the real god rewards atheists with paradise and burns christians for all eternity?

blakegman

HSC
N/A
emytaylor164 said:
Except the freedom to live your life governed by your own rules and not your gods ?

blakegman

HSC
N/A
I would like to think if there was a god it shouldn't matter if you believed in his religion or not, but that you were a decent human being.

Charizard

HSC
blakegman said:
I would like to think if there was a god it shouldn't matter if you believed in his religion or not, but that you were a decent human being.
I think a lot of atheists think in a similar way when they think about the rules to get into heaven

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)