do you believe in god?

• Total voters

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Riet said:
Like I said, that's the Arrow paradox.
V = dx/dt (speed is the change in its position over the change in time)
But as dt approaches zero the change in distance = approaches zero too. (over smaller and smaller time frames, the change in position is less)
so then, when the timeframe becomes infinitely small (one instant), the arrow doesn't move. If the arrow isn't moving at anyone instant, how can it move overall?
Whoaaaa. I'll read up on that....:cool:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Riet said:
Like I said, that's the Arrow paradox.
V = dx/dt (speed is the change in its position over the change in time)
But as dt approaches zero the change in distance = approaches zero too. (over smaller and smaller time frames, the change in position is less)
so then, when the timeframe becomes infinitely small (one instant), the arrow doesn't move. If the arrow isn't moving at anyone instant, how can it move overall?
Another of Zeno's paradoxes (again solvable with calculus) which I found interesting is the Tortoise and Achilles.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Frozen things are capable of beginning things? So you mean you think there was something before, maybe time before...and then it was frozen?
So somehow something had the ability to know how to begin 'time'.
If a God can create time , which seems to me the most incredibly difficult and foreign concept (beginning , creating time), then i would almost assume he would be capable of anything ?
No what I mean is... at time=0 things are essentially frozen i.e. they are only capable of one state (on or off, they can't be on and then go off).

I'm smart enough not to believe something because the 'smartest man in the world' believes it. I don't believe he is the world's most knowledgeable man, I do believe he's good at IQ tests. http://www.eskimo.com/~miyaguch/grady/realworld.html

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Slidey said:
Another of Zeno's paradoxes (again solvable with calculus) which I found interesting is the Tortoise and Achilles.
arrow problem isn't solvable with calculus, its hectic.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
beentherdunthat said:
lol and the bitter bitch

its suni not sufi
It's sad because most other Muslims I've met are also as uninformed about their own religion as you.

Look up 'Sufism'.

Also, it's generally transliterated 'Sunni' not 'Suni'.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Wouldn't it be convergent?
"The problem with the calculus solution is that calculus can only describe motion as the limit is approached, based on the external observation that the arrow plainly moves forward. Zeno's paradox however implies that if Zeno's method is followed to its logical extent, concepts such as velocity lose all meaning and there is no causal agent that is not similarly affected by the paradox that could enable the arrow to progress."

The limit doesn't exist, mathematically IIRC.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Slidey said:
Yes it is. Sum of an infinite series.
Nah, because to take the limit of velocity as dt approaches zero you assume that it was moving at the point before dt was that small.

Edit: I don't know tbh, just knew that the Arrow one wasn't quite as simple as the others.

Garygaz

HSC
Schroedinger said:
Cool, and I'm sure there are credulous idiots who are atheists. This doesn't prove anything, all it proves is that you're grasping at straws time and time again.
I'm not grasping to anything as I have nothing to grasp to. I'm just saying science is an expression of mathimatical logic, is something which he has a lot of, and his views are pretty incredible. I'm agnostic, goddam, I believe that it is impossible to know either way, this thread isn't going to change this.

By the way, I think there is a major point a lot of people are missing.

EVEN though a lot of things in science are proved through maths and physics, they are still THEORIES, unproved and will never be proved. One thing is based upon one unproven theory which is derived from another unproved theory. Belief in maths and physics is a faith in itself.

Believers cannot prove God. Atheists cannot prove their own theories.

Fck I should be studying for SOR tomorrow, I'm off, feel free to flame me in my absence.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Belief in maths and physics is a faith in itself.

Believers cannot prove God. Atheists cannot prove their own theories.
You are correct in a sense I have 'faith' in the scientific method etc but it's almost like saying I have faith in that reality as best I can perceive it is actually the way it is, which is a pointless point... Even if reality is somehow different, I have no way of knowing, it is as real to me as it could ever be.

If you are an agnostic you are an atheist, you don't believe in god.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Riet said:
"The problem with the calculus solution is that calculus can only describe motion as the limit is approached, based on the external observation that the arrow plainly moves forward. Zeno's paradox however implies that if Zeno's method is followed to its logical extent, concepts such as velocity lose all meaning and there is no causal agent that is not similarly affected by the paradox that could enable the arrow to progress."

The limit doesn't exist, mathematically IIRC.
Suppose the universe isn't made up of a set of infinitely divisible points.

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
wow the "JUST A THEORY!" theist meme, right on schedule. cue members explaining the scientific method

how many times in the history of this thread has this happened

beentherdunthat

HSC
Schroedinger said:
You criticised me for something that you are wholly ignorant of (like many things, such as reality, loal djinns) and then I snapped you back. Fair enough.
you always snap back man

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Captin gay said:
wow the "JUST A THEORY!" theist meme, right on schedule. cue members explaining the scientific method

I blame our highschools for not adequately explaining how the scientific method works... All I can remember (from year 8/9/10 at least) is that we start off with a hypothesis, method, test, results, conclusion etc but no real explanations of the philosophy of science.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Captin gay said:

It is said , because regretfully it is taught. Evolution is JUST a theory so it can be proved wrong , yada yada yada. Ive heard it myself - from a teacher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)