• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God exist? (4 Viewers)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

IMABOYDAMON!

Banned
HSC
Personally, I believe that there is a higher being, whether it be the God that the Christians believe in, the God that the Muslims believe in, or any other God for that matter, I do not know. But, for me, I'm not about to waste my life being restricted by religion and believeing in a God for which there is no true, imperical evidence to prove his existence.

People tell us to believe in aliens, but we laugh them off and call them looneys. People tell us to believe in some guy that lives high in the sky, and we get on our knees and pray. See the absurdity?

I'm an Agnostic.

kg3000

HSC
ok people, i dont wanna get into this mudfight too much, but everyone should really watch part 1 of Zeitgeist, (the other 2 parts make SOME good points, but some parts are bit sceptical and or is in other films.)

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
3unitz said:
stop telling us what god is, if you can't present evidence. your inner conviction is NOT evidence.
Okay
Its just so fun though:)

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
I think this was my point with the whole anal thing... as long as people in this thread are going to continue to just speak out their rectums about what 'god' is I might as well just conceive my own equally likely scenarios for what he is, imo he made us to have anal with each other and that is why we're given such a pleasurely reward.

I guess the thing is : ( ill just speak for myself here)
I use my understanding of the bible to try to understand my God.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
The Bible message isn't very complicated or mysterious- what it basically says is that God created us to be in a relationship with him but we screwed up...so God sent his only son to take our punishment and we can come to God confidently. Knowing God gives me reassurance in this life and I can look forward to the next.
This contradicts the idea of an omnipotent God. If God truly intended for us to have a relationship with him, it defies logic as to why he’d also give us the ability to disobey him.
I agree it would be more worthwhile having an understanding of the original languages in which the Bible was written, however the Bible as the word of God is mean to be accessible to everyone and you don't have to be a biblical scholar to understand the basic gospel message- meaning that learning languages to understand the Bible in its "original" form would be helpful, but not essential. These days we have "dynamic equivalence" bibles compiled by biblical scholars so that the majority of people have the opportunity to read the gospel, which I would argue is better than trying to learn ancient languages for the sake of reading a text you might not necessarily agree with and give up on halfway due to frustration.
I think that just spat in the face of everything Pwar said. Basically we’re trying to read an ancient text using todays linguistics. Surely this poses a problem when trying to interpret the true word? I can use emytaylor’s insistence that Adam and Eve were married because the Bible uses the word ‘wife’ as an example. Clearly the meaning of wife is different now than it was at the time the Bible was written. Also it doesn’t say anything in the Bible about Adam and Eve being married. It merely says wife, yet emytaylor is convinced that means they were married, because by today’s standards, to be husband and wife means there has to have been a marriage ceremony.
he can still help those who are sick, we are all in rebellion of God and all have sinned, it is humans fault there is sickness, it doesnt mean he shouldnt help them. there are many Christian Doctors
We aren’t in rebellion. We were, apparently, given free will. Free will and a God who supposedly wants us to love him are not mutually inclusive. God has forsaken everybody because he screwed up and allowed this to happen. Surely giving them free will, God knew what he was in for. If this is a consequence of our own doing, why do we try in vain to oppose it. Surely trying to heal the sick is opposing the will of God. It’s his will that we get sick, so who are we to challenge this by coming up with cures and preventative measures?
God never intended for people to suffer from diease. In fact, if it weren't for God's intervention in the world I believe we would be in dire straits. Jesus spent much of his time healing people and I think that it's a massive priveledge to be able to help others and alleviate their suffering whenever possible.
Emytaylor just said that sickness is a consequence of our rebellion. Therefore it must have been Gods intent for us to suffer.
That's a bit of a defeatist view wouldn't you say? People are responsible for getting sick all the time
No they’re not. You two have just said that God is responsible for sickness, as it was our consequence for disobedience. So really, we can life the most healthy lifestyle and still be struck by illness.
he knew it was going to happen and he let it happen he just didnt want it to
That doesn’t make sense. He knew it was going to happen, he didn’t want to, but he let it happen? By admitting that he ‘let it happen’, you’re admitting that he has the power to stop it. So why doesn’t he? Doesn’t it make you curious as to why a God will let innocent people suffer, even though apparently he doesn’t want them to suffer?
What? you think God is HAPPY about the effects of sin? He doesnt like to see people suffer. Unfortunately , rebellion against God manifests itself in a pretty ugly way. They also affect the 'innocent'
If God isn’t happy why does he allow it to continue? You keep saying he doesn’t want to see people suffer, yet he allows it to continue.
Please Katie , understand this :
A consequence is an effect or result of an occurance
Sickness was a RESULT of sin

SIN is REBELLION against God.
If God's creation rebels , it does not behave as is BEST FOR IT.
We are custodians of the Earth ( think natural disasters) , and responsible for our bodies
Therefore the human body is affected.
Sin is a construct of God right. And we are a construct of God. Sin was created and we were given free will. It’s almost as though God intended for us to fail right away.
nobody is innocent though we have all sinned. he does not want us to sin.
I would say that a newborn baby has not sinned.
no we do not have a right to critisise God he is GOD.
he is in control.
he provided an opportunity for us to be wiped clean of sin
What was the opportunity?
Im questioning your right to judge God. i do this using Gods word..not mine
You’re not God, you can’t question my right to judge him. Which is interesting though, because you just admitted that I have a right to judge god. If it is our right to judge God, how can there be consequences?
No Katie , but GOD says u have no right to judge.
Im not deciding you cant.
Says who. Does God know that you’re telling people what he does and doesn’t say?
f you were God, would you not want people to love you out of their own free will and not just because they didn't know any other way? of course it must have been a really tough decision knowing that mankind was going to sin anyway, but going on the fact that we're here I'm guessing that God thought we were worth the effort.
No. If God truly wanted us to just love him, he would have made us that way. As soon as he puts free will and ‘sin’ on the table, he has already set us and him up for defeat. Like, it just does not make sense. If he knew what was going to happen, why let it?
yeah we were created in Gods image
So, I look like God?

HalcyonSky

HSC
*TRUE* said:
hi!
Im going to go have luuuunch.
Later :)
i hope it causes you gastro and heartburn

why do we bother argueing with this crazy trinity? it makes it seem like their points are even worth a rebuttal

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
HalcyonSky said:
i hope it causes you gastro and heartburn

why do we bother argueing with this crazy trinity? it makes it seem like their points are even worth a rebuttal
Well. You're nice.
Ive never seen any posts from you worth replying to either.
I can take the above from some members .... but not from you.
Say something constructive, and ill change my mind :)

HalcyonSky

HSC
if i think your beliefs are bogus and not worth my effort why would i ever post something constructive in regards to it?

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
HalcyonSky said:
if i think your beliefs are bogus and not worth my effort why would i ever post something constructive in regards to it?
Well , why dont you share your beliefs? (lol , apart from the fact that u believe me to be a bit tragic)
Who knows? Maybe id be convinced.
Certainly not convinced by those who dont justify all their insults...and dont say why they believe what they do.
I can understand agnostics...just not atheists

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
*TRUE* said:
I guess the thing is : ( ill just speak for myself here)
I use my understanding of the bible to try to understand my God.
Yeah sure thing... what makes the understanding of the bible a better way to understand god anyway though? You seem to be doing the old circular "I believe god because the bible tells me, I believe the bible because god tells me" sort of thing.

*TRUE* said:
What can't you understand? I don't believe in God like I don't believe in pixies. It's really not all that amazing.

Last edited:

HalcyonSky

HSC
*TRUE* said:
Well , why dont you share your beliefs? (lol , apart from the fact that u believe me to be a bit tragic)
Who knows? Maybe id be convinced.
Certainly not convinced by those who dont justify all their insults...and dont say why they believe what they do.
No

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
HalcyonSky said:
Well then , no offence intended, but you probably shouldnt post here, because this thread is for discussing whether God exists , not what we think of those who do.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Enteebee said:
Yeah sure thing... what makes the understanding of the bible a better way to understand god anyway though? You seem to be doing the old circular "I believe god because the bible tells me, I believe the bible because god tells me" sort of thing.

What can't you understand? I don't believe in God like I don't believe in pixies. It's really not all that amazing.
Okay.
Atheists believe that there is no God.
I believe there is.
Agnostics dont believe that there is conclusive evidence that there is a God , or that there is not a God - though some may feel there is more evidence for or against , they are not sure.

(my understanding)

My problem is , i have NEVER heard an athiest give conclusive reasoning to their claims.
Their beliefs seem founded on FAITH and BELIEF. I see them as religious.
If im wrong in thinking of athiests this way - id be interested to hear how they rationally come up with God doesnt exist.
I can comprehend those who say : I dont think God exists... I think is unlikely that God exists...

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
*TRUE* said:
Well then , no offence intended, but you probably shouldnt post here, because this thread is for discussing whether God exists , not what we think of those who do.
shes right you know.

Last edited:

HalcyonSky

HSC
*TRUE* said:
My problem is , i have NEVER heard an athiest give conclusive reasoning to their claims.
the atheists here have pointed out countless flaws in your beliefs and do so day in day out, as well as quoting evidence for their beliefs to which u responded in all ur god-given wisdom "science is boring" (that was you, right? it was either you or emy, you're both the same to me).

I wont be acceptant of your beliefs, ill just be acceptant of the fact that all you are is a naive little kid who's too afraid to step out of her bubble.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
HalcyonSky said:
the atheists here have pointed out countless flaws in your beliefs and do so day in day out, as well as quoting evidence for their beliefs to which u responded in all ur god-given wisdom "science is boring" (that was you, right? it was either you or emy, you're both the same to me).

I wont be acceptant of your beliefs, ill just be acceptant of the fact that all you are is a naive little kid who's too afraid to step out of her bubble.

ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!!
I DID NOT NOT NOT say science is boring!!!!!!!!!!
You dont know me, you dont know me at all.
YOU are naiive for assuming that you can understand me and my beliefs...because of someone ELSE who you ASSUME holds the same beliefs as me.
Whatever Mr Sky :)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
HalcyonSky said:

It was emy. True's a little less narrow minded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)