Does God exist? (1 Viewer)

do you believe in god?

• Total voters

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
tommykins said:
Ahaha, on the topic of God, I was watching the WYD celebrations and a Father (bishop? I don'tknow the technical terms) was talking about the atmosphere. I'll quote as best as I can -

"I was on the way to the mass until I saw a woman dropped her pram, and without hesitation - a group of pilgrims helped her out immediately. Now that's the atmosphere we are looking at, faith driven love and unity."
I don't get it. That seems like a completely reasonable observation for him to make.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
tommykins said:
Ahaha, on the topic of God, I was watching the WYD celebrations and a Father (bishop? I don'tknow the technical terms) was talking about the atmosphere. I'll quote as best as I can -

"I was on the way to the mass until I saw a woman dropped her pram, and without hesitation - a group of pilgrims helped her out immediately. Now that's the atmosphere we are looking at, faith driven love and unity."
Well that's insulting. Sif people who DON'T have "faith-driven" love and unity wouldn't help her out.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Also implies that if those pilgrims HADN'T been "faith-driven", they would have stood by and done nothing.

CHILLAXINGLY.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
soha said:
You're still around? I thought you'd committed suicide or something when you realised Allah doesn't exist.

Robert Mugabe

Banned
HSC
N/A
We are now being coerced to accept and believe that a new political-cum-religious doctrine has arisen, namely that there is but one political God, George W Bush, and Tony Blair is his prophet.

Regards, Robert Mugabe
President of the Republic of Zimbabwe

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Graney said:
I don't get it. That seems like a completely reasonable observation for him to make.
Please see -

Kwayera said:
Well that's insulting. Sif people who DON'T have "faith-driven" love and unity wouldn't help her out.
Kwayera said:
Also implies that if those pilgrims HADN'T been "faith-driven", they would have stood by and done nothing.

CHILLAXINGLY.

On the ball :)

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Slidey said:
You're still around? I thought you'd committed suicide or something when you realised Allah doesn't exist.
no i moved on with my life
im married now
have a great job
moved out of home
very happy thanks..not suicidal at all

JUSTINISANGLO

HSC
soha said:
no i moved on with my life
im married now
have a great job
moved out of home
very happy thanks..not suicidal at all
HSC: 2004.

Islam: Wrong on freedom, wrong for Australia.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
In the beginning, there was Jack, and Jack had a groove, and from this groove came the groove of all grooves. And while one day viciously throwing down on his box, Jack boldly declared, Let there be House, and House music was born. I am, you see, I am the creator, and this is my House, and in my House there is only House music. But I am not so selfish, because once you've entered my House, it then becomes our House and our House music...
and you see no one man owns House because house music is a universal language spoke and understood by all. You see, House is a feeling that no one can understand really, unless you're deep into the vibe of House. House is an uncontrolable desire to Jack your body and as I told ya before this is our house, and our House music....

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
An interesting essay in The Age:

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/re...e-in-one-fewer-god-20080722-3jas.html?page=-1

I don't give a stuff what people believe in, but it won't stop me poking at it or prodding it. Why should religion be any exemption? Telling me I'm going to hell won't bother me because I have the Flying Spaghetti Monster, the Invisible Pink Unicorn and Bertrand Russell's Teapot in my heart. Google them if you are in the market for some red hot enlightenment.

It's been a revelation to me a year since my "epiphany". I feel as if I'm walking through life with the blinkers off. Suddenly all the religious mumbo-jumbo jumps out as so bonkers. Wearing certain things, eating certain things, mumbling certain things at certain times so some imaginary friend will let you into a club in the sky when you die. I want to do my living now, thanks. I'm not afraid of dying. I'm afraid of never having lived.

I don't care what people believe in, but I do care that religion impacts on political discourse, public policy and that it stunts the ability of people to think for themselves and question. And that it kills people and causes suffering. But most of all I care that the invisible electric fences that are wired in the minds of children brainwashed by religion are difficult to remove. And impossible if you don't even know they're there.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I wouldn't say he's bashing religion because it's trendy. I think that he's "bashing religion" because society has finally allowed him to. He's angry, as is Hitchens, and Dawkins, and Dennett, and myself. Why shouldn't they be?

Have you actually read Harris' End of Faith?

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Kwayera said:
I wouldn't say he's bashing religion because it's trendy. I think that he's "bashing religion" because society has finally allowed him to. He's angry, as is Hitchens, and Dawkins, and Dennett, and myself. Why shouldn't they be?

Have you actually read Harris' End of Faith?
Yeah, it's basically a big polemic that misses the entire point of religion

nah just messing with u cat :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)