• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

*Barbie*

HSC
joujou_84 said:
i didnt mean u personally changed it.....i mean christianity as a whole but fair enough.....
lol oh ;) gotcha... no worries at all... it's so late i cnt even remember if i took it personalli...lol

Kulazzi

HSC
Wa'Alaikum Asslaam. Good night. And yes, it is islamic sydney except it's the forum ;)

edit: I think I will as well. My grandmother would be waking me up for tea in about 4 -6 hours. Salaam, or in English: Peace, guys, I'll c ya around. Take care.

Last edited:

somechick

HSC
N/A
*Barbie* said:
under the law of Moses (the o.t.)..there were rules of clean and unclean beats...
in the new testament these rules are not applied... we see in [/B]Acts 10 [/B] through a vision to Simon (who would be sent to preach 2 Cornelius(a Gentile)) In the vision God told Simon to kill and eat...because he had been fasting and was hungry...Simon said he had never eaten any unclean thing b4...
God replied that what He has cleansed shall not b called common or unclean...

The rule for the clean and unclean beasts can be debated at length about all the benefits it offered the Jews, but a major part of all the laws given to the Jews was to separate them from the rest of the world...to make them a people separate unto God...After Jesus did His deal on earth, the door was open to all who were called. Jew or Gentile. So the rule for unclean beasts (for food) no longer applied because being separate unto God was accomplished by the Holy Spirit, not mere ceremonial laws... Jesus condemned the Pharasies saying that God could raise children of Abraham from mere stones if He wished. Confronting their vanity and conceit...

Jesus also told the Pharasies that it isn't what goes into a man's mouth that makes him unclean but the things that come out of a man's mouth.
i didnt change things... God said it in the old testament to set His people apart... in the New Testament as written above Salvation comes through the Holy Spirit to anyone Jew or Gentile... that's why it's changed...

hello barbie,

Can i ask a question? why did God separate his people apart?
And why did they have to change the Bible?

In terms of the unclean and clean beasts thing, in Islam you can eat ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING in times of desperate need. For example if you were stuck in desert with only a pig, go for your life. Sounds a bit like Simon's desperate need dont you think cos he was fasting and he was hungry?
I will read up on this, can you suggest a site because if i look up something it might be biased, so please post a site which you think is most educational on this topic.
Also why was Simon fasting?
Sorry to bombard you with questions lol. hehehe just doing my bit as a human.

Last edited:

somechick

HSC
N/A
*Barbie* said:
good question...
i am pasting a quote from the wise C.S. Lewis... mayb you've read his books (the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe etc...luv those books lol :cool: )

"...I am trying here to prevent the one foolish thing many people often say about Jesus, 'I can accept Jesus as a good moral teacher, but not as God.'" That is one thing we cannot say. Jesus claimed to be God. If this wasn't true, saying it (along with the other statements He made) would mean He shouldn't be considered a good moral teacher. There are only 3 choices we have for Jesus: 1 He was wrong and he knew it (liar); 2 He was wrong, but thought he was God (lunatic); or, 3 He actually was Lord and God [McDowell, Evidence pg 103]. So the choices include liar, lunatic, or Lord; if He was a liar or lunatic He should not be considered a good moral teacher. There is no disputing the fact that there was a man named Jesus who lived..."

Jesus life and death were not refuted...
The writers of the New Testament were eye-witnesses of what they recorded. The fact that they wrote the manuscripts during the time the enemies of Christ were alive (and could prove whether the things they said were true or not) should be further proof that what was said/written was true. We don't have a record of any refutation as to the birth, life, death, or resurrection of Christ. The Bible says that after His death and resurrection Jesus was seen alive by more then 500 people; I Corinthians 15:5-8 says, "And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve: After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of whom the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep. After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles. And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.

So basically we believe Jesus is the Son of God because that's what God's word says...
"As Jesus was coming up out of the water, he saw heaven being torn open and the Spirit descending on him like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased." Mark 1:10-11

In regards to the first paragraph;

Did Jesus say in the bible that he was God? While he was on the cross did he not say "why have you forsaken me lord?" (Just like in the many movies of Jesus like the passion of the christ-also on this note, that the aramaic sounding of the word "illahe" as Jesus says sounds like God in Arabic). Will the universe be without God for the 3 days while he was on the cross?

Jesus states in the Gospel of Barnabas: "And having said this, Jesus said again, "I confess before heaven, and call to witness everything that dwelleth upon earth, that i am stranger to all that men have said of me, to wit, that i am more than a man. For i am a man, born of a woman, subject to the judgement of God, that live here like as other men, subject to common miseries".

I can give more examples if you like.

K

katie_tully

The bible has many contradictions...And when people try and explain the contradictions, they end up contradicting something else.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
joujou_84 said:
moonlightsonata has turns and i believe has argued with everyone on this forum
It is true

No-one has the exact same beliefs as I do, so everyone is doomed to have words with me one day or another :)

I like to think we all come out a bit more open minded to alternate perspectives at the end of it.... especially my perspectives

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Pace Setter said:
Granted the truth of that idea (m.empiric), I've got no proof. But then again, I have yet to explicitly state whether I believe in god or not. My whole point was that you should have made clear the temporary assumption of moderate empiricism being "correct," as the starting point for this whole argument/thread.
Wait till we get a crisis in epistemological conflict, then maybe we'll see about that.

In the meantime, we must wait for something convincing

Pace Setter

If everyone on BOS gave a dollar to tsunami aid every time someone brought up (or inferred) the length of this thread...

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
katie_tully said:
The bible has many contradictions...And when people try and explain the contradictions, they end up contradicting something else.
started reading a book
1001 contradictions in the bible
yeah..you could say there is many..

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
ok i have to put in my 5 cents even though i what i am about to say has probabaly already been said 50 times!

ok here goes...

God doesnt exist simply because the bible is just an ancient book full of insidious lies that constantly contradicts itself. One of the biggest contradictions of the bible rests in the first tale of the bible, that being the one about Adam and Eve. I am assuming this has already been pointed out, but how does the Christian religion explain the incest that would have has to occur for the human race to begin? ie.Eve would have had to sleep with either Cane or Able for the human race to have begun :jaw: Now as someone who has never read the bible all the way through i am only assuming that incest is considered to be a sin (no, im not really that dum i know that incest is a sin, but you get my point :p)

*Barbie*

HSC
imsooverskool said:
ok i have to put in my 5 cents even though i what i am about to say has probabaly already been said 50 times!

ok here goes...

God doesnt exist simply because the bible is just an ancient book full of insidious lies that constantly contradicts itself. One of the biggest contradictions of the bible rests in the first tale of the bible, that being the one about Adam and Eve. I am assuming this has already been pointed out, but how does the Christian religion explain the incest that would have has to occur for the human race to begin? ie.Eve would have had to sleep with either Cane or Able for the human race to have begun :jaw: Now as someone who has never read the bible all the way through i am only assuming that incest is considered to be a sin (no, im not really that dum i know that incest is a sin, but you get my point :p)

heya...basically incest wasn't against the law of God till Leviticus 18...

Quote from Bible Gateway -"For Cain to marry his sister or any other close relation was not harmful as it is today. There would be few if any genetic disorders at this time. However, as time past, the human race accumulated more and more genetic defects, so by the time of Moses, the laws against incest, as given in Leviticus 18:1, were necessary. These laws helped prevent deformed children."

In Leviticus 18 God clearly outlines laws and regulations to Moses, against incest and other defiled sexual practices, that have been passed down through history

imsooverskool

theres a fire in my pants
HSC
right....

so god can just make up what is sinful as he goes along? Scientifically (this is a statement based in fact not in fable), those who are closely related are too close genetically to procreate without there being faults in the genetics of their offspring. So unless gods early humans were a different species to us today then the children of cane and abel would have been deformed thus all of the human race would have been retarded!

Last edited:

VonDavis

(",) ..... *'\_/'*
HSC
Hey guys/gals just a quick invitation .....
for all you Christians and Non-Christians I just want to invite you all to Wildlife on Friday nights at Hillsong Church (Norwest/Baulkham Hills and/or Woolloomooloo) ..... There is honestly something that everyone will enjoy. Skate ramps, Awesome Music, Girl life/Boy Life Tents, Moshing (really awesome Christian rock Music), Great people (over 1000 go each friday) .....
In Febuary we have the worlds number one Surfer (and his crew) coming to promote his new surfing video (free Screening) totally up close and personal, we have our new album recording on the 27th Feb at the Entertainment Centre, the wildlife crew just got off Summercamp which absolutly rocked hard core.
Everything is completely free and it fully gives you the chance to understand god. Each week we see young people our age get saved and turning there lives to god. So honestly guys/gals totally come and tag along you'll meet some amazing people and rock out hard to some awesome music.
So if you want some more info about transport (a shuttle bus can pick you up for free), Times, what its all about just PM me or post in this forum....

Von xoxo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)