Does God Exist? (1 Viewer)

dark_angel

God Is One
HSC
wasted_emotions said:
do u know how fun it is breaking electrical stuff? do u know how fun it is to break anything? i threw computer parts in a fire once, that was cool, you know them lil component thingys well they explode.. fire fixes everything. I'll make you a deal, i'll break my computer and then kill myself if you douse your body in petrol then set youself on fire and run down your street naked? i promise you'll enjoy it
lol.

what is your purpose for existing?

Vezzellda

HSC
wasted_emotions, I don't know what you are claiming to be but please don't bring dishonour on God and Christian people with your remarks.

happy cup

has left BOS :)
HSC
N/A
I definately believe in God's existence. I can understand that people don't want to believe things unless it can be clearly explained or that they can physically see or touch it.
My reasons for believing in God and the whole Catholic church is not because I can turn to it when I'm down or to help explain things about the world.
I believe in it because I just know it's right. I know that doesn't explain much or give any proof but that's just my opinion. I'll probably get a lot of people arguing with wat i just said but oh well that's the only way I can explain it.
I think that some people refuse to believe in God because it's much harder to live a life of restrictions and sacrifice. It's easier for people to say that there's no God so that they can go and do anything they want without the guilt. I'm not saying that's the case for everyone, just some people. Pls don't see it as an attack against people who don't believe in God i'm juz saying my opinion. :)

HSC
I believe in God and the Christian faith. I understand why a lot of people don't believe in religion anymore...who can blame them considering the people who represent religions in particular Catholic priests (i cant remember how many jokes i've heard about them) but whenever i ask people why they dont believe in God its always because 'it sounds stupid', 'evolution' or constant references to third world parts of the planet. Its impossible to rebuttle the first two..because lets face it if the bible is portrayed incorrectly considering a large amount isn't literal and that evolution is so convincing that its taught in schools. The last point people use i can rebuttle because from memory the Bible never says God can control peoples minds, so in lets say an area of Africa where there may be extreme hunger or even ethnic cleansing God doesn't intervene because the people initiating the these things have no faith in Him and can't be controlles by Him. Besides that Earth is like the halfway point between Hell and Heaven...so I think it is sought of like the midway point were people decide to follow him or not...there is no need to intervene because if they have faith they will pass on and proceed to Heaven. But considering how terrible humans can be to each other I see where peoples spite and doubt come from.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to jezzmo again.
------------------
happy cup said:
I believe in it because I just know it's right. I know that doesn't explain much or give any proof but that's just my opinion.
You do not "know" it is right, you believe it is right. Which in turns translates to:

"I believe this."

(Read the very first post of this thread)

happy cup

HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
------------------
You do not "know" it is right, you believe it is right. Which in turns translates to:

"I believe this."

(Read the very first post of this thread)
This might not make sense to u but for me, I feel that i don't need proof to 'know' it is right i juz do and i did mean to use 'know'. It's something called faith. :) But i respect that u have ur own opinion so yeh ish cool.

Last edited:

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
happy cup said:
This might not make sense to u but for me, I feel that i don't need proof to 'know' it is right i juz do and i did mean to use 'know'. It's something called faith. :) But i respect that u have ur own opinion so yeh ish cool.
Thats fine, no one is criticising you for that. I guess Moonlight gets annoyed sometimes because the point of the thread was to provide physical evidence and almost everyone that posted has used faith as their evidence.

Last edited:

happy cup

HSC
N/A
acmilan said:
Thats fine, no one is criticising you for that. I guess Moonlight gets annoyed sometimes because the point of the thread was to provide physical evidence and almost everyone that posted has either used faith as their evidence.
yups i understand that :p this thread is too long to read all the posts so i apologise for repeating anything hehe

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
happy cup said:
Firstly, knowledge is justified true belief. Seeing as you not only do not justify your belief, but you also have no way of validating its truth, it is not knowledge and you do not "know."

Secondly, faith is belief without evidence. This is not knowledge, as mentioned above, because it lacks justification. To say one "knows" something through "faith" is a contradiction.

So, to reiterate, you do not know, you believe.

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
acmilan said:
Thats fine, no one is criticising you for that. I guess Moonlight gets annoyed sometimes because the point of the thread was to provide physical evidence and almost everyone that posted has used faith as their evidence.
Indeed, because faith means belief despite lack of evidence. So if people say "faith is my proof" I must point out the absurd conflict of terms, as it were

But I try not to get annoyed.. sorry if I seem that way sometimes

sly fly

HSC
i dont think u ppl realise that SCIENCE IS NOT OPPOSED TO THE EXISTENCE OF A GOD.....it's possible that God exists without that affecting science u know

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
sly fly said:
i dont think u ppl realise that SCIENCE IS NOT OPPOSED TO THE EXISTENCE OF A GOD.....it's possible that God exists without that affecting science u know
Um.. yeh, so?

happy cup

HSC
N/A
MoonlightSonata said:
Firstly, knowledge is justified true belief. Seeing as you not only do not justify your belief, but you also have no way of validating its truth, it is not knowledge and you do not "know."

Secondly, faith is belief without evidence. This is not knowledge, as mentioned above, because it lacks justification. To say one "knows" something through "faith" is a contradiction.

So, to reiterate, you do not know, you believe.
I fully understand what u're saying. I was mainly basing my reply on my feelings towards the matter which is that I have absolutely no doubt in my mind about God's existence. That's why i said 'know' but since u made a really good point i'll take it back n say that yes 'I believe'. :uhhuh:
Anyways, as for physical evidence? How about what happened at Fatima? Or the Shroud of Turin?.
hehe there will always be opposing sides to everything. No answer will make every1 happy :eek:

[edit: i think i'm going to back out of this debate hehe]

Last edited:

malkin86

HSC
"If God did not exist, it would be neccessary to invent Him." I don't quite get it - is this saying that
God could be a purely human concept? A Big Guy Upstairs, looking out for us? It sounds fairly attractive.

malkin86

HSC
So if God didn't exist, it would be neccessary to invent Him, so therefore He would exist? :( So, why would it not be neccessary to invent God?

Does Pascal's Wager work?

Is God good? If we define God as being good, what does this mean for our notions of goodness?

Keen

MD
HSC
Actually while it does seem a silly argument, it has actually been proven that the brain has an area which it respons well to a feeling of enlightenment etc (New Scientist, vol 170, no. 2287, April 21 2001 pp. 24-28).
The conclusions they drew were that either God created this part in our brain so we could be in touch with him, or that because of this we needed to create god. (interestingly I heard a christian leader refer to this study and concluded that it is proof that god exists - this is the difference between science and religion (religious people love to be ignorant)).

I've said this all before previously, but it's here for your sake.

Keen

malkin86

HSC
Thankyou Keen! :D

So humans are neurologically predisposed to believe in God? Is this violating our free will to believe or disbelieve? Are some people are more likely than others to be believers? Is this due to their genes, or their upbringing - or possibly both?

Keen

MD
HSC
Well sort of an area of the brain is hightened when in prayer/meditating etc.
The limbic system (emotional centre) of the brain gets excited tagging everything with special significance - a possible reason why people who have spiritual experiences find it difficult to describe. This region is highly active in people with epileptic seizures (why some people describe seeing things during fits) interestingly Joan of Arc might possibly have been epileptic. This area can also be stimulated to produce these effects.
To answer your question, the article doesn't refer to any specific groups but it seems all humans are touched by this pheonmenon but of course your bringing up would determine to an extent what you see (eg. if you're a strong atheist you wouldn't interpret it as a sign of god but just as being at great peace and highly relaxed, whereas a strong christian would interpret it as talking to god etc.)

Keen

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)