does ur school rank really affect ur mark? (2 Viewers)

georgefren

HSC
Hmm. There's about 20 really bright guys (we got 4 UAI of 100 and 5 on 99.95, our top 20 gets above 99.90 usually) and it breaks down to 30-40 above 99, 100ish above 95, 140ish above 90. Depends what you mean by deadbeats, but i'd say then about 20 guys? which is about 12%, sad enough.

HSC
georgefren said:
Hmm. There's about 20 really bright guys (we got 4 UAI of 100 and 5 on 99.95, our top 20 gets above 99.90 usually) and it breaks down to 30-40 above 99, 100ish above 95, 140ish above 90. Depends what you mean by deadbeats, but i'd say then about 20 guys? which is about 12%, sad enough.
is it hard to get into sydney grammer?

Q2C-ME

2SUS
HSC
hasnt followed the thread, but in short

directly - never

indirectly - only very slightly

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
yeah, just fork out 22K (iirc) per year?
yeah but all rich people have that power, so it shouldn't be hard in general. :p

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Sydney Grammar is academically selective as well as private (not in the same way as the public selective highs are selective but still selective.

They will refuse to enrol a student from the primary school into the high school if they don't think that the boy will cope academically. Boys also sit an entrance exam in May the year before they wish to enter Year 7 and if they don't meet the standard - they miss out. They also have to satisfactorily pass an interview.

It is not as simple as paying the fees - they have to be academically capable as well. Most private schools do not have an academic requirement.

mushi2195

HSC
digimonstudent said:
i read all the SC forums 100 hundred times. i knew how marks were aligned. i studied 6+ hours every day. i only got 6 hours of sleep this year. i practised each past paper at least 10 times. i checked the syllabus to ensure that i knew everything. i practised with the excel books. i nagged the hell outta all my teachers n career advisor so they would tell me all i needed to know. i asked former yr 10 students bout their experiences with the SC. i checked the standard packages n even checked as many past student responses as i could. i bloody studied for the SC just the same way a yr 12 kid would study for the HSC n my marks were way below my expectations! thats y im blaming the BOS. did i do anything wrong at all? that only means that it is the BOS fault. n no i didnt find the SC hard at all. my internals were harder then it. i also discussed my answers with my cousin who got high band 6 n we got like the same answer in every question. whats more to the system than this?

n im also wondering if i studied like this for the SC n got these results, imagine what i would get for the HSC?
If i do a exam a 2nd time, i already know the answers without working it out (maths) so i don t do it again. Each year their is a different exam, so fi you got 100 in it, doesn t mean you ll get a 100.

Also who said someone without HSC, or SC can teach
You can become qualified as a teacher by completing:
an undergraduate degree, then a teacher education course (such as a graduate diploma in education); or
a double degree program such as a bachelor of commerce/bachelor of teaching; or
an integrated program (such as a bachelor of education degree) which includes both subject content studies and teacher education.

https://www.det.nsw.edu.au/employment/teachnsw/teacherqual.htm

so either the DET has sent those teachers so it can be sued by a few thousand angry parents or your info is wrong. Also teachers apply directly to schools and head teachers conduct interviews with principals.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Raif said:
There are 2 marks issued for each student running for an UAI. The "School Assessment Mark" and the "HSC Mark". Each mark has a 50% weighting. But what the Board do, when issues someone with their UAI, is that they look at the Average class mark for the overall assessment mark, and compare it to the average HSC mark. Now, if the class average for the ass. mark is ALOT lower than the class average hsc mark, that obviously means that the school tests Are VERY EASY,, and so that Scales down your actual mark.
Similiarly this applies if the average ass mark was really low, and the class average hsc mark was really high, that obviously means that the school exams are really hard..

So its classes who work together throughout the year and are most improved that really score the highest UAI's.
Just a note of correction.

The BOS doesn't issue the UAI at all - UAC does.

The BOS doesn't scale anything based on school marks.

It aligns the exam marks across the state and then moderates the school assessment marks.

There are three terms you should know:

aligning = the process by which the BOS adjusts the raw exam marks into the Bands

moderation = the process by which the BOS adjusts the school assessment marks to be fair across the state

scaling = the process by which UAC compares all students and results across the state to get an overall ranking of students for university entrance (which is what the UAI is - a rank for the universities to use when deciding who to accept).

Kujah

HSC
N/A
No. The marks of your cohort help determine your school's rank but not the other way around.

dp624

HSC
it's
"School Assessment Mark" and the "EXAMINATION Mark"

HSC mark is OVERALL - average

Caitlin63

:-)
HSC
My school is ranked in the 500's and i got a UAI of 97.00 and our dux this year got 99.1 Going to a poor ranked school does not stop you getting a high UAI.

austenjane

HSC
Re: This Thread Is Supposed To Be Dead So Do Not Click It!

so what do u guys think of my theory?[/quote]
Sounds feasible-suggest ext exams held at non-school location and marker not told school, separate mark given for ext exam, call marks WUAM (Wholly Unbiased Actual Marks) publish in paper, student chooses whether to use school-based assessment or not eg, if they get exam nerves or have special needs, for teriary entry, scrap UAI as the Useless Anachronistic Instrument (of Torture ) reminiscent of the rack.
Save the rack for all teachers, principals, deputies, subject coordinators and parents , and ask them the sit the WUAM each year so students can assess them

dp624

HSC
Re: This Thread Is Supposed To Be Dead So Do Not Click It!

austenjane said:
Sounds feasible-suggest ext exams held at non-school location and marker not told school, separate mark given for ext exam, call marks WUAM (Wholly Unbiased Actual Marks) publish in paper, student chooses whether to use school-based assessment or not eg, if they get exam nerves or have special needs, for teriary entry, scrap UAI as the Useless Anachronistic Instrument (of Torture ) reminiscent of the rack.
Save the rack for all teachers, principals, deputies, subject coordinators and parents , and ask them the sit the WUAM each year so students can assess them
Very concise and to the point and extremely well communicated. You have me convinced.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
austenjane said:
so what do u guys think of my theory?
Save the rack for all teachers, principals, deputies, subject coordinators and parents , and ask them the sit the WUAM each year so students can assess them[/QUOTE]

Just a note - markers are NOT told the schools that the are marking.

The mark sheet has the centre number on it and the student numbers but no school is indicated so unless the marker knows the centre number for every school they have no idea which school they are marking.

georgefren

HSC
All in all the BOS system is pretty good.

Except for my personal pet peeve about the stupid 4 maths scaling which means i have to get 97 in AHistory to get the same scaled mark as like a 90 in 4maths or something.

- L -

HSC
digimonstudent said:
hmmmm......maybe every1s getting bribed to shut their mouths.

ever had the notion that the government intends to keep most of the public encapsulated in imprudency?
the theory has a BIG FLAW
the fact that most of the top 100 schools in the state are pretty much PRIVATE SCHOOLS.....
Since board of studies is pretty much hired and influenced by the goverment and politicians have so much pride in our PUBLIC education system if they were to rig marks pretty much all the top schools would be public and selective schools.

what do you mean "how do you get into a selective school"
apply during the time frame mid year when applications are open > and they call you in to do a test (most schools do) as well as looking @ your report.
what schools have u applied for

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
- L - said:
the theory has a BIG FLAW
the fact that most of the top 100 schools in the state are pretty much PRIVATE SCHOOLS.....
Since board of studies is pretty much hired and influenced by the goverment and politicians have so much pride in our PUBLIC education system if they were to rig marks pretty much all the top schools would be public and selective schools.
THEY ARE. lol. top 7 schools were selective schools.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)