Dropping down to 2U (1 Viewer)

M

mouldygrape

Anyone here dropped Ext 1 and found that it was the best thing they ever did? Conversely, anyone dropped and really regretted dropping?

I did really badly in my prelims in both my maths exams, but funnily enough, did a lot better in the 3U exam than the 2U exam. The thing is, I might be "encouraged" to go down to 2U, in which case I would pick up Ext History and 4U English. Those areas are my strengths, and the subjects that I love (hate maths with a passion) but I'm worried because the marking in them is rather subjective and like, everyone in my school does 3U maths and I feel really unsure that I'll be able to get the ATAR that I want (over 99) with dropping it. That being said, all this worry is for just one unit and I'll be doing 15 altogether for my HSC >< (accelerated some).

So yeah, any thoughts? Thanks :/

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Anyone here dropped Ext 1 and found that it was the best thing they ever did? Conversely, anyone dropped and really regretted dropping?

I did really badly in my prelims in both my maths exams, but funnily enough, did a lot better in the 3U exam than the 2U exam. The thing is, I might be "encouraged" to go down to 2U, in which case I would pick up Ext History and 4U English. Those areas are my strengths, and the subjects that I love (hate maths with a passion) but I'm worried because the marking in them is rather subjective and like, everyone in my school does 3U maths and I feel really unsure that I'll be able to get the ATAR that I want (over 99) with dropping it. That being said, all this worry is for just one unit and I'll be doing 15 altogether for my HSC >< (accelerated some).

So yeah, any thoughts? Thanks :/
How many would you be doing next year (stuff you didn't accelerate).

georgia-ellen

HSC
Yeah I did that a few months ago. I was doing well in 3U compared to my class, but no one was that brilliant. I prefer History and English aswell, and I'm doing those extensions. so yeah I found focusing just one 2U was better than the extra maths unit. But, because I'm in a different class, I started advantaged knowing more of the course and so you tend to bludge a bit, and my friends were in my new class as opposed to just people that were maths nerds like myself before but not really social friends. But yeah drop ext maths haha it felt good. I enjoyed the content but its not really worth the extra unit compared to the amount of work.

Also, when you said you'd pick up ext hist and 4U english, dont do that to make up 10 units. Make sure you keep them as your 11th and 12th unit for a while, because you haven't done that content yet and you may want to drop one if you aren't so keen in the end, as 3 extension units will become really overwhelming

Hope this helps

edit... sorry, just realised you said you were doing 15 units. Don't even worry about the extension units then, just have them as extras for fun, don't do it as an obligation - only if you really enjoy it. If you are so-so about it, and don't enjoy them, don't bother. It will end up as too much stress and work

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
tbh you either do 2unit or 4unit math - doing 3unit is a waste

scardizzle

Salve!
HSC
at the end of the day, do what you like doing, it will help keep you sane. If you hate maths with a passion why do 3 unit ? You will be less motivated to study for it.

sinophile2

HSC
N/A
I never dropped any math units. But I really resent never taking up four unit, especially after reading this article:

Graduating College in 3 Semesters

The article basically told me that time would slip through your fingers unless you put yourself under stress. Being in three unit, I instantly realised this much was true. A pure two-unit student would have to be extremely motivated to match my marks in the same subject. Meanwhile, i'd have trouble matching a four-unit student's marks in the three-unit exam.

Im stuck in an awkward situation of having one unit I dont need for the HSC but DO need for university. My marks in year eleven were extremely crap because I was addicted to drugs back then, and if I knew i'd recover, get good marks, and also had the above knowledge at the start of this year, I would've chosen to do four unit.

Anyway, here's me giving you year eleven people some advice. Challenge yourself whenever you can. Don't drop units because you believe it will give you more time- because without being highly motivated that time will slip through your fingers. Aim for the moon, because even if you miss you'll land amongst the stars.

HSC
i dropped just before year 12 half yearlies.
honestly best decision i have ever made.
3u was such a waste for me. looking at my other subjects which had pretty high marks, it definatly was not going to count towards my atar so there was no point in me doing it.
plus i found the subject sooooo boring and required so much time.
and the class was no fun.

so i dropped it :) and life was perfect lol.
i regret picking it in the first place actually.

mindelay

HSC
How many units are you doing for yr 12 (not accelerated)? Because is it really worth all that work to have 1/3 of your units not actually count in the end?

I did better in my 3U prelim than my 2U, but I just hated the actual content and I knew I'd rather spend my time studying my humanities subjects. I had to choose between 3 units of maths (my worst/hated subject) or 3 units of french (my best/favourite subject), and I knew I'd rather spend my time studying my humanities subjects. And I'm so glad I dropped because it literally halved my workload for maths, which made me enjoy it a lot more!

The only thing I found is that the 2U class was a lot more laid back than the 3U class, so I got less work done at school.. But I ended up in the top 10 out of about 70 for 2U (and that's including all the 3U kids) so it really didn't matter for me in the end. Basically, if you don't like maths, do less of it, and you'll be able to focus more on the 2U topics. Good luck deciding :)

boxhunter91

HSC
I regretted dropping.
FFS would of been so much easier to get 90+ if i just kept 3U... Stupid English kill my life.

tku336

HSC
I dropped 3U and all it did was allow me to spend more time doing subjects I enjoyed. Thing is, 2 unit will get dominated by the 2 unit people who spend their time doing 2 unit papers; 3 unit will get dominated by 4 unit people who are more familiar with the concepts. If you do 3 unit maths, you have less incentive to do well in 3 unit maths compared to 4 unit people as it's worth half the units, and spend less time in class practising 2 unit material. It's a lose lose situation. Go 2 or 4 units, not 3.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)