Dux of your school (2 Viewers)

kathrynso

HSC
Highest UAI for my school last year was 93.10 or something and i think he got dux

Go to Elizabeth Macarthur High: public education!

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
06: 92 even.
05: 96.85, I thinks.

Yes, we're shit. Wheeeee.

They reckon our year will shit on the 05ers. Woot.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
humglish said:
nothing amazing though...
Depends on what you class as amazing. For me it isn't so much the uai but the circumstance the student was place in and what effected their overal outcome that determines who good it was. Like someone could get high 90s but if it wasn't for some circumstance or something else happening to them they could of got higher.

I went to a public school and was nothing wrong with it. Our dux last year got 97.xx.

The funny thing about the whole selective, private vs public school garbage is that at the end of the day the school you went to won't effect the the job you get. Everyone goes to the same unis yes, yes uai will determine that but you don't get special consideration just because you went to a private school. So in the long run all that money would probably be spent on uni rather in private schooling because once you in uni nobody will ask about your school more your uni marks etc etc. If anything the whole debate goes on because people are naive to the other side....

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
pritnep said:
Depends on what you class as amazing. For me it isn't so much the uai but the circumstance the student was place in and what effected their overal outcome that determines who good it was. Like someone could get high 90s but if it wasn't for some circumstance or something else happening to them they could of got higher.

I went to a public school and was nothing wrong with it. Our dux last year got 97.xx.

The funny thing about the whole selective, private vs public school garbage is that at the end of the day the school you went to won't effect the the job you get. Everyone goes to the same unis yes, yes uai will determine that but you don't get special consideration just because you went to a private school. So in the long run all that money would probably be spent on uni rather in private schooling because once you in uni nobody will ask about your school more your uni marks etc etc. If anything the whole debate goes on because people are naive to the other side....
People from like shore, joeys, kings and knox etc might sometimes have an advantage because of the old people who believe their school had a superior overall benefit that you couldn't get at other schools so you might get extra consideration for that. (Long sentence...cbf to read)

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
my skool highest UAI's "05" 95.2
"06" 80 (note he was very very lucky to get 80 had only one mark in the 80's (88 for business studies and the rest 70's)

this year.... everyone is expecting me to get highest UAI in schools history which wont be THAT hard i guess... 95+

HSC
dam, so many smart school.....the top uai at my school i think was 98.something....this year we got this realli smart guy.....im pretty shure he will get 99.something

justCARLA

HSC
Last year's DUX got 99.95
Same with the year before's dux.
He got a scholarship for Princeton University in America.

xsjado

HSC
justCARLA said:
Last year's DUX got 99.95
Same with the year before's dux.
He got a scholarship for Princeton University in America.
Crazy...
A full scholarship?

Ozza

HSC
pritnep said:
I very much know that there are heaps of public school kids out there but these threads on a whole attract selective and private school kids no debating that fact.
We are one.... but we are many... and from all the lands on Earth we come... we share a dream...

etc. etc.

I go to Colo High (Public, wewt) and I think last years was 99.65 or something... But at ours we have two awards; Academic Excellence - For the smartest person based on school results and then Dux - For the highest UAI. But it was a pretty close competition last year 3 people were really closetogether in their UAIs and the guy who got academic excellence got swamped...

dombro

HSC
Top UAI was 97.8...best UAI ever at The riverina Anglican College...though not all that surprising given that we've only had 3 grades go through, and last years crapped all over the two before...

adders

HSC
I attend sydney high, last year one guy got 100 UAI and 60 people got over 99 UAI, but we also had 2 stars

lala2

Banned
HSC
About the whole Sydney Grammar thing:

- You must sit an entrance test which ranks you and admission is based on your results in the test, in ALL years except for Kindy, in which they assess you based on your "potential" (I heard they put you into a play-group type situation and assess your creativity, problem-solving skills, getting along with others, etc...not sure about this). Therefore--selective.
- They pay close to $20,000 a year by the end of Year 12. That is most definitely private. Arguably one of, if not the most, expensive schools in Sydney.
- One guy got a UAI of 100 in 2006. Reliable evidence from my piano teacher's son--he finished that year at SGS with a UAI of 99.85.
- Scholarships--there are about 50 places for entry to Year 7. Around 20-25 of these are scholarship holders. Don't ask me what the breakdown of those scholarships are, but apparently there are only 5 (max) full scholarships available (and I don't think it's even that), with the rest being partial.

Last edited:

kony

HSC
when i was in year 6, sydney grammar offered no full scholarships at all (only half scholarships i believe). this could very well have changed though.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
They offered me one in Year 6, but I said 'No, get the fuck away from me. I'm too good for you.'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)