English advanced or standard?!?! (1 Viewer)

canleyvale

HSC
Hey guys, started year 11 around 2 weeks ago, and i put "advanced english" as my subject last year. However i didnt get it because my ranking wasnt quite up to it. Im currently attending a tutoring center with a person named Richard Lawson. He advised me that advanced english is 'much' harder then standard. Ive also had other opinions from relatives that had finished there hsc and they said its not 'much' harder its just different in 1 paper between advanced and standard. Anyway my question is as follow: Is Advanced english 'MUCH' harder than standard english as if i compared it between 3 and 4 unit maths? and If i put in about the same hours of study in advanced rather than putting it in standard would it be sufficient? If you have any thoughts, suggestions or further information can you share it on this thread?
Thanks alot :)

muzeikchun852

HSC
Hey guys, started year 11 around 2 weeks ago, and i put "advanced english" as my subject last year. However i didnt get it because my ranking wasnt quite up to it. Im currently attending a tutoring center with a person named Richard Lawson. He advised me that advanced english is 'much' harder then standard. Ive also had other opinions from relatives that had finished there hsc and they said its not 'much' harder its just different in 1 paper between advanced and standard. Anyway my question is as follow: Is Advanced english 'MUCH' harder than standard english as if i compared it between 3 and 4 unit maths? and If i put in about the same hours of study in advanced rather than putting it in standard would it be sufficient? If you have any thoughts, suggestions or further information can you share it on this thread?

i personally think there isnt a huge different between the course, but there is major different on the text studied and how u study them.

u cant really compare with maths becoz they are two different course with different aspect.

if u only put the same hourse of study in advanced as u does in standard, you would be sufficent for sure.

Last edited:

mioumiou

HSC

Hey there, I would suggest you to give Advance english a try and see how you go. But, if you can't handle it, I would suggest you to drop it. As our English Head teacher said to us last year, "It's better to be the top student in Standard English rather than being the bottom of the Advance classes". That way, even though Standard did not scale as well as Advance, if you do well, it's possible to get a band 6 too!

Just ask your teacher if they can put you in advance for a few weeks and let you make the decisions of which level you are.

Anyway, good luck with your studies!! I hope this help. =P :D

Hope_

Hope~
HSC
Advanced and Standard have the same exam in the HSC. Only difference is that ADV scales higher - That's what my school teacher said. =.='

Misyndo

HSC
You're all fucking idiots if you think Standard and Advanced scale differently.

Amogh

HSC
N/A

Hayzazz

Pig Member
HSC
Do advanced. If you feel its too hard, then drop down to Standard.

ar7

HSC
advanced moderates heaps better

so a mark of lyk 70 in class myt b worth 80 depending how well u and ur classmates go

duckcowhybrid

HSC
The first exam is the same for both courses, you just write about different texts for section 3. The 2nd exam is completely different, as it is on your modules.

No YOU are a fucking idiot for thinking they don't, 2010'er. Do you understand the concept of scaling in the HSC? i.e. MORE DIFFICULT SUBJECTS ARE SCALED BETTER.
There are something like 50 band 6's in std english every year, in contrast, my entire class (about 25) bar 2 people got band 6's in adv. english last year.

To OP, there is a difficulty difference, in advanced you study more difficult concepts and texts, and are expected to write of a higher standard. I personally found the advanced course to be very interesting and rewarding, and gave me my highest mark from all my subjects. Speak to your teachers, if they think you can do advanced, my advice is do it. If you are capable (and it's not THAT hard), you will not regret it.
No they don't scale differently. They align differently. You see, a 95 in Standard scales the same as a 95 in Advanced, however to get a 95 in standard you hve to get 100+/105 raw or pretty much come first in the state. In Advanced you'd only need about 97/105 and even then you'd be coming well below top 50 in the state.

theism

Resident Apologetic
HSC
if i did my HSC over again
i'd go standard for sure.

when i was writing essays about as you like its' 'iambic pentameter'

my mate (who was going standard) was drawing some cartoon for a story-board line.

wtf.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)