English Tutoring - Why you need me (1 Viewer)

phaedrus900

HSC
N/A
All are welcome for this Q and A, even the grammatically challenged ;)

Update tomorrow with final details, including time and a couple of advance questions.

Looking fwd to it guys - happy studying :)

Dave

phaedrus900

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

I have had a number of requests to postpone this session due to students currently completing their mid yearlies, so I will now be holding the Q and A on Wednesday, 23 March. Please keep the questions coming; if we don't get to them on Wednesday I will post as a separate attachment and answer subsequently.

For those currently undertaking English Extension 2 or interested, I will, however, still be running the Extension 2 forum tonight. Please check the Extension 2 pages for more details, and to participate. Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

phaedrus900

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in putting the Advanced session through - I had an influx of student needs, and obviously current students come first. This break did, however, give me the idea to rethink the structure a bit. I have decided to do more of a slow-release Q and A to give students more time to private message with anxieties, queries and concerns. In turn I may amend, augment my answers. So I will now answer 1 question every couple of days, continuing on a necessity basis.

As always if you wish to get in touch with me, either for private (individual or group) sessions, or simply to engage with the SR QandA process, you can pm me. Tutoring enquiries are better sent to dblo7401@uni.sydney.edu.au or my mob 0405836941.

Please don't feel shy! I have really enjoyed connecting with students of all levels this year. HSC is a difficult time and it helps to have people to guide you.

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited:

phaedrus900

HSC
N/A
Hi guys -

Quick pragmatic note. I have been inundated with tutoring requests and queries lately, which is always good BUT, please note:

1. I only tutor online. This is for various reasons, most particularly because of the style of tutoring I find most effective for students and enjoy. Which leads me to..
2. Although I tailor my approach to each student's needs and abilities, I generally follow a certain model. This model is: Each week one paid session, with follow up editing/marking reviews.

The typical form this takes will be that a student may work with me on an assessment - in the session we will discuss texts, model answers, pitfalls, particular anxieties and then set up a plan (very important for anxiety levels, and proper execution of everything discussed). Then the student will submit that work to me during the week for review/marking and editing.

Many students have asked me if I tutor in person, and whether I tutor differently to these models. Online is non-negotiable. While I am willing to help anyone, so will consider any reasonable request, I find that sporadic/intermittent and irregular sessions (usually in a panicked state before an assessment) are not conducive to good results, learning or anything genuine. Therefore:

3. Given this and my already fairly replete calendar, I am currently only taking regular students.

A few FAQs -

Does this mean that there's no point asking a question about a particular assessment I am struggling with?

No. As I have said here and in other posts, my main reason for tutoring is satisfaction at seeing students accomplish extraordinary gains in important skills, improve and (perhaps most importantly) feel confident in themselves and their abilities. Therefore, I will always try to help you if time permits. I am very happy to receive questions and will answer ASAP. As for feedback, if you have no other resort and are really stuck, I am also more than happy to try to find a solution for you.

Do you offer a marking/feedback service

As above, I prefer regular students. However, if there is just one essay you want to perfect, I may be willing to do this on a pro bono or paid basis (depending on how much attention and work it needs etc).

Do you do group tutoring? Can you also tutor my friend/sister

Yes and yes. I have taught small groups both in the classroom and on a private basis. Especially if you know this person well, it can be a fun atmosphere and work well. Same texts preferable but not essential; a lot of tutoring work is about form, structure, overcoming personal mental blocks and skill deficiencies etc. As with individual tutoring, simply get in touch with me and we will chat :)

Also I am more than happy to tutor multiple members of same family or friends, as I am currently doing.

Do you do free trials?

No, I don't. I understand why you may wish for a free trial, it's not unreasonable. I will give my time freely and (I hope) generously where I feel its needed, but its still very precious to me, therefore I don't believe in free trials. For the record, I have a very high retention rate (hard to be exact over the years but easily in excess of 90 per cent). I really enjoy tutoring and I like people, so I find I generally get to know and understand my students' thinking styles.

Conversely, I don't ever ask for more than a session in advance, so you are always welcome to pull out. I think its a bit unfair to ask you for a bigger commitment than that. HSC is super busy and stressful, so I try to be as flexible as I can with your time.

I am unsure about tutoring. Should I get it? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

This is highly personal. I am thrilled that there is now absolutely no stigma or concern attached to tutoring; whatever level you are at, I think getting tutoring is seen widely as a worthy, courageous and ambitious (in a good way) act.

However, while I basically can't see how tutoring - especially with a good tutor who understands you - can be negative, it may not be essential. A good tutor should obviously do more with you in a session than you could do yourself or with other resources (your parents, friends teacher, etc). I think to make it worthwhile, there needs to be a sufficient level of trust and leadership. However, this itself goes both ways - I find that while my preparation, the effort I take to consider where my student is struggling and find practical solutions etc is very important, it is the students who think how best they can use me as a resource and prepare who really shine and make huge progress.

I think if you are committed, fundamentally, (which is why I say I am not into 'on the fence' approaches), you will succeed in what you do and tutoring will enhance that greatly.

At the end of the day though, as you will find with many things now, its simply up to you. At worst, as I have said, I think tutoring can be a distraction and a waste of money for uncommitted students. But for the best it can totally transform your marks, ability and confidence.

My personal experience: In maths, my gregarious, funny and extremely talented maths tutor took me from just above average in my yr at 2U (I found maths tedious and couldn't see the point) to a high E4 in 3U. Much more important than that though, I really started to enjoy it, find confidence in it and relax - always nice in yr 12

Anyway enough ramble for now :p,

Thanks in advance to everyone for reading and being aware of these guidelines before getting in touch with me.

Also keep an eye on the QandA - http://community.boredofstudies.org...9659/english-advanced-qanda-slow-release.html - its going really well and I am enjoying the terrific feedback and intelligent questions - please keep them coming.

stay happy, be calm
Dave

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Free bump to someone awesome like Phaedrus900 who's helped out a lot of us on this forum

I am 100% sure he would make an amazing tutor and it's something you guys can't miss out on :)

roy23

HSC
N/A
Free bump to someone awesome like Phaedrus900 who's helped out a lot of us on this forum

I am 100% sure he would make an amazing tutor and it's something you guys can't miss out on :)
I strongly second this sentiment. Inspite of having to cope with law at usyd, Dave somehow manages to find time not just to tutor students but also offer free help to many people on this forum. He is one of the most altruistic and intelligent people I have had the pleasure of knowing. I would most certainly recommend him as a tutor.

phaedrus900

HSC
N/A
Thanks man, means a lot coming from you. Hope your tutoring is going as well as it always does! Your students are v lucky

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

phaedrus900

HSC
N/A
Hi all

I am currently taking on a couple of students for next term. Probably have 2-3 spaces. Also happy to take questions. As always shoot me an email at dblo7401@uni.sydney.edu.au, or give me a call or text after hours on 0405836941.

Cheers,
Dave

phaedrus900

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

Just a quick one - I have had a couple of students ask me whether I am willing to do limited sessions just to correct/mark/give feedback leading up to trials. The answer is YES. I am happy to do this short term stuff. My rate is same as my tutoring rate - $50 per hour. My only caveat is that you get in touch with me and we schedule in appropriate goals, as I can only do short turn around with notice; I am very busy.

Kind regards and best of luck to everyone! You are coming up to the home stretch now...

D

phaedrus900

HSC
N/A
Hello again -

Given the stresses of upcoming trials, I'd like to open the floor for a short time to any last minute questions or anxieties any of you might have. Feel free to post here - or you can pm or email me - and I will do my best to give you practical advice as quickly as possible.

Cheers,
Dave

phaedrus900

HSC
N/A
(Free) English Adv, Ext Trials and Ext 2 Submission Advice

Hi all,

As questions and concerns flood in from my students around this time of year, I am reminded of the extreme stress and heightened anxiety that Trials can cause. For that reason, for the next 3 weeks, I'd like to open the floor here and privately to you to ask any burning questions you might have and see if I can ease the path a little for you. Nothing is a basic/stupid/obvious or irrelevant question.

My email is dblo7401@uni.sydney.edu.au. If you are looking for something more substantial in the way of tutoring/marking, or just to find out a bit more about me and see some written Q and A, you can find it here:
http://community.boredofstudies.org...h-tutoring-why-you-need-me-2.html#post7177166

Thanks and all the best,
Dave

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Hey Phaedrus900

So sorry I wasn't here for a month and wasn't able to bump this :cry:

Here's the bump ;)

I hope next time whenever I'm absent, someone will be able to take over my duty of bumping people :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)