Extension English: Chances the question asks for 3 prescribed texts? (1 Viewer)

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
They could go "With reference to THREE prescribed texts and ONE related".

What are the chances of this. Ever happened before?

What would you do?

HSC
Bullshit they could do this. I would throw my shit on the ground and leave.

kirstyanne-xx

HSC
They usually say "texts of your own choosing", thus expecting you to be well read in other texts besides your prescribed, so I highly doubt this.

If they do, it's going to be massive essay of Austen, Bronte and Coleridge lol.

ReneeApple

HSC
I doubt they will. They've never done it before, and extension is more about the ideas associated with the texts than the texts themselves. They're going to want to see how you apply your understanding of the things you have learnt about these ideas rather than churning out ideas spoon fed to you by your teacher.

That being said, be prepared. BOS can be dicks.

princerehan

HSC
Very unlikely they would mate but with that said, after what they did with Advanced English and Extension Maths, it's possible that they can do anything.

I might just prepare some quotes from Night Letters in case they do.

Last edited:

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Very unlikely they would mate but with that said, after what they did with Advanced and Extension Maths, it's possible that they can do anything.

Bro, I need some notes on Night Letters...just in case! Lol

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
Very unlikely they would mate but with that said, after what they did with Advanced and Extension Maths, it's possible that they can do anything.

What'd they do in advanced maths?

Some Vunt

Banned
HSC
Sorry, meant Advanced English. There was nothing remotely hard about 2u lol
1. Yeah, I thought so. I was told it was fine.
2. I don't know why all of you complaining. It was very predictable imo. They did it in the Standard paper last year and none of the standard kids complained.

anexasaved

HSC
Bro, I need some notes on Night Letters...just in case! Lol
woah! You guys do Night Letter!? thats pretty cool, out of the minimal people across the state that do TD, i was convinced that we were the only class to do Night Letters ahaha!
What other texts does your school do?

And i really doubt they'd ask for THREE prescribed texts...they want you to demonstrate your knowledge on the module rather than the texts itself and therefore encourage reference to a wide variety of text out of the prescribed list. But if they do im sooo gone for Calvino haha =S

Askanison

HSC
I dont understand... arn't you supposed to have at least 3 prescribed anyway?

we do crime
with
-Inspector Hound
-the Skull beneath the skin
-Rear window

as prescribed

-Sherlock Holmes
-Rashamon
-The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
-Private Dicks and Fiesty Chicks (non-fiction)
as related

isnt that normal?????????

Gutterstomp

HSC
Yeah, we do TD but aren't rocking Night Letters. I really hope its not three, I would be screwed for Calvino and I'm not sure how well it would go down that one of my related texts is also by him, seeing as I wasn't even planning on using Winter's Night in an essay anyway.

Completely unrelated, I reckon smart money is on a picture for creative stimulus

anexasaved

HSC

we do crime
with
-Inspector Hound
-Rear window

as prescribed

-Sherlock Holmes
-Rashamon
as related

Yea doing 3 prescribed is normal, but they've NEVER asked for you to write about 3 in the HSC haha
Does your school learn related texts as well?

acemusic415

HSC

we do crime
with
-Inspector Hound
-Rear window

as prescribed

-Sherlock Holmes
-Rashamon
as related

They recommend 2 prescribed and 2 related (have 3 just in case).

anexasaved

HSC
Yeah, we do TD but aren't rocking Night Letters. I really hope its not three, I would be screwed for Calvino and I'm not sure how well it would go down that one of my related texts is also by him, seeing as I wasn't even planning on using Winter's Night in an essay anyway.

Completely unrelated, I reckon smart money is on a picture for creative stimulus
Haha, so you guys do Night Letter, Orlando and Calvino im assuming? =P
what school do you go to? we have the smallest class of around 12people doing it at Baulko.
mann i never really liked If on a Winters Night a Traveller, so i didnt learn it well/at all, so dw im in the same boat as you if they ask for 3!

And yup totally agree about the picture stimulus..should be interesting haha

Mjontrix

Premium Member
HSC
Bullshit they could do this. I would throw my shit on the ground and leave.
Actually just do the Creative and THEN throw my shit on the ground and then leave ;)

nah but for Romanticism at least since it's poems and the ideas just seem to progress and evolve it's not too hard to map out the Romantic concept

Gutterstomp

HSC
We *aren't* rocking Night Letters. So it's Calvino, Fowles and Orlando, which in all honesty isn't too awful, just don't really enjoy Winter's Night. I'm at Riverview, its roughly a top 40-50 school but we happened to have a teacher that is really good with the elective. Seeing as everyone else was doing after the bomb, decided to run with it. Very glad I did, we had 8 in the class so was good from that perspective. Would it be less than 100 yearly doing the elective you reckon?

anexasaved

HSC
Oh oops, my bad!
Umm im not too sure actually, i know Baulko, HGHS, Sydney Girls and Parra Marist run classes with it. And you guys :) But i think maybe with small classes in a bunch of other schools that i dont know about there'd be more that 100 =S nevertheless, it isnt a popular elective at all...which can be a good thing haha!
Also id reckon its the hardest Ext English elective they offer, so if you can do well in it then you're set! But thats probably another reason why its not so popular.
Our teacher is super good with it as well! Id think though that any teacher that wanted to teach TD would have to have a passion for the elective, so they'd all be good.

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
Along with 3 prescribed, I'm worried that BOS is going to trip us up with really hard questions. Considering what's happened with a lot of the exams this year, it seems like you have to be prepared for the worst. I'm doing crime and all of my texts are interconnected somehow in their themes... except one of my related texts which is pretty much conservative pro-eugenics bantering written in an archaic style, making it hard to remember lines from it.

Gutterstomp

HSC
Yeah man I agree totally, seeing as its a small cohort and arugably the hardest theoretically, you should end up getting aligned really well. I found that it actually helped me out really well with advanced too, helped in picking up some techniques and themes I wouldn't have otherwise been able to e.g. challennging a grand narrative.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)