Garrett considers banning plastic bags (3 Viewers)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
PLASTIC bags may be banned from Australia by the end of the year, under plans being considered by Environment Minister Peter Garrett.

The federal government is looking to either impose a levy on each bag, or ban the bags outright, according to Fairfax.

A spokesman for Mr Garrett said he would move to phase out the bags by the end of the year, after consulting with state governments in March.

Australia uses about four billion plastic bags a year, with most ending up in landfill.

The proposal has been lauded by environmentalists, but major supermarkets are against a ban.

"It's just a simplification to contemplate banning plastic bags just because people see them floating in the water," Australian Retailers Association executive director Richard Evans said.

A system of voluntary compliance would work better, according to Mr Evans.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23031272-1702,00.html

there goes making home made kites :eek:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Well... 4 billion plastic bags IS too many.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I'd emphasise the part which says that most end up in landfill. This is important, because people use them as garbage bags, and if they didn't exist people would just buy plastic(!) garbage bags to replace them.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I'd emphasise the part which says that most end up in landfill. This is important, because people use them as garbage bags, and if they didn't exist people would just buy plastic(!) garbage bags to replace them.
exactly what I was thinking

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
I'm willing to bet my left arm that the majority of plastic bags that are in a landfill aren't being used to hold rubbish.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
I'm willing to bet my left arm that the majority of plastic bags that are in a landfill aren't being used to hold rubbish.
Why are they there then? Why would people dump plastic bags on a large scale for any other reason?
The majority of people use plastic bags for their household rubbish. The majority of people dispose of relatively large amount of rubbish. Why would there be more plastic bags serving another purpose?

Edit: I obviously think the idea is stupid without an affordable, practical alternative way to dispose of household waste. Well, really I think it's stupid anyway.

HSC
What sort of a cheap family uses their used grocery bags on a regular basis to fill their rubbish bins? At my place we usually keep some, use some to pick up little bits of rubbish we've collected while putting the other food away, the rest just get thrown in the bin and un-used for anything more than the transportation from the store to our home.

Cerry

HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
What sort of a cheap family uses their used grocery bags on a regular basis to fill their rubbish bins? At my place we usually keep some, use some to pick up little bits of rubbish we've collected while putting the other food away, the rest just get thrown in the bin and un-used for anything more than the transportation from the store to our home.
We do it all the time. They're just the right size for a standard kitchen bin, and it means that you can just grab the bag, tie it off at the top, and chuck it in the wheelie bin on garbage night. Plus, it means that the bags get used more than once before they get thrown away.
I also always take a few with me on school excursions and stuff for bringing home wet towels etc.

kate_is_me

so hot right now...
HSC
youBROKEmyLIFE said:
Using the plastic bags from the supermarket for the rubbish bin is pretty common practice among most families I think.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
dieburndie said:
Why are they there then? Why would people dump plastic bags on a large scale for any other reason?
Um. Because they're what people call "waste"?

HSC
You guys must get higher quality shopping bags than we do... if we tried to use ours, any slightly liquid substance would pour out the bottom of it and if it got filled even slightly it would burst open.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
This is retarded because now I'll have to buy plastic bags instead.

Good work you fucking idiot, Garrett.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
While I think Liberals are all shithouse, I kinda hope the economy goes into recession (depression is also acceptable) and owns Rudd.

I live for schadenfreude. And I'm pretty certain everyone else does.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
kate_is_me said:
Using the plastic bags from the supermarket for the rubbish bin is pretty common practice among most families I think.
It still only accounts for like 10% of garbage bags received.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
jb_nc said:
This is retarded because now I'll have to buy plastic bags instead.

Good work you fucking idiot, Garrett.
That's the idea. It'll help regulate their use. People will probably still use them, but they'll think twice first, which I imagine could end up halving the number of bags used per year. 2 billion less bags is a very good thing.

They needn't cost much. Like with our compulsory voting, the fine is only 30$, but it increases turnout from 45% in other countries to 95% here. The price isn't important; what's important is that it's there.

Anyway, those green meshy bags you can buy at Coles and the like are better. They don't break all over the fucking place and spill your shit.

Last edited:

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
jb_nc said:
While I think Liberals are all shithouse, I kinda hope the economy goes into recession (depression is also acceptable) and owns Rudd.

I live for schadenfreude. And I'm pretty certain everyone else does.
Truth.

I'd like this to be implemented just to see extremely poor bogan customers at work go insane at me when I can't put their stuff in a free plastic bag anymore :D

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i think a ban is stupid, but a small levy is a sensible idea, people can be so wastefull with their plastic bags sometimes, seriously, sometimes people ask for them for a few packets of smokes or whatever.

so i agree with a levy, orrr, alternatively, investment in finding development of non-crappy 100% biodegradable plastic bags

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)