• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

GENERAL BIO DISCUSSION (2 Viewers)

nsw..wollongong

HSC
talk abt cystic fibrosis --> infectious --> use crispr-cas9 tech to prevent it from even being expressed upon birth
and talk abt diabetes --> non-infectious --> gene cloning tech to produce masses of insulin in bacteria to manage insulin levels in diabetic patients

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
talk abt cystic fibrosis --> infectious --> use crispr-cas9 tech to prevent it from even being expressed upon birth
and talk abt diabetes --> non-infectious --> gene cloning tech to produce masses of insulin in bacteria to manage insulin levels in diabetic patients
cystic fibrosis isnt infectious

nsw..wollongong

HSC
thats kinda a weak example. Id use genetic engineering/crispr and malaria, to create genetically modified mosquitos who cant act as vectors
idk i think i did this question before and did well bc cystic fibrosis patients can also spread other bacterial/viral diseases to non-CF individuals due to their thick mucus being ideal for growth of pathogens

Unovan

ATAR loading...
HSC
Share your intricate knowledge with us
UV radiation causes mutation by making thymine dimers, does that mean that it induces a point mutation from an adenine base to a thymine base? Or does it mean its misaligning the dna strands im a bit confused

[Blank]

[Blank]
HSC
Uni Grad
UV radiation causes mutation by making thymine dimers, does that mean that it induces a point mutation from an adenine base to a thymine base? Or does it mean its misaligning the dna strands im a bit confused
Speaking of UV radiation, I have a biology question that has lead me to come up with some theories to do with how the laws of physics can be playing on our world in secret that we’ve yet to realise.

The question I have first of all, is this:
Is there a way to convert UVB from the sun into vitamin D3 while also protecting one’s self from the negative side effects of UVB such as the potential of skin cancer or unwanted tanning?
Sunscreen blocks a substantial amount of UVB, and as a result, vitamin D3 isn’t produced by the skin as much, so how do you go about keeping a well rounded balance between these two things?

[Note: UVB is UV rays but “type B”.]

Eventually, my question got deeper and deeper, so below is the thought process I copy and pasted from a diary entry of sorts that I’ve made:

“Also, what other transactions does the surface level exchange between the body and UVBs exist? Is it JUST the protein in the skin responsible for creating vitamin D3 and radiation protection??

And then I also have a question regarding UVA, as for what sort of transactions exist there as well, and why has there been specifically two different classes of UV rays, rather than potentially an infinite amount of natural variations to come from the sun.

Also, are these UV rays from the sun filtered or CONVERTED by the Earth’s atmosphere, or does the sun literally only shoot out two types of UVs??!
If it’s a matter of filtration and conversion, then what’s responsible for it??!!

I HAVE TOO MANY QUESTIONS!!!!

Oh, the conversation possibly gave me an idea:
What if there’s a way for subatomic particles to have their own filtration or conversion system at the QUANTUM level?
For example, what if the UV rays actually hit a quantum field that we aren’t yet aware of is surrounding the atmosphere of the planet, and THAT’S what’s influencing the wavelength and level of energy to meet a specific requirement before it enters our atmosphere, since it could be chaotic and distorted by the different types of extreme radiation of our solar system’s space.
But then that also poses another possibility: just how chaotic and complex is the radiation outside of our solar system? I’m talking about specifically COSMIC radiation, the one that our sun protects our planets from.”

synthesisFR

HSC
Speaking of UV radiation, I have a biology question that has lead me to come up with some theories to do with how the laws of physics can be playing on our world in secret that we’ve yet to realise.

The question I have first of all, is this:
Is there a way to convert UVB from the sun into vitamin D3 while also protecting one’s self from the negative side effects of UVB such as the potential of skin cancer or unwanted tanning?
Sunscreen blocks a substantial amount of UVB, and as a result, vitamin D3 isn’t produced by the skin as much, so how do you go about keeping a well rounded balance between these two things?

[Note: UVB is UV rays but “type B”.]

Eventually, my question got deeper and deeper, so below is the thought process I copy and pasted from a diary entry of sorts that I’ve made:

“Also, what other transactions does the surface level exchange between the body and UVBs exist? Is it JUST the protein in the skin responsible for creating vitamin D3 and radiation protection??

And then I also have a question regarding UVA, as for what sort of transactions exist there as well, and why has there been specifically two different classes of UV rays, rather than potentially an infinite amount of natural variations to come from the sun.

Also, are these UV rays from the sun filtered or CONVERTED by the Earth’s atmosphere, or does the sun literally only shoot out two types of UVs??!
If it’s a matter of filtration and conversion, then what’s responsible for it??!!

I HAVE TOO MANY QUESTIONS!!!!

Oh, the conversation possibly gave me an idea:
What if there’s a way for subatomic particles to have their own filtration or conversion system at the QUANTUM level?
For example, what if the UV rays actually hit a quantum field that we aren’t yet aware of is surrounding the atmosphere of the planet, and THAT’S what’s influencing the wavelength and level of energy to meet a specific requirement before it enters our atmosphere, since it could be chaotic and distorted by the different types of extreme radiation of our solar system’s space.
But then that also poses another possibility: just how chaotic and complex is the radiation outside of our solar system? I’m talking about specifically COSMIC radiation, the one that our sun protects our planets from.”
who summoned this buffoon
Jk

[Blank]

[Blank]
HSC
Uni Grad
Hello!
Balanced diet?
- helloworld!
Yeah, I guess getting vitamin D from food can work, I’d just be hard to not be deficient of your only going to use that as a source for vitamin D.
I would love to be in the sun often, but my pale skin is now as BLACK as can be.

Australian sun man…

- [Blank]
Edit: I’m not racist, I’m just emphasising my skin colour’s drastic change.

helloworld!

HSC
Yeah, I guess getting vitamin D from food can work, I’d just be hard to not be deficient of your only going to use that as a source for vitamin D.
I would love to be in the sun often, but my pale skin is now as BLACK as can be.

Australian sun man…

- [Blank]
Haha, I wouldn't be able to relate to that. Even though I'm not as pale, I burn easily out in the sun. I agree, it would be quite difficult relying on your diet for Vitamin D. Sun (in moderation) is also important. Also, isn't it just crazy that something so very far away has such power over such small things such as humans? A literal explosion in the middle of nowhere in space?

- helloworld!

[Blank]

[Blank]
HSC
Uni Grad
Also, isn't it just crazy that something so very far away has such power over such small things such as humans? A literal explosion in the middle of nowhere in space?

- helloworld!
I always feel scared when I think about that. It’s the equivalent of feeling like you’re going to fall upwards forever.

However, it gave me an idea that I wish was real for us:
What would it be like if we could see the centre of the universe with our naked eye, and it’s so large despite being hundreds of billions of light years away, that we could see more details from it than the surface of our moon.

It’s be like seeing the world tree, god, or literally anything from Dark Souls or Elden Ring irl.
The whole world would have started the space race the moment human consciousness was birthed, because it’s just too attention grabbing.

helloworld!

HSC
I always feel scared when I think about that. It’s the equivalent of feeling like you’re going to fall upwards forever.

However, it gave me an idea that I wish was real for us:
What would it be like if we could see the centre of the universe with our naked eye, and it’s so large despite being hundreds of billions of light years away, that we could see more details from it than the surface of our moon.

It’s be like seeing the world tree, god, or literally anything from Dark Souls or Elden Ring irl.
The whole world would have started the space race the moment human consciousness was birthed, because it’s just too attention grabbing.
*inhales*
DUDE YOU ARE SO MY VIBE!!!!!!!
*exhales*

helloworld!

HSC
See this is quite interesting. There is no theoretical proof that the centre of the universe exists, yet one's intuition can't be blamed. Not in the face of theories such as 'the big crunch' and the resulting hyper-expansion resulting in the creation of a new universe yet again. I'd like to extend this to black holes, though.
Also, have you heard of the Fermi Paradox? It is such an interesting marriage of space science and philosophy; highly recommend reading into it.

[Blank]

[Blank]
HSC
Uni Grad
See this is quite interesting. There is no theoretical proof that the centre of the universe exists, yet one's intuition can't be blamed. Not in the face of theories such as 'the big crunch' and the resulting hyper-expansion resulting in the creation of a new universe yet again. I'd like to extend this to black holes, though.
Also, have you heard of the Fermi Paradox? It is such an interesting marriage of space science and philosophy; highly recommend reading into it.
I of course don’t have definite answers, but I am certain that this isn’t the first big bang.
I could go into detail about how dark matter is faster than light simply because something that has already reached its destination will always be faster than anything that is approaching it, but I think that would only apply to quantum physics and cosmic consciousness, not big bangs.

hmmm…

Whatever it is that started everything the first time, we can quite literally consider it as alien, otherworldly, Devine, but consideration is all we can do.

We know what certain things do and the consequences of such laws, but we don’t know why they happen nor the laws to the laws of physics themselves.

This is something that we’ve yet to even come up with methods for tackling yet, so I’d say, everything is just a big mystery.

No matter the explanation we may have, we still ultimately know nothing, and that’s honestly exciting to me, because no matter how much you ‘grow up’, you can literally decide right now in this instant to START playing the game, and you will always discover and explore new things without it feeling repetitive, no matter actively repetitive it objectively gets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)