• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

General Maths and Standard English (1 Viewer)

HSC
general maths is not even considered to be maths at all, not only is the subject a joke but also its content.

allira92

HSC
Advanced and standard english are essentially the same course. Advanced classes generally use more deeper texts that relate to the concept which give them a greater scope for information while standard tend to use texts with less depth.

so yeah, i would say that Standard > Gen maths

gracee09

HSC
i think that some people just have trouble understanding maths. you get people who can "read numbers" and then you get people who struggle with basic division or whatever.

i did mathematics for a month but struggled with it because the teacher was the more or less "figure it out for yourself" kind of guy. i dropped to general and found not only was it easier and the teacher a LOAD more helpful but i found i could actually use this stuff in life (or my career choice). and for people who stuck with mathematics at my school, the highest mark for the yr 11 yearly was about 68%.....

as for english i'm still trying to find out why is it compulsory...and because it is, maybe we should be taught the basics of grammar over again because its commonly known that many students still have trouble with spelling etc.

and i'm also over the whole HSC idea..we do 13 years of learning and it all comes down to one exam...... glad to get that off my chest lol

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
That's because General Maths is geared towards real life applications.

allira92

HSC
i did mathematics for a month but struggled with it because the teacher was the more or less "figure it out for yourself" kind of guy. i dropped to general and found not only was it easier and the teacher a LOAD more helpful but i found i could actually use this stuff in life (or my career choice). and for people who stuck with mathematics at my school, the highest mark for the yr 11 yearly was about 68%.....
exactly the same situation at my school the 3 and 4 unit maths teacher is good, Gen has the best and the 2 unit is the worst

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
They're adjectives not prefixes.
That's the word I was looking for!

Too late to change it now...

And on Maths, the 2u teacher is also the 3u and 4u teacher. Which is good, as it means consistency - and it also means we can use 2u class time to finish 3u/4u work, legally.

caitlinjade92

HSC
i do both those subjects :S
general maths is stupid, i guess its meant to apply to real life. and i did drop to it from 2unit<- this was just to hard
standard english is different as no analysing which in advanced you do, i dropped to standard from adv. as well.,, mainly cause i couldnt get along with my teacher so in turn i didnt learn a thing.

Arceupins

Banned
HSC
Some of the stuff we're doing in general maths we learned in our year 6 extension maths class.

It's horribly easy.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
i used to think anyone could do 3u. But then i saw alot of dumb people, who given the forumla and still couldnt get the marks. Maybe not 3u but aleast 2u, everyone can do.

The state's average in general maths is 41/100 go figure.

bob fossil

HSC
i used to think anyone could do 3u. But then i saw alot of dumb people, who given the forumla and still couldnt get the marks. Maybe not 3u but aleast 2u, everyone can do.

The state's average in general maths is 41/100 go figure.
If they cant even read a formular they must not be putting much work in at all.

If you really wanna do 3 unit you have to put the work in.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
If they cant even read a formular they must not be putting much work in at all.

If you really wanna do 3 unit you have to put the work in.
Actually some people put in the work but still don't get great marks in GENERAL marks.

Some people just aren't meant to do maths....

But i do believe that everyone can do 2U if they try hard enough.

kyokaku92

HSC
What's with the over-generalisation of g-unit maths is crap? Not everyone is brilliant at maths. I did 3U maths in Yr 11 and I was overwhelmed by the workload, did too much maths for very very mediocre results which = shit ranking, completely neglected my other subjects including my music and became very prone to extreme irritation and utter frustration at trying to do the harder questions (I also hated having double periods of maths). Thank god I dropped it :)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
coz general maths scales bad
and some people just don't understand how maths is hard

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Double periods of maths? Stop complaining. I have three consecutive periods of maths every Tuesday.

1:30 - 2:25 : Mathematics
2:25 - 3:20 : Mathematics Extension 1
3:30 - 4:30 : Mathematics Extension 2

We get a ten minute break in between, luckily. Although we have to make up for it with extra time until 4:30...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)