• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

General Maths and Standard English (1 Viewer)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Double periods of maths? Stop complaining. I have three consecutive periods of maths every Tuesday.

1:30 - 2:25 : Mathematics
2:25 - 3:20 : Mathematics Extension 1
3:30 - 4:30 : Mathematics Extension 2

We get a ten minute break in between, luckily. Although we have to make up for it with extra time until 4:30...
I had a day in my fortnightly timetable with quadruple maths... i had maths period 4, lunch and then a double 2 periods 5 and 6 and then 1.25hrs of maths after school =='

shady145

Banned
HSC
I had a day in my fortnightly timetable with quadruple maths... i had maths period 4, lunch and then a double 2 periods 5 and 6 and then 1.25hrs of maths after school =='
>.>
i also had a day that went like this... MX2(before school for an hour), sport, sport, english, 2u maths, Mx1, Mx1 after school for an hour
and if it rained and sport got cancelled 2u maths and english wouldtake sports place... this happened twice throuhout the year... 5 hours of maths XD

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
>.>
i also had a day that went like this... MX2(before school for an hour), sport, sport, english, 2u maths, Mx1, Mx1 after school for an hour
and if it rained and sport got cancelled 2u maths and english wouldtake sports place... this happened twice throuhout the year... 5 hours of maths XD
Ahahaha that would've been one good day if you really were in the mood for maths ^^

Schoey93

HSC
I still believe that anyone can do 3 unit maths if they really want to.
Mathematics Extension 1 is a difficult course. 3 units is 180 h p.a. That's a lot of time. Choosing a 3-unit subject also limits your choice of other subjects, because it means that, if your school has a limit on the amount of units you can study, you have less units left to choose than if you chose Mathematics alone.

I disagree than "anyone can do 3 unit maths if they really want to" because, for a start, there are people who are born with genetic diseases such as Down's Syndrome, which limits their intellectual capacity and there is nothing in this day and age that can be done about it. Maybe in fifty years time we will have gene therapy that cures Down's Syndrome, but we don't yet.

Next, I assume by "anyone can do 3 unit maths" you meant that they can do it and do reasonably well at it, not just do it and flunk it. Learning in mathematics is progressive, so if a person has not been trying since Year 6 and has missed out on learning many key concepts, they are clearly not going to succeed in Mathematics Extension.

Finally, I would like to say that: General Mathematics is not "a sorry excuse for a subject". Studying it teaches students mathematical skills that have direct application to everyday activity, so it is a very useful subject for people who do not plan to continue studying mathematics outside of high school, or who wish to study accounting, economics, business or design.

Of course someone who studies Mathematics Extension 1 and Extension 2 or university mathematics as a major discipline would generally believe that General Mathematics is a sorry excuse for a subject. That doesn't mean it is though.

Last edited:

bob fossil

HSC
I disagree than "anyone can do 3 unit maths if they really want to" because, for a start, there are people who are born with genetic diseases such as Down's Syndrome, which limits their intellectual capacity and there is nothing in this day and age that can be done about it. Maybe in fifty years time we will have gene therapy that cures Down's Syndrome, but we don't yet.

Next, I assume by "anyone can do 3 unit maths" you meant that they can do it and do reasonably well at it, not just do it and flunk it. Learning in mathematics is progressive, so if a person has not been trying since Year 6 and has missed out on learning many key concepts, they are clearly not going to succeed in Mathematics Extension.

Come on do you really think i was talking about people with Downs syndrome?

If you really wanted to do 3 unit maths a tutor could easily catch you up to 5.3 standard over the break over summer bettwen year 10 and 11.

I put about 8 hours through the week into 4 unit maths, if anyone did that for 3 unit a believe they would pass pretty easily.

A lot of people who study for hours and hours every week are studying the worng stuff, thats why they get stressed and fail. All you have to do is cover the dot points which arnt to hard when broken down and 3 unit is achieveable for anyone ( except very small minority gorups)

addikaye03

The A-Team
HSC
Do atleast Mathematics and Advanced English, trust me, it's the best advice you will ever get. I did standard and got 87 HSC mark in it. The Advanced teacher (HSC marker) thought that i should have chosen Advanced and thought i would have got about 93 in Advanced.

Standard scales like a piece of shit, (something like 17.6) where advanced scales much better (30.2)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Finally, I would like to say that: General Mathematics is not "a sorry excuse for a subject". Studying it teaches students mathematical skills that have direct application to everyday activity, so it is a very useful subject for people who do not plan to continue studying mathematics outside of high school, or who wish to study accounting, economics, business or design.
It's a useful subject if your not continuing your mathematical education i.e. getting a job after year 12 or pursuing an Arts or Law or degree.

It's utterly useless studies in university that include Commerce, Business, Science, Accounting, Engineering etc. as they use fairly complex Mathematics and it is very difficult going from simplifying 2x +3y +x +4y in one year and doing hardcore calculus the next year in uni.

HSC
Come on do you really think i was talking about people with Downs syndrome?

If you really wanted to do 3 unit maths a tutor could easily catch you up to 5.3 standard over the break over summer bettwen year 10 and 11.

I put about 8 hours through the week into 4 unit maths, if anyone did that for 3 unit a believe they would pass pretty easily.

A lot of people who study for hours and hours every week are studying the worng stuff, thats why they get stressed and fail. All you have to do is cover the dot points which arnt to hard when broken down and 3 unit is achieveable for anyone ( except very small minority gorups)
sorry i spoke to my mum who actually is a maths teacher about how "anyone could do 3 unit maths"
she laughed and said thats completly unrealistic and down right stupid.
not everybody can think mathematically. i know theres alot of stuff in 3u maths that i found difficult. i couldnt do alot of that manipulation bullshit. you have to be able to actually apply it, not just learning the dot points like you say.
obviously you are probably mathematically orientated, you need to understand not EVERYONE is.

bob fossil

HSC
sorry i spoke to my mum who actually is a maths teacher about how "anyone could do 3 unit maths"
she laughed and said thats completly unrealistic and down right stupid.
not everybody can think mathematically. i know theres alot of stuff in 3u maths that i found difficult. i couldnt do alot of that manipulation bullshit. you have to be able to actually apply it, not just learning the dot points like you say.
obviously you are probably mathematically orientated, you need to understand not EVERYONE is.

Apply it enough times and you will learn the application

Schoey93

HSC
Do atleast Mathematics and Advanced English, trust me, it's the best advice you will ever get. I did standard and got 87 HSC mark in it. The Advanced teacher (HSC marker) thought that i should have chosen Advanced and thought i would have got about 93 in Advanced.

Standard scales like a piece of shit, (something like 17.6) where advanced scales much better (30.2)
I disagree. Not everyone should do both Mathematics and English (Advanced). Mathematics is a difficult course, plus it's not even needed for physiotherapy (despite what course guides say) and courses like it. Universities offer introductory mathematics subjects that are either worth 0 cp or count towards your degree.

Forcing everyone to do English (Advanced) would be stupid, even if everyone CHOSE to do Advanced, that in itself would still be stupid. Many people find the texts offered for study in English (Standard) more interesting, e.g. in Year 11 at my school: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (English Standard) vs. Tess of the D'urbervilles by Thomas Hardy (English Advanced).

I don't mind Tess, by Harper Lee's work is the best book I have ever read and probably the best book ever written.

bob fossil

HSC
are you fucking retarded? clearly you do not understand that maths is not everyone's forte.

you dont have to be a natural to do anygood.

10 hours a week plus classes and anyone can do it.

im shithouse at english but im sure i could be very good at it if i was doing 2 hours everynight.

kyokaku92

HSC
you dont have to be a natural to do anygood.

10 hours a week plus classes and anyone can do it.

im shithouse at english but im sure i could be very good at it if i was doing 2 hours everynight.
I'm pretty sure people have other things to do in their life apart from maths and as possessionless pointed out, not everyone is strong at maths (I sure ain't- that's why I dropped 3U). I'd much rather spend 10hrs a week altogether on my piano practice or my other subjects or sport or computer games than maths.

bob fossil

HSC
I'm pretty sure people have other things to do in their life apart from maths and as possessionless pointed out, not everyone is strong at maths (I sure ain't- that's why I dropped 3U). I'd much rather spend 10hrs a week altogether on my piano practice or my other subjects or sport or computer games than maths.

Yeah I can only do that kinda study for MX2 but i'm not saying it would be enjoyable just possible.

kyokaku92

HSC
Yeah I can only do that kinda study for MX2 but i'm not saying it would be enjoyable just possible.
Only if you have the discipline, the tolerance, the motivation and the enjoyment at doing equations, equations, equations then yes it is possible, however there are other things everyone can do besides maths study

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)