General Maths and Standard English (1 Viewer)

HSC
ummm we didnt write essays every second day. and I was one of the highest in advanced english.
and no thanks I don't need your tutition, my mums a maths teacher!

hey I'm not sure if It's like this at other schools but at my school if you didnt do stage 5.3 (advanced) in year 9 and 10 maths, they don't really allow you to do 2u maths or higher. You have to take some workshop thing....are all schools like this?
in my school, anyone in either advanced and intermediate in yr 10 are able to 3-unit xD

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
The states average for general maths is 41%, General maths is a sorry excuse for a subject. I think most people should blame the board of studies. They should have introduced the basics of calculus in year10, i think more kids are stocked at the sight of calculus (thats when most go down to general) and go "wtf is happening, i m confused, time to drop"

bob fossil

HSC
The states average for general maths is 41%, General maths is a sorry excuse for a subject. I think most people should blame the board of studies. They should have introduced the basics of calculus in year10, i think more kids are stocked at the sight of calculus (thats when most go down to general) and go "wtf is happening, i m confused, time to drop"

Its average is crap becasuse i large amount of people don't put the work in.

kyokaku92

HSC
That's what happens when the BOS is run by Labor. I agree differentiation should've been introduced in yr 10 because it's a completely new concept.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I mean you would have to take this to an extream. As in going from no study to 2 hours + a day.
I went 0->2 hours a day. Now I do 3 a day for Maths. Fun! Also in my school if you don't fail the Year 10 Yearly you do 3U, if you do fail, 2U unless you only failed by a bit, which case 3U trial (fail in Year 11= drop to 2U]).

bob fossil

HSC
I went 0->2 hours a day. Now I do 3 a day for Maths. Fun! Also in my school if you don't fail the Year 10 Yearly you do 3U, if you do fail, 2U unless you only failed by a bit, which case 3U trial (fail in Year 11= drop to 2U]).

smart school

kyokaku92

HSC
What school is this? Because at mine if you weren't in the top 5 maths classes you had to get band 5 in SC to get into 3U

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Differentiation isn't that hard. My teacher drew a graph on the board, and then he goes "I'm going to graph the gradient of this graph", and did that. We were all 'Okay...', and then that's how he showed us differentiation.

Integration might be a different story. I've heard it's "chopping up a bit under the curve into an infitesimal amount of pieces, finding the area of all of them and adding them up". That sounds fine.

It all depends how you're introduced to it. If my teacher just went "Differentiation" and starts doing dy/dx, and all that jazz - I'd be shocked too.

Maybe the teachers...?

Dyllip

HSC
Person 1: I found Biology incredibly easy, what a sorry excuse for a subject.

Person 2: I found Chemistry incredibly easy, what a sorry excuse for a subject.

Person 3: I found Economics incredibly easy, what a sorry excuse for a subject.

Person 4: I found Ancient History incredibly easy, what a sorry excuse for a subject.

This is basically the same thing you people are all saying.

Just because all of you find it General Maths and Std English easy, doesn't mean it's a sorry excuse for a subject...sorry....

bob fossil

HSC
Person 1: I found Biology incredibly easy, what a sorry excuse for a subject.

Person 2: I found Chemistry incredibly easy, what a sorry excuse for a subject.

Person 3: I found Economics incredibly easy, what a sorry excuse for a subject.

Person 4: I found Ancient History incredibly easy, what a sorry excuse for a subject.

This is basically the same thing you people are all saying.

Just because all of you find it General Maths and Std English easy, doesn't mean it's a sorry excuse for a subject...sorry....

How can you compare general maths to chemistry?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
We're not saying they're sorry excuses because they are easy - we're complaining that the content is so basic.

Econ is an extension of Yr 10 Commerce, Chemistry and Biology and Physics sprout from Yr10 Science. General Maths is an extension of... Year 7-9 maths.

bob fossil

HSC
We're not saying they're sorry excuses because they are easy - we're complaining that the content is so basic.

Econ is an extension of Yr 10 Commerce, Chemistry and Biology and Physics sprout from Yr10 Science. General Maths is an extension of... Year 7-9 maths.
General maths <=> 5.3 maths ?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
No, 5.3 students are the Extension material.

5.2 students are the Mathematics and 5.1 should technically be General. Although I think they should at least try Mathematics.

Dyllip

HSC
I see what your saying. Well people like me need to have the opportunity to repeat 7-9 maths. I started off very bad in high school. I had perfect vision in year 6 and at the beginning of year 8 my vision deteriorated so I couldn't see the blackboard and so did not do any work until I got glasses in year 9, then my vision got rapidly worse again! And I didn't get new glasses until year 10. And what a difference it made! I went from 156/178 in maths in year 9 to 45/150 in year 10. But by then it was too late for me to understand basic 2U maths so I chose general and now that I can excel in all the general topics I wish I could go back in time and choose 2U :(. Now I have to go to bed because I have my first General Maths exam tomorrow on basic algebra, right angled trig and financial maths, Night xD.

bob fossil

HSC
No, 5.3 students are the Extension material.

5.2 students are the Mathematics and 5.1 should technically be General. Although I think they should at least try Mathematics.

Talking about the content. What is a harder course General maths or 5.3 year 10 maths?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)