General Thoughts: Biology (1 Viewer)

KateSinead

HSC
We'll see. I trust you on the past papers because I only managed about 4. Although I'm sure that the gaps can't really support punctuated equilibrium; thinking about it though, Darwin did use it to prove his theory which included gradualism... so its definitely posibble.
Textbook I've used throughout the year says that the reason punctuated equilibrium was suggested was because of the gaps. Fossils were formed mainly during the equilibium periods, as there was little change and lasted for longs periods of time which resulted in higher chance of fossils being formed. And the gaps are when rapid change occured, where there wasn't much chance for fossils to be made.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I talked about:
-Enzymes
-Enzymes increasing our understanding of biology
-How our increased understanding of belonging led to developments against disease/antibiotics
-Darwins theory of evolution leading to evolution in bacterial pathogens
-Golden staph
-Then I made a judgement that the continued development and widespread use of antibiotics had the potential to have negative implications for society as super bugs may develop from this then we all pretty much may die.
I spoke about:
Enzymes activity and understanding had allowed us to treat such disease.
Biochemistry had allowed us to see the differences in amino acids in the pathogenic bacterium's enzymes and ours so we could attack that part.
Knowledge of mutations allowed us to create such fungus
Antibiotics and Staphylococcus aureus.
Some other fun stuff too.
It was pretty shit, but I think I showed enough to get 5-6.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
We'll see. I trust you on the past papers because I only managed about 4. Although I'm sure that the gaps can't really support punctuated equilibrium; thinking about it though, Darwin did use it to prove his theory which included gradualism... so its definitely posibble.
It's punctuated equilibrium.

-Jonny

HSC
What stuff did people talk about in the last 7 marker question?
- I talked about how biological advancements in identifying cause of disease (Pasteur/Koch) allowed treatments to be developed such as antibiotics (first developed by Fleming - penicillin) --> overall better health for society.
- Then I talked about Beadle/Tatum and their 'one gene-one polypeptide' hypothesis and how this proved that the mutation of a gene causes different proteins to be produced and therefore different alleles --> new traits. Thus, by irradiating the fungus, the new traits are beneficial for society as it can cure bacterial diseases.
- Then I bs'd the rest about enzymes... :)
I wasn't exactly sure how to explain the enzyme stuff it gave, but I tried anyway.
I talked about
- enzymes and related them to optimal and denaturing features or something
- radiation that lead to mutation, relating it the fungi
- biochemistry knowledge, linking to the amino acids
- penecillin
-impact on society
-fused the ideas together

Overall I thought it was a pretty difficult paper, looking further into skills and understanding rather than just memorising certain things. Expecting around 95+ RAW

bigbirdbanana

HSC
did you relate it back to the question a lot? Not as in the actual question, but the stimulus about the fungus.
Just in the first half of my answer, but I only really used it to say that the development of antibiotics like this help blah blah blah, so I used it as an example/starting point. I don't think you need to refer to it too much :)

2011_

HSC
Guys if you want to see the short answer questions again I think someone has posted them in another thread in this Bio exam thoughts section.

1981Grant

HSC
I spoke about:
Enzymes activity and understanding had allowed us to treat such disease.
Biochemistry had allowed us to see the differences in amino acids in the pathogenic bacterium's enzymes and ours so we could attack that part.
Knowledge of mutations allowed us to create such fungus
Antibiotics and Staphylococcus aureus.
Some other fun stuff too.
It was pretty shit, but I think I showed enough to get 5-6.
Yeah man. I think I got 19/20 for Multiple choice. I can only think of 3 possible marks that I dropped for core. I think I got everything for communication, perhaps I might lose a mark about the role of dendrites but I had everything else downpat.

premiumcbc

HSC
na actually thats wrong.. lots of the trial papers last year used this as a trick question.
Even though punctuated equilibrium is short bursts of evolutionary changes and then long terms of stability, the reason why this backed up is because the fossil record is incomplete and so some scientists go with the other theory. Because otherwise the fossil record supports darwins gradualism, hence the answer was a,
In actual fact, you are wrong. The fossil record being incomplete provides no evidence at all, and if you read your textbook correctly you'd see that there is fossil evidence to prove punctuated equilibrium. The horseshoe crabs if you'd like an example. The fact that the fossil record is incomplete makes it hard to determine that rate of evolution, but does not give weight to punctuated equilibrium.

effylove

carpe vinum
HSC
Re: 2011 HSC Biology Paper

Also, 17, I was tossing up between C & D.
I went with C, as it said a pair of alleles, so i assumed it had to be the same letter B & b.
thoughts?

Dylanamali

HSC
Yeah man. I think I got 19/20 for Multiple choice. I can only think of 3 possible marks that I dropped for core. I think I got everything for communication, perhaps I might lose a mark about the role of dendrites but I had everything else downpat.
gg state rank, right here.
top 10 school?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad

I'm posting here first so I can edit this after I do the exam with my very valuable knowledge and a scan of the exam. (option topic and multiple choice) I will attempt to steal an entire copy but no promises.

MC

OPTIONS:
Communication:

Biotechnology:

Genetics:

The Human Story

Biochemistry

I did a really quick scan...

-Jonny

HSC

I went with C, as it said a pair of alleles, so i assumed it had to be the same letter B & b.
thoughts?
It was codominance, and hence D.

Dylanamali

HSC

thoughts?

if its B and b, then the kids would be BB, Bb, Bb and bb, as seen in the diagram..
however conventionally different sized letters relate to a dominant/recessive trait.
Therefore BB, Bb and Bb were also display the same phenotype - but if you look at the pedigree, this is not supported, thus its D, in which the traits are AB - and thus co dominant.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I lost soooo much in the core. I feel so stupid, I know I could've done A LOT better. :/

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
gg state rank, right here.
top 10 school?
My friend, who was sitting in front of me (annoying the shit out of me with all the extra booklets he used. I only used 4) probably got 17 in MC, full marks in the rest. He has Economics now too. State rank right there.

Memi

HSC
N/A
I kept alternating between Cytotoxic and Killer T's, then eventually chose killer T cells >_< I was always taught that they were exactly the same.

Dylanamali

HSC

you seem to have done preety well in MC's riproot IMO 18/20, according to my results, but maybe 17/20 according to others..
I think question 8 was a little dodgy.. asking students to differentiate between killer T cells and cytotoxic T cells..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)