General Thoughts: Chemistry (1 Viewer)

MonsterMe

HSC
im not a troll, i go to james ruse
and im coming 2nd
so i think im going to get state rank
Right. Well I meant what you said about just 'doing a couple of other elective questions for extra marks'. AHahaha doesn't really seem really legitimately that'd you'd be expecting state rank. But hey, if you do then congrats and well done?

traiwit

HSC
Uni Grad
Ok thanks..one more question (to anyone).. for the electrochemical cell question where u had to talk about the collaboration of scientists, was it ok to use the mercury cell as an electrochemical cell, cos I noticed most ppl were using lead-acid cell :/
I was fked in this question, i talked about dry cell
And analytical, environmental chemist and chemical engineering
Totally bullshit lolololol

puffyjellyfish

HSC
Can I just ask, for the question about the need for collaboration for reverse or minimize environmental concerns in relation to a electrochemical cell is it still correct if I talked about the mercury process (its covered in the industrial option topic). The wiki definition states that electrochemical cell is "device capable of either deriving electrical energy from chemical reactions, or facilitating chemical reactions through the introduction of electrical energy.". So I suppose my approach satisfies the latter definition?

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Can I just ask, for the question about the need for collaboration for reverse or minimize environmental concerns in relation to a electrochemical cell is it still correct if I talked about the mercury process (its covered in the industrial option topic). The wiki definition states that electrochemical cell is "device capable of either deriving electrical energy from chemical reactions, or facilitating chemical reactions through the introduction of electrical energy.". So I suppose my approach satisfies the latter definition?
You're answering the CORE topics, it's possible that you get 0 because the core topics specifically tell us what cells to use.

deswa

HSC
For the eutrophication question, I don't think DO/BOD is enough personally- I mentioned this quickly but I think you have to go into nitrate/phosphate tests (like colorimetry, Kjeldahl method etc.). Just my two cents though

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah as Someth1ng mentioned, those are anions. So there is no other feasible way of determining their concentration other than Colourimetry (Or Gravimetric Analysis but lol). Algal blooms do use up DO but they are not the sole reason that levels in DO decrease; large amounts of waste in water, increase in temp etc. So, it's alright but I don't think you'll get full marks.
Can't you use colorimetry to measure nitrogen and phosphorous?

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
Can't you use colorimetry to measure nitrogen and phosphorous?
Oh, no you can't. Colorimetry is used specifically for phosphates. It works as the ion reacts with Ascorbic Acid and Ammonium Molybdate to form a blue complex which is used to measure the concentration. And nitrogen and phosphorous don't really contribute to Algal Bloom growth.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha well there's goes another few marks for me

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh, no you can't. Colorimetry is used specifically for phosphates. It works as the ion reacts with Ascorbic Acid and Ammonium Molybdate to form a blue complex which is used to measure the concentration. And nitrogen and phosphorous don't really contribute to Algal Bloom growth.
I said phosphates fore eutrophication.

lance687876

HSC
Uni Grad
You're answering the CORE topics, it's possible that you get 0 because the core topics specifically tell us what cells to use.
Dude you are like the biggest retard ever. Don't say shit you don't know.
In a past paper they asked a question where they asked you to name one type of cell other than lead acid or dry cell and compare it. THIS WAS IN THE CORE SECTION
It asked you to explain the impact on society
THE BOOK TALKED ABOUT THE MERCURY CELL!
So yes it is a part of the core topic . YOU WILL NOT GET 0 IF YOU TALKED ABOUT THIS

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
Dude you are like the biggest retard ever. Don't say shit you don't know.
In a past paper they asked a question where they asked you to name one type of cell other than lead acid or dry cell and compare it. THIS WAS IN THE CORE SECTION
It asked you to explain the impact on society
THE BOOK TALKED ABOUT THE MERCURY CELL!
So yes it is a part of the core topic . YOU WILL NOT GET 0 IF YOU TALKED ABOUT THIS
ಠ_ಠ That part of the syllabus did actually specify certain cells; two of which you could choose from two seperate lists. Although the question itself did not specify this, it suggested it through 'human demand' and 'technology' where galvanic cells are used far more extensively in such applications as opposed to the Mercury Cell which is really only used in Industry, where only the product is used in the applications.

So you won't get 0 but it still isn't entirely correct nor is it able to completely answer the question.

Sindivyn

HSC
Yeah as Someth1ng mentioned, those are anions. So there is no other feasible way of determining their concentration other than Colourimetry (Or Gravimetric Analysis but lol). Algal blooms do use up DO but they are not the sole reason that levels in DO decrease; large amounts of waste in water, increase in temp etc. So, it's alright but I don't think you'll get full marks.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there probes that are able to detect nitrates/phosphates?

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there probes that are able to detect nitrates/phosphates?
Oh, there probably are. I'm just basing that on what the syllabus requires from us and the Chemistry textbooks we were given at school.

lance687876

HSC
Uni Grad
ಠ_ಠ That part of the syllabus did actually specify certain cells; two of which you could choose from two seperate lists. Although the question itself did not specify this, it suggested it through 'human demand' and 'technology' where galvanic cells are used far more extensively in such applications as opposed to the Mercury Cell which is really only used in Industry, where only the product is used in the applications.

So you won't get 0 but it still isn't entirely correct nor is it able to completely answer the question.
The syllabus asks you to compare a dry or lead acid cell to a button cell. I talked about the mercury button cell. And l destroyed it, with the help of the previous question. It was used for watches.
And it did not refer to a specific type of cell.

LifeBoats

Wizard.
HSC
The syllabus asks you to compare a dry or lead acid cell to a button cell. I talked about the mercury button cell. And l destroyed it, with the help of the previous question. It was used for watches.
And it did not refer to a specific type of cell.
Oh the Mercury BUTTON CELL! Someth1ng was referring to the Electrolytic Mercury Cell/Process that produces NaOH.

lance687876

HSC
Uni Grad
Oh the Mercury BUTTON CELL! Someth1ng was referring to the Electrolytic Mercury Cell/Process that produces NaOH.
dude, this is like the second time you didn't know what you were talking about :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)