General Thoughts: English Paper 1 2006 (1 Viewer)

HSC
Section 1: A little odd I must admit. The landscape question o_o W.t.f. I think everyone must've interpreted that differently.

Section 2: More specific than I expected. At first I was annoyed, but I managed to make something up on the spot. It was alright...could have been better if I had more time to think over the plot.

Section 3: I did imaginative journeys. I personally didn't like the question because it didn't fit with what I had prepared. I just tried to chuck in the word "speculation" where I could :p

Oh well, no time to mope/dwell. I'm just glad journeys is over. Never again will I have to write that essay. Now on to Paper 2! x_x

Lulu_6622

HSC
section 1: excellent . i always love section 1 its the easiest by far

section 2: was alright introduced the old man saying something inspirational and then killed him off lol i referred back to wat he said though and included stuff bout discovery which fit pretty well with what i had prepared.

section 3: specualtion, arguement, wat the??? i made one but then realised half way though i should have done the other side but i made a compremise and it was all good didnt get to do too much on my related though, did good on the prescribed

Sammie89

HSC
really im not to sure as to how i went i have a feeling that i didnt write enough about techniques in the first part my story i think i did ok in just used it as a line from a book and my essay i seemed to have forgotten how to write an essay and forgot most of my points so i dont think i had a strong line of arguement but oh well

campersdemise

HSC
geez! HOW EASY WAS THAT!!!!

Haha i guess my HSC preparation of 12 hours plus a day really paid off. Anyway, i did 8, 10 and 10 pages each. I'm a bit dissappointed cause i write really small, and if i used bigger handwriting, i could of done maybe 35+? I think so anyway.

For section 2, it is in my firm belief that an outlined thesis conjuction of the metaphysical elements of the body and soul to that of the landscape is pivotal to success. In my response, i drew upon the closeness of the the poem to that of Margret Atwood. Anyone here who wants to get halfway decent should of wrote about that. Shame on those who didnt.

Band 6 FTW.

Last edited:

sillysana

HSC
omg it was so bloody hard. im soooo depressesd i mean i normally ace English...its my fave subject plus journeys is quite straightforward....but the hsc....my final and most important exam for english....Totally stuffed up- mismanaged time...didnt write welll enough...just overall s***house BIG TIME....
imaginative journeys question: the "processs" of specualtion" ???????????? Which genius thought up that question????
I overall HATED it :burn:

meteorangela

HSC
I don't think it was fair at all!!! they had different questions for section 3 - i thought the physical one was the hardest, and surprise surprise - that is what i'm doing!

It was horrible because i didn't know if i answered it correctly.

As for the other 2 sections, "meh", i'm too worried about section 3 to even remember what it was..

gracerawl88

HSC
omg thank christ, thought i was the only person in NSW to do a feature article for section 2. been texting my teacher begging for solace! stressing but ah well.
i only found out today that standard eng cant get band 6's.. any one else know that? howse that work out wen 40% of it is a common paper? werid, glad im doing adv, much more interesting neway.

rivergumrob

HSC
Man i cant believe all you people that can write so much...i write my fastest and i did (6,3,7) which (if you can count) is only 17 pages...the fact that my creative writing was half a poem kinda makes it difficult for that section to be long but...
hmmm i hate english

rivergumrob

HSC
Clearly i cant count...it was 16 pages...dammit, and i still have 3 unit maths to do...hmmm

rivergumrob

HSC
campersdemise said:
geez! HOW EASY WAS THAT!!!!

Haha i guess my HSC preparation of 12 hours plus a day really paid off. Anyway, i did 8, 10 and 10 pages each. I'm a bit dissappointed cause i write really small, and if i used bigger handwriting, i could of done maybe 35+? I think so anyway.

For section 2, it is in my firm belief that an outlined thesis conjuction of the metaphysical elements of the body and soul to that of the landscape is pivotal to success. In my response, i drew upon the closeness of the the poem to that of Margret Atwood. Anyone here who wants to get halfway decent should of wrote about that. Shame on those who didnt.

Band 6 FTW.

As a final note, i should add rh is n00b.
hey its wonderful that everyone thinks you're awesome, but boasting can get irritating sometimes...

the_essence

HSC
THat was generally a pretty easy exam if u prepared REALLY well for it. Although limited in scope, i liked the journeys questions as they will distinguish bw prepared essays and the ppl who actually answered the bloody question.

But seriously, "interpretations of the new" for physical journeys-WTF?? U culd really make it ur own and bullshit ur way through it saying interpretations of new lands and experiences propagate a psychological reaction leading to inner change.

s2indie

HSC
:D I feel pretty good.

As soon as I put the full stop to my conclusion, the supervisor said "pens down". So it's alll good.

sillysana

HSC
ok...question : does it really matter how many pages you write... i mean isnt it quality not quantity...i definetly did not write 16 pages for my essay as the essence did!!! i did like 4 pages....
am i screwed??????

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
spadijer said:
Section 1, was simple, allowing you to discuss metaphors, imagery, delayed denucoment, word choice ect. 11 pages.

Section 2 was evil. I propounded a postmodern narrative in a

Q: [He smiles]
A: What was it like? A dream? the golden eyes ripe with an ox-blood vision of war?

format. Basically I did a creative concept of a sea monster being conveyed in oral history. No one believes the man of his discovery of knowledge (a library of truth) within the stomach of a seamonster. Story ends with the revelation that his daughter was listening to him, and that hes blind, guiding him down the road of life. We also discover that he has gash across his face (supporting his story) - and people on the other side of the world experiencing what the man had just articulated: "Far, far away, out in the sunshine a group of fishermen were battle an estrange sea monster". 6.5 pages, medium size writing.

Section 3 was the raddest. Inner journeys clearly presented itself as a 'for' option - not only because the characters are forced to experience a series of epiphanies but because the responder also needed a sefl-realisation and reflect upon their prejudices.

Basically, I discussed the concept of growth and obstacles being a correlative factor in the inner journey - In particular, I structured my thesis based on techniques used by the composer and how they represented the concept of 'self-realisation '- and how techniques such as symbolism, contrast, pronoun shifts and a nostalgic tone were evident in all my texts.

My Place and the use of paternalist imagery, road not taken was connected to Nan: telling her story in ages and ages hence and my related text, called Summer Storm - which was about a kid coming to the self-realisation that hes...well..gay. Again correlating with the choices Frost made in life. I discussed the use of colour, rain, weather patterns, bird call motifs as metaphors for the challenges self-realisation entails and how responders we are forced to espouse the ideas being expounded. Michel Foucault was useful for this. Hence, self-realisation and admiting the nature of one self is essential in an inner journey as it leads to growth on two levels: responder and character. 10 and half pages.

I do feel sorry for people who did the physical journey, although if you propounded a thesis on the aesthetic nature of the journey and perhaps on the connection between the physical, inner and imaginative.
okay, you know what? i hate you. because you sound way too intelligent for your own good and your story sounded awesome and if all that is true then i am intensely jealous of you. and you just destroyed all illusions that i had of myself as intelligent.

no hard feelings. i'm just really really jealous of your apparent astounding English abilities and i wish i was like you.

the_essence

HSC
sillysana said:
ok...question : does it really matter how many pages you write... i mean isnt it quality not quantity...i definetly did not write 16 pages for my essay as the essence did!!! i did like 4 pages....
am i screwed??????
Well, to think of it, unless ur writing is REALLY tiny, then u did too little to get an A range response, even if it was a good quality essay. U mite not be screwed thou if those 4 pages were really good thou. If that's any consolation.

sillysana

HSC
ok then...so tell me how i can write a good amount for paper two....??? how do you manage.....
oh and i think i do have tiny handwriting

campersdemise

HSC
rivergumrob said:
hey its wonderful that everyone thinks you're awesome, but boasting can get irritating sometimes...
You must be a fool to think i was serious. Band 1 all the way~

karumi

HSC
ahhh I was so disappointed. i didn't like the creative writing, it was SO limiting an dI spent way too much time adapting it to my prepared story. then section one was terrible and my essay was bludgered cause of the lack of time. >_<

hope I do better in the modules ... :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)